SITE REVIEW: Spiral Cat Translations

• fitzpatrickbrett
  • fitzpatrickbrett
  • Loc: Vienna

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am having fun creating a website at

http://www.spiralcat.co.uk

I am quite new to site creation and would have remained off line if it were not for an article in the international herald tribune which talked about Microsoft Office live.
A website for free!
The site is working in the sense that our translation customers like it but I want it to be more. I am frustrated with my lack of control over things like the navigation and the upload limit of 100kb seems tight to me because I want to put a lot more animation on the site than is already there.

I imagine links and search engines will take people to the areas that interest them e.g http://www.spiralcat.co.uk/space_ships.aspx and so it does not seem important that everything on the site is part of the same theme.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

In FF the top header doesn't look the same as it does in IE7 ... please have a look in FF aswell ...

The W3C Validator found 60 errors on your homepage ... You can click here to see them ...

Then it looks real funny that your menu is longer (left to right) than the header is ... It looks real awkward ...

The next thing I'd look into is moving away from tables and starting using CSS and HTML to make the coding much neater ...

You can also remove the link of the page that a user is on, for example if a user is on the "Advice on learning english" page, you can make that link static text, so that a user doesn't redirect to the same page again and again ...

I think your header image could use some tweaking, it looks a bit pixelated, it's a nice logo, but it could be just a little bit cleaner (less pixelated) ...

On the "original art and writing" page the images are all just placed underneath each other, I'm sure you can lay them out better ...

The map on the "English tuition" page could be a link to a larger one or something, it is unreadable ...

Then the sitemap ... that's not a sitemap ... it's a list of all the links on your page ... seeing that you have aspx pages I assume you're using "Microsoft Visual Web Developer" and with that you can easily buid a treeview style sitemap ... which would look much better and be better understandable aswell ...
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another thing I just saw is that there is a spelling error on the "sitemap" page ... it's one of those links ... it now reads: Animatoion Experiment ...
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

There seems to be a lot of empty space towards the end of every page, just above the footer which says "All rights reserved". You could consider fixing that.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers