SITE REVIEW: Solos Pizza Cafe

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all our client is concerned about load times and performance. I can't seem to verify the issue. Can anyone else verify or tell me about general performance problems. Thanks

Word of warning this SITE IS LIVE please don't test the contact section unless you really want to know information about Solos pizza

The site... http://www.solospizzacafe.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• eski009
  • eski009

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, I really like this site.

something a bit different and quirky.

I didn't have any load problems - only thing I will say is that as you are using flash throughout, your site is unlikely to rank well in search engines.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Eski009 Thanks for your thoughts.
  • artcoder
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

It loads very quickly for a Flash site. I didn't even notice a loading bar. That's very good. I like the sliding animation.

I know that I'm suppose to click the "planets" in the home page. But for some reason, I got the urge to click the center Solos banner as well. And I actually clicked it (which of course nothing happened). So you might want to make that clickable to some page like the menu, in case other people have itchy fingers and clicks it too.
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

The load time was surprisingly fast, and I was honestly impressed. The only thing I have a problem with is the vertical scroll. I am running Windows XP, Firefox 2.0, and my resolution is 1280*1024.
  • chiara
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • chiara
  • Loc: Santa Clara, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi graphixboy

Nice flash work indeed! Very attractive, and light at the same time (yes, it did load extremely fast with me as well)

It's good you are detecting the flash plugin and displaying a notice to non-flash users. Maybe on this non-flash page you should also list some contact info, etc (in case the site visitor does not have time to download the flash plugin right now..)

The PDFs (order form and application) took a bit too much to load with me, maybe you should check if there's any way to optimize them (the menu was ~500K for 1 page I think..isn't that too much?)

Very good job otherwise!

Rgds

Chi
  • YFFA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, that may be the best site I've seen for a pizza store. I mean you usually dont see that kind or creativity and interaction for a restuarant. keep up the good work.

"E"
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
The only thing I have a problem with is the vertical scroll. I am running Windows XP, Firefox 2.0, and my resolution is 1280*1024.

Very strange. The site is supposed to be 100% x 100% (drag the window you should see everything resize and recenter) Can you elaborate on the issue a bit more? I'm using FF 2.0.0.2 on XP and can't replicate the problem. Did you not see a scroll bar and needed one or was there a scroll bar that seemed like it shouldn't be there?

Thanks for the kudos everyone. Its been fun to design a site to match the personality of the buisness.[/quote]
  • daydaysite
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • daydaysite

Post 3+ Months Ago

The flash is very nice! I like it so much!

However, some enhancement will make it better. I have the following suggestions on your website..
1. Order Form - Use e-form, email will make it more efficient
2. Whole flash file is hard to indexed by search engine
3. Add some photo is good idea to attractive peoples
  • thereexist
  • Born
  • Born
  • thereexist

Post 3+ Months Ago

Honestly, your site shocked me! Great work with flash!

I don't personally agree with the earlier comment about making the logo a link. I agree that people tend to be drawn to click on random things, however it doesn't mandate that you have to cater to everyone's urges to click everything.

Otherwise I was very impressed with the navigation on the page.

Adding SEO would help with search engine, however like you said it may not be that important to the client.
  • Lori45
  • Lori45

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like the pages (the inner pages) - looks great.

Regarding the homepage - I would prefer it static - I don't really like those movements, the objects sometime cover each other

:-)
  • dorian
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Albania

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's the best site i've seen for a pizza store.the loading time is short because you have not added some photo
you must make a photo gallery
and there is alot of movement(too much)
the pdf file is too large (my firefox crashed when i tried to open it)
the flash file is hard to by indexed by search engines
  • dootzky
  • Born
  • Born
  • dootzky

Post 3+ Months Ago

excellent work, perhaps the loading time could be little more optimized, but overall -> great job! :)

ch33rzs,
dootzky
  • Joe426
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

good site great design, looks good.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's quick enough ... We've got a 512kbps line shared between 3 users and it took me exactly 13seconds to download your page ... I don't see anything wrong with that ...
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, one more thing, wouldn't it be cool if you could make a button stop when the mouse is moved over it ... for example on "fax an order"'s mouseover event then that button stops moving and then on the mouseoff event it starts moving again ... I think that would be cool!
  • gindi107
  • Born
  • Born
  • gindi107

Post 3+ Months Ago

its a very nice flash site, but it is running too slow =/,
good luck.
  • zeus1000
  • zeus1000

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice website! And its fast.
  • tomas7
  • Born
  • Born
  • tomas7

Post 3+ Months Ago

GREAT WORK!
  • baybee8509
  • baybee8509

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the site is great...only downer is lots of flash! You have a very simple site that is direct and it works with users just looking for a good pizza place.

Keeping it simple is the best thing you can do!

Good luck!
  • gsgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gsgfx
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good lord...

that is one of the (if not THE) most proffesionally designed sites I have seen. The transitions from page to page is beautiful...animation is smooth and I like the mood and color theme of this site. Amazing! Loading time was perfect and I don't see any scrollbars. I'm using 1280x1024 FF on Mac. It really puts my pizza store site to shame :p

This layout really got some ideas going for a few clients on my list...

Thanx for this eye candy for a website ;)

After reading some of the pages, I can say that you, my friend, have a good sense of humour. It's a very friendly site that doesn't go astray from what it's supposed to do.

D@mn...I'm hungry now...
  • Sheepdip
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Castle Anthrax

Post 3+ Months Ago

I inherited the privilege (*cough*) of managing two 100% flash-based sites and had occasional load times of >1 min. Your site is incredibly clean. I loaded it in less than 5 seconds over a 3mbps dedicated circuit. I can say, without question, that this is the cleanest 100% flash site I've ever seen.

In regard to your SEO hopes... best wishes. The customer who had the two 100% flash sites replaced them both in about a year because of so much lost business (LOTS of $). They are both back on the straight-and-narrow and growing again.

For a local pizza shop, I think you've got something great. I'd keep it! :)
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the comments everyone.

For eveyone who commented about SEO and Flash there are several things to keep in mind.

A). Flash if deployed correctly does not hurt SEO. Also proper META information for keywords, etc means that the spider doesn't have to rely on the page content alone. Sadly the statistics say that only about 3% of websites (HTML sites included) make proper use of meta content.

B). There are many ways to increase search ranking WITHOUT relying on page content. Several that come to mind are buying keywords (google ad words), link sharing, etc.

C). In some cases, like this site, there isn't enough real content even if the site if the site were easily available to spiders. This site is all marketing speak which does nothing for search placement. (remember the spider is looking for keywords and links). So in this case even if the site wasn't Flash we would need to find other solutions instead of relying on site content.
  • Timothy
  • Born
  • Born
  • Timothy

Post 3+ Months Ago

good site great design, looks good.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the help all. The client never said anything else about the load time so maybe it was just their net connection on that day.
  • CyberOne
  • Born
  • Born
  • CyberOne
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice job once again. I was surprised by how well the flash worked throughout the site and specially liked the main menu. Great job once again. :)
  • roopal arora
  • Born
  • Born
  • roopal arora

Post 3+ Months Ago

hiiii,
I suppose you have done a Great Job indeed I basically like that random movements and your great work with flash!

Keep It Up!
Rupal Arora
Website Designing India
  • Adam Burnell
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Adam Burnell
  • Loc: Melbourne

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great flash. I really enjoy sites where you have a huge background you can travel around on.

Load times are fine for me, I am on cable however - keeping this in mind I would be happy if I built this site and it loaded as well as it does.

Cheers.
  • pearl5
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • pearl5

Post 3+ Months Ago

the load time was surprisingly fast
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
Sorry, one more thing, wouldn't it be cool if you could make a button stop when the mouse is moved over it ... for example on "fax an order"'s mouseover event then that button stops moving and then on the mouseoff event it starts moving again ... I think that would be cool!

I'm all for that. I actually expected that when I moved my mouse over one of those "planets".

Also, ironically, I had to find the "Find Us" planet. It happened to be under "How are we doing?" planet.

Otherwise the site is an original creation.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 32 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers