•  
    don't quit your day job, lach

SITE REVIEW: Sparkwash.com

• lachlanmullen
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lachlanmullen

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please let me know what you think of my site. All elements open for discussion, but I am particularly interested in getting those expanding tables to work in other browsers (if you comment please tell me what browser you're using and if they worked, thanks), cause now they're only for IE as far as i can tell.

http://www.sparkwash.com

Shalom
~L
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off, I would like to say that I just noticed you are from Washington. I am located there too. Its a great place but I get tired of the rain, and am excited for summer. Anyway onto reviewing...

I am using IE 6 on Windows XP pro. The layout looks clean and all the menus work with no problems. To me it looks like its missing something at the top between red symbol on the left and the face on the right. Maybe that would be a good place to put the site title?

Also speaking of the red logo in the top left, I am just curious to what it is? Two things come to mind for me, either a lock, or a disk. I am not absolutely sure though.

I just opened up your site now in Netscape 7 and the design still looks exactly the same, however none of the menus will expand.

In Netscape 6.2 the design also looks the same however it seems to be expanded a bit (more spaces between sentences).

In Netscape 4.7 the design does not work, and you might want to work on that if you care for that browser. Ozzu also doesn't work for that old browser but we may look into supporting that as well.

In the latest version of Opera everything looks fine and all menus work great.

In the latest version of Mozilla the layout looks fine, however there are more spaces between sentences again like with Netscape 6.2, also the menus do not work again.

Other than browser compatibility the site looks good. The main thing I might suggest is to put a little more of something on the main page to grab attention. Pictures usually grab peoples attention more than text. However I do not know your main goal of the site. I just think you need an attention grabber. Hope that helps :)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice little minimalistic approach to the site. I like the colors, crisp and
clean. Cool useof dhtml menus...very user-friendly and keeps the page
from being too long. Also, allows the user to read the content if they
want, not cuz you force it on them. I really like that.

I thikn you should add the site's title somewhere at the top in the
header. It's got a big empty space betweent eh spark plug and the
face graphic. The site's name would naturally fit in that space.

Pretty cool lookign site. :D
  • Steen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks good, very clean and to the point.

I also didn't see a problem with the tables in Netscape.

May I suggest one thing though?

your gray outlined border is equal all around.
I can see you need it thick at the top as you have data in it
but how about the ones down the left, right and bottom,
perhaps reducing those to size 1 or 2

just a thought, I believe with lesser border frame
going down the page would look nicer.

seems like a pretty thick border all around,
but hey - could have been what you were going for.

just my two pennies.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very simple and 2 the point.. Whatever "point" it is your making.lol... I would agree with Unflux, you should add the title of the site at the top, in the empty space and Steen's idea with the boarders would look good too....

Here's a nickel, keep the change :P
  • turdmonsterGIA
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice, though Im not too fond of the colors. The heading could also use something to fill in the void too. I love that drop down menu system you got there...
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is not bad i like it a little but i dont like the colors to much
  • RBeau
  • Student
  • Student
  • RBeau
  • Loc: Aurora, CO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Works great on my Machine... I'll have to say I am not fond of the colors, BUT i noticed the colors do go well with the pictures that rotate on the page.

I really like the links and how they drop down like that it is really a neat thing. I am not sure you wanted that weather thing up ther covering your logo, but everytime I come to the main page I have to close it or else it seems like there is something that is missing... It is almost as annoying as those darn popups that seem to scroll out of the middle of the page and cover it up, but then you cannot minimize it until you find the really really tiny "close this window" box.

But anyway I think it is very professional looking otherwise, and now that i look at it more I would keep the colors as they are.

Ohhh, and I think the Site Name right next to the spark plug isn't on all the other pages.

RBeau
  • sandford36
  • sandford36
  • Loc: England UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I quite like the site although i dont know weather its my connection but i do have quite a bit of trouble getting onto this site with regards to the ammount of time it takes to load i would look into this in more detail as you could be loosing hits to this
  • Lauranicole17
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site with a really nice layout and everything but on my computer it took a long time to load.
  • sandford36
  • sandford36
  • Loc: England UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good website it took a very long time to load on my machine approx 4-5mins you could look at reducing any images or getting a faster server ??
  • lachlanmullen
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lachlanmullen

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey, sorry for being such a loser and ignoring this forum for so long.

sheesh.

i thank you for the comments and whatnot on the site, you are all very generous.

i am trying to get up a new version of the site, playing with an IFrame and some floating divs and stuff.

ps, no worries, i axed the weather thing in the new one.

my only problem so far to putting it frontside is that my scripts won't run. i am serious, i do not consider myself a newbie by any means, but i have looked and looked at my code and cannot find anything wrong with it. a glance at mu code at http://www.sparkwash.com/betawould be sweet, if you would.

catch ya on the flipside...

lach
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not positive, but I think you need to put the clock function in the head section to prevent that object expected error.
  • lachlanmullen
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lachlanmullen

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you for the quick reply.

i tried moving the date component of the clock, but as for the clock part itself, it cannot be moved without moving the readout too.

also, the clock element remains unchanged as a carry-over element from the previous page version found in the root directory (http://www.sparkwash.com/index.html)

the whole thing is very [blur]perplexing[/blur].

any other ideas?
  • lachlanmullen
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lachlanmullen

Post 3+ Months Ago

whorray!

http://www.sparkwash.com/

now to fix the colors...

:)

lach
  • Bigwebmaster