SITE REVIEW: SplayTech

• mystic
  • mystic

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just opened my new electronics store at http://www.splaytech.com about a couple weeks ago and i would like any feedback. Please try to make those feedback seo feedback but i would like any and all feedback and don't be afraid to critisize constructively.

Just a lil about my site : in only have my site open for 2 weeks i allready am listed in dmoz.org and have had a few sales it looks like its going great just need some more feedback.
  • Mephistox
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Mephistox

Post 3+ Months Ago

all the cross outs give me a "shady" feeling about the site, I guess. Maybe it's just me, idk.

There is one layout problem, the Hot Weekly deal box has the printer's price half covered.

Otherwise, it looks like a good site.
  • mystic
  • mystic

Post 3+ Months Ago

your probably visiting the site using mozilla are you?

My site only looks good on Internet Explorer as of right now. I will work on fixing it for all browsers. Please visit the site using IE and then tell me what you think
  • mystic
  • mystic

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry for the double post but i now see what you mean about the cross outs, because i thought u were talking about what mozilla makes it look like. Well isn't the price cross outs a good marketing thing to do for your site because it makes people believe they are saving lots of money so they buy more. I was thinking instead of putting "was" i'm thinking of putting "retail price" or something like that
  • etechsupport
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wonder how you're going to ask your customers to visit your site using IE, most of the people are using mozilla/opera etc, I mean it should look nice in all platform. BTW you should optimize your site for SE and it need some motivational appeal to your customers to click on its pages.
  • mystic
  • mystic

Post 3+ Months Ago

what are you talking about most people use IE compared to any other browser. IE is most popular. And yes your right i should fix my website to look good on all browsers i've tried before and its some hard work, i need to dedicate a lot of time to figure out how to fix it then fix it on each page of my site which is probably around 150. That will take a long time. I"ll fix that within a month but even not looking good in mozilla i've allready made so many sales! my website is going great!

btw every day i will improve on my site which wil make it better day by day.
  • DaveyBoy
  • DaveyBoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, my first impressions upon viewing this site (Firefox, 1280x1024) was that there is an abundance of Times New Roman or similar font. This is a serif font, which looks better in print than it does on a web site. To me, that's the biggest change you could make to add professionalism. Plus it's really easy to change that. It will just give it a more polished look if you use verdana, arial, tahoma etc.

Actually, as I look further I have noticed that you do use a few different fonts in different places. For example, the Testimonials box - the title, main testimonial and date and the one under it are in varying fonts and sizes and this definitely detracts from the consistency of the site. By all means, vary the sizes but it's better to keep to one typeface throughout the site imo.

Regarding the header - the logo doesn't really look too professional either - i feel it falls into the category of 'anybody could do that!', i don't mean to offend you with that comment but to me it just looks like a gradient/drop shadow creation.

The actual layout of the content is pretty good. Again, it will look even better if you convert it all to a better font. Hopefully that's in ur style sheet so it would be simple to change.

Horizontal scroll-bars at 1024x768 also, at least on my machine. This is quite important as on 800x600 it's missing off a whole section of your site!

When you make a site that is selling something, your design needs to make the potential customers feel comfortable and that they can trust your company. This is why your site needs a total face lift, because at the moment I don't think your hits will be equating to sales.
  • mystic
  • mystic

Post 3+ Months Ago

how does my font decrease my sales? when i go to a website to buy something i never say oh i don't like the font i'm going to leave.

what's the benefit of having tahoma throughout my site compared to times new roman? But i will take your advice and change it!

Quote:
Horizontal scroll-bars at 1024x768 also, at least on my machine. This is quite important as on 800x600 it's missing off a whole section of your site!

How exactly should i go about fixing this? I don't no much about fixing sites for different screen resolutions
  • DaveyBoy
  • DaveyBoy

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, i didn't mean the font was directly related to your sales - but having a professional look definitely is, and it was my point that the poor font choice is affecting the look. That's all.

Go about fixing it by using relative widths for the content area so it'll be thinner depending on the resolution.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers