SITE REVIEW: splextra.com

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would love to hear from people about what they think of my new site. It is only a couple of weeks old and i have gradually been nibbling away at it and i would like to hear from people what they think.

//removed by request. This site is no longer available.

I admit the content may not interest most people on this website but i wouldnt imagine that should alter people view in any way.

Thanks for any feedback

SB!

8)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heart of Midlothian lifer here!

Hi SB, a few comments on your site.

1. Colors - the white text on that #c6d1ff violet background is a little hard-to-read. Try something a little darker #9933cc perhaps?

2. Borders - not consistent, there is a blue border 90% up the left-hand-side of the page and no border on the other side.

3. Padding - some of your blocks of text are flush against the sides of your table, space it out a wee bit.

And a-side from adding content (key), you are doing well. Keep it up!
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a little bland at the moment. Try adding more images and perhaps a better layout - It's quite easy to knock up an attractive looking logo for the page title using Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.

The margins aound the main page content could be a little bigger - at the moment the text appears right up against the left border (in firefox anyway). I'd also suggest using a nicer font - maybe it's just me but I prefer the good old "Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" font family.

Also, my screen is set to quite a high resolution (1280x1024), and the main column of the page looks very small and squashed up compared to the available screen size. Perhaps set the width of the main content to be a percentage of the screen size rather than a fixed pixel width.

Now, to look at the CSS/Source....

Woah dude! I'd definately suggest you read up on CSS. These tutorials should get you started. Incorporating more CSS will allow you to get rid of all those tables cluttering up your source, and to style your page a little easier.

I'd recommend trying to code the page manually rather than using a generator (I'm guessing you used some kind of WYSIWYG editor). Not only will you get better control of the layout of your page, but you get a better understanding of HTML and CSS.

Keep at it though! :D

P.S. Aberdeenshire....and not one sheep on the page! Impressive! :D
  • katana
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

lionking wrote:
Heart of Midlothian lifer here!

Hi SB, a few comments on your site.

1. Colors - the white text on that #c6d1ff violet background is a little hard-to-read. Try something a little darker #9933cc perhaps?

2. Borders - not consistent, there is a blue border 90% up the left-hand-side of the page and no border on the other side.

3. Padding - some of your blocks of text are flush against the sides of your table, space it out a wee bit.

And a-side from adding content (key), you are doing well. Keep it up!

A Hearts fan? Seriously? Wow, it's a small world. :D
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

katana wrote:
A Hearts fan? Seriously? Wow, it's a small world. :D

Yup - love that team. I'm originally from N.Ireland so football (a.k.a. soccer) is in my blood. Never fancied the Rangers/Celtic thing much (boring) and I've always liked Hearts anyhow. Don't know why (to this day!) :D
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your feedback. First things first...the Dons rule! (glad i got that out of my head)

Back to business, i agree with the logo bit at the top, that was just a temporary measure as i am searching through the thousands of CDs i have to install Photoshop 6.0 on my computer. As soon as i have that installed i imagine i will get a new logo on, hopefully a much more impressive one.

The template i have used was from a site i found on the net. It was free and non problematic so i decided to use it. I wouldnt mind creating one from scratch but to be honest my HTML skills are pretty poor. I have actually been using the Dreamweaver program to update my site over the last couple of weeks.

As for the background colours such as the violet background, i cannot change that. As much as i have tried, i just cant seem to do it. I plan on keeping that colour scheme in the meantime and i think once i have sorted out this border line at the side, which 'Lionking' said was "not consistent", the reason this is not consistent was because it was not intended to be there. I am actually pleased it got there because it looks quite good. If i can sort it out and make it all of the way round the template then i think it would look quite smart.

I am not sure what you mean about the "blocks of text are flush" Lionking.

I will try my best to sort all of what has been said out, but as i have said previously its only been online in the last couple of weeks so its really early days. Hopefully in about a month or so i can maybe improve on it enough to make it work better for most people.

Thanks again though, feedback is really appreciated!
  • xandri
  • xandri
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks pretty good, and worth visiting if your a fan.
Maybe a background picture, like a soccer field, or a game in progress?

Pretty cool though.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I am not sure what you mean about the "blocks of text are flush" Lionking.

katana explained it better with 'text up against the border'. You seem to have fixed this though. The grey text on the violet background is better also. Keep it up!
  • webyourbusiness
  • Student
  • Student
  • webyourbusiness

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found it a little bland - bit it's not offensive in it's design.

There are a number of HTML errors which would only take a short while to fix:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... extra.com/

Fixing these minor issues will help ensure fewer browsers have issues displaying your page as you expect them to.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers