SITE REVIEW: Small Business Website

• kevsterb007
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kevsterb007

Post 3+ Months Ago

URL removed...
This is a small business website I've recently done. The owner specified all the visual stuff, but dosn't like what he said to do... (once you see it done you change your mind...)
What could I do to Jazz this thing up?! It's plain and boring right now. HELP PLEASE!
  • EddieFelson
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EddieFelson
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am getting a server not found with that link, and still nothing showing when i add the www to make sure
  • kevsterb007
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kevsterb007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, the link is fixed now...
  • EddieFelson
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EddieFelson

Post 3+ Months Ago

kevsterb007 wrote:
http://dbgeneralcontractor.com
This is a small business website I've recently done. The owner specified all the visual stuff, but dosn't like what he said to do... (once you see it done you change your mind...)
What could I do to Jazz this thing up?! It's plain and boring right now. HELP PLEASE!

Lol he told you that once you see it done you change your mind?

Well i dont like that image in the banner, its very bland and unclear, i think its a mountain top/range?

The navigation is in a place i wouldnt usually associate navigation to be but it works okay. You have kept the same colour as DB logo for navigation on (maroon) which is a nice consistent touch.

Depending on your content to come from the client, i would maybe just try to add some images to brighten it up a little. I mean if your tied to the banner you can only really jazz up your content/layout, and i wouldnt expect the content to be so brilliantly exciting etc. Unfortunately you just have to create nice clean and sometimes quite bland sites to suit your client. At the end of the day he has asked for it :).

Maybe if he has some testimonials you could put them in a left or right div and set them to random everytime the page is loaded.

Good luck!
  • kevsterb007
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kevsterb007

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya, he told me that "it didn't look like he invisioned it" but it's ok...

I think the banner could be a-lot better. He was thinking that a mountian-ish banner would be good, since he's located in tennessee...

We'll be adding some good job images later. But the layout/design is at the top of the list. Once we have a good design, then the pics can come...
  • EddieFelson
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EddieFelson

Post 3+ Months Ago

kevsterb007 wrote:
ya, he told me that "it didn't look like he invisioned it" but it's ok...

I think the banner could be a-lot better. He was thinking that a mountian-ish banner would be good, since he's located in tennessee...

We'll be adding some good job images later. But the layout/design is at the top of the list. Once we have a good design, then the pics can come...

well this is a site i just plucked from a google of general contractors tennessee
http://www.jedunn.com/jedunn.aspx?pgID=950 looks okay. Or you can always check out http://WWW.cssbeauty.com or cssvault.com if your looking for some idea's/inspiration.
  • harlequeen
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Wales

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I think your banner is too big, it takes up a good third of the page and doesn't add anything as it is bland. Perhaps it should be about a third of the depth it is at the moment. The hillside doesn't work for me, it looks like it could be a mound of sand or clay as there is no detail in it.

The white section would benefit from more content, maybe two boxes within it to give it more visual impact.

Cheers
  • TeknoPathetic
  • TeknoPathetic
  • Loc: The Matrix

Post 3+ Months Ago

ADD MORE COLOR. Thats a biggie.

put a good 2px border along it, with some nice, interesting rollover effects.

Have the "House" thing thicker and darker. Have a really cool mountain range(like the Rockys) in the background. Good Thick text helps too
  • kevsterb007
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kevsterb007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I'll try some of your suggestions and I'll post back when finished...
  • kevsterb007
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kevsterb007

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, I've thrown it around alittle. It's worthy of mentioning now, still not great though. I feel I'm at the point that I should have started from now. What do you think? (I really need help...)
  • TLP
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • TLP
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is very simple but perhaps too simple in that it lacks information. It should include more info about the services that you offer and a bit more info on the company. I love the blueprints on the home page.
  • EddieFelson
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EddieFelson

Post 3+ Months Ago

kevsterb007 wrote:
ok, I've thrown it around alittle. It's worthy of mentioning now, still not great though. I feel I'm at the point that I should have started from now. What do you think? (I really need help...)

Well its not as bad as i first thought :), i looked at it in mozilla then clicked over to IE which looks much better. Overall i think it looks better than before.

My points of concern would be: Its a random image for your banner, i.e. wall blueprints etc. I would pick one and stick with it. I think that i like to know which site i am at and the banner is quite a integral part, so when it changes its possible i dont know immediately which site i am at if i have a few windows open.

I would really think about moving your content/text to line up with home navigation. move it left and maybe mix it up with some images. Or put some kind of content in the left hand side of the page under the home navigation. It looks really bare and its 15-20% of your width of page just white space.

Navigation is okay to me, but if you wanted to make it stand out more maybe apply a box effect/border bottom and give it a bgcolour on hover? This may make it stand out a little more.

One final thing, and this might just be my old eyesight going :), with the logo and the wall combination as your banner, is there any kind of blur effect? as around the db to me look blurry. Its very late here though so i wouldnt take my word for it!

I dont think you have much more to do though and i am glad you ditched that hill!
  • kevsterb007
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kevsterb007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, that is a blur effect behind the logo. I'm still trying to figure out how to work that in better: http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72709&highlight=&sid=07505d912966aed0c0a47cbef5ee1712

And yes, I want to do somthing better with the navigation to make it stand out alittle more... Also going to integrate some pics in with the content AND a job/work gallery. Some before and after pics and stuff. (On my to-do list)

Thanks for the great post, EddieFelson :D
Anything else?
  • Gorpus
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

first of all you need to: structure your home page layout!
at themoment it seems to be under construction.
as to header image.. so if i were you,, i'd choose another one.
now it annoys and disorganizes a litle bit.
  • kevsterb007
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kevsterb007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could you clarify? What do you mean by "structure"?
  • NewEra
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • NewEra

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok
i may have different opinion here but I DO LIKE THE BANNER
(as unfinished banner)
meaning, the pictures used inthe banner very good and too suitable to your site BUT need some graphical touch to be showing off in a better way, (Ex: 2 pictures joined adding some effects, a human face using this pictures as background, etc...)
as for the pages itself: Here is the problem,
i think you have lot of space to add more pictures to it, why you don't add it
you can make a graphical colorfull background to the the line (RESIDENTIAL AND ...)
  • kevsterb007
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kevsterb007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just can't think of anything better to do! Mabe one of you could post some variation of it? Spice it up abit...
  • kevsterb007
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • kevsterb007

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, totaly re-design (again) I believe this one is much better...

what do you think? There are a few slight differences b/t firefox and IE... What could be improved?
  • fluffysammy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Isle of wight

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Yes! It is very bland and boring isnt it. :?
not really your fault as i think they need to give you abit more info to write on it. the only page used fully is the "contact" page all the others the writting is swomped by the page,.
:idea: maybe soem photos of work they have done would be good acroos the bottom of the first page?
or if they have none , photos of the place they are based or even the area.
that would surtainly fill up the space and make it bit less drab.
you could change the colour that is outside the site border to a darker colour, this will make the site stand out and look smaller which might help mask the lack of content.
maybe on the contactpage a couple of animations i.e email me one i have some on my site that i can email you if you want?
BUT on the plus side! the colour of the site is really good and works well with the description, and the pic at the top is good :D
sammy xx

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers