SITE REVIEW: Sports Directory

  • sports-facts
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sports-facts
  • Posts: 40
  • Loc: Detroit

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently launched a sports directory, http://www.hotsportslinks.com I have spent over $300 promoting and I am predicted to have a pr 6.
I designed it myself, what do you think. Recommendation are welcome, please be honest.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23460
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)
  • sports-facts
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sports-facts
  • Posts: 40
  • Loc: Detroit

Post 3+ Months Ago

oops typed it in wrong, click it in the sig

thank you
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23460
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, the page works now, but you really don't want my review, so I'll let the others give it.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1615

Post 3+ Months Ago

sports-facts wrote:
I am predicted to have a pr 6.

:rofl: - sorry too sore from laughing to post now. I'd love meman to see this!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23460
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

All the page rank predictors I checked showed the same results

Quote:
Results: Your current Google PageRank is 0. Based on our calculations, we predict your future PageRank after the next Google update will be 0.
  • sports-facts
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sports-facts
  • Posts: 40
  • Loc: Detroit

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
All the page rank predictors I checked showed the same results

Quote:
Results: Your current Google PageRank is 0. Based on our calculations, we predict your future PageRank after the next Google update will be 0.


please sticky this post so at the next update you guys can see what ediots you are, if I don't get at least a pr 5, I will pay you both $1000 in paypal. trust me

so sticky it, I am going to bookmark it then post at the next update
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23460
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tim, there's no need to pay any of us here. We're not a gambling site lol. Nor do we ever sticky reviews threads. I admire your high hopes, but with only 11 backlinks and only buying the domain name a couple weeks ago, I'll be highly surprised if you move to a 3 which is typically what most new sites get.

Anyway, I will give you a brief review. You need to check your spelling with a dictionary on every single page of your site. It's completely attrocious. And the descriptions of the categories are very weak. Cosmetically it looks OK, but just OK. Nothing to make it stand out against other sports directories.

You need to get links in there mighty fast if you want your directory to work. Personally, I don't see how it's going to. I run a sports site, and the first question I have is why would I want to pay to list at yours when I've got dozens of free directories I could list at.

And sorry about the jokes about your PR. The people that posted about it laughed about it, because we all know a PR 6 on a brand new site is about as likely to happen as lightening striking the moon.
  • sports-facts
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sports-facts
  • Posts: 40
  • Loc: Detroit

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Nothing to make it stand out against other sports directories.

You need to get links in there mighty fast if you want your directory to work. Personally, I don't see how it's going to. I run a sports site, and the first question I have is why would I want to pay to list at yours when I've got dozens of free directories I could list at.


thanks for the review.

I agree, but the site went live about 3 days ago, so of course the se's havn;t picked up many backlinks.

What will make it stand out, as I said I have heavily promoted it, over $300 spent, for more info view here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=131393

In terms of PR links i already have

PR 7 - (2 links)
PR 6 - (3 links)
PR 5 - (2 links)
PR 4 - (17 links)

based on http://www.fishseo.com/seo-tools-page-r ... links.html , that should be enough for a six, not including more promotion I will do.

People are stupid and buy links based on PR, so I figue if I can get a PR six, I can easily sell links for $10. I have already sold 2 links and made $30 in 4 days. Think about it, if I sell just 1 regular link a day, thats $3,650 yr.

Of course I'll have to wait for the PR update

Thanks
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23460
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

sports-facts wrote:

In terms of PR links i already have

PR 7 - (2 links)
PR 6 - (3 links)
PR 5 - (2 links)
PR 4 - (17 links)

based on http://www.fishseo.com/seo-tools-page-r ... links.html , that should be enough for a six, not including more promotion I will do.

People are stupid and buy links based on PR, so I figue if I can get a PR six, I can easily sell links for $10. I have already sold 2 links and made $30 in 4 days. Think about it, if I sell just 1 regular link a day, thats $3,650 yr.



Look at what you just said:
Quote:
People are stupid and buy links based on PR


Isn't that what you just did? Personally I think you approached it wrong. You are brand new. You have extremely few backlinks at sites most people never visit. (Personally I never visit directories. It's either Google, Yahoo or MSN and sometimes Ask Jeeves). I don't even go to DMOZ anymore since they have refused to list my site in nearly two years.

I would have offered a "Get it while it lasts" kind of free offer first to get links in your directory. PR 6 means nothing to people when they have to shell out money. Right now your site has almost no links in any category. Even with a PR 6 I wouldn't buy a link until I saw your site could be useful.
  • sports-facts
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sports-facts
  • Posts: 40
  • Loc: Detroit

Post 3+ Months Ago

No I did not buy links based on PR, rather the quality of site and how well the owner promoted it. Example, I have my site listed on http://www.alivedirectory.com even though my link is on a pr 0 page, because the owner has very heavily promoted, literally thousands and thousands of dollars, so I figred it was good value.

Giving away free links, could take away future business. Also, people are more likley to submit with fewer link because it makes their links more valueable. Plenty of people have pay for links, the paid directory world is higly oversaturated, yet there are tons of successful one's.

I respect your opinion, although I disagree with it. This argument is never going to end, so lets just stop it and move on.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23460
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never heard of http://www.alivedirectory.com nor would I visit it or use it now that I do. That's my point. OK I'll drop it, because it's clear you understand my point, and I perfectly respect your perogative to disagree with it. Tell you what, I'll make a deal with you. You list my site: http://www.boastingrights.com at your directory for free (it's a PR4 sports site), and I'll list your directory on my site. I'll keep your link up as long as you keep my link up. I monitor my stats every few days. I'll update you on how many visits I get from your site once a month for the next few months so you can monitor how well it's doing.

But for the record, you still need to address what's in the rest of my review. Sorry to be blunt, (but I'm always blunt and to the point when I review sites) your spelling is horrible.

//edit, I did tell you that you really didn't want a review from me
  • sports-facts
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sports-facts
  • Posts: 40
  • Loc: Detroit

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I've never heard of http://www.alivedirectory.com nor would I visit it or use it now that I do. That's my point. OK I'll drop it, because it's clear you understand my point, and I perfectly respect your perogative to disagree with it. Tell you what, I'll make a deal with you. You list my site: http://www.boastingrights.com at your directory for free (it's a PR4 sports site), and I'll list your directory on my site. I'll keep your link up as long as you keep my link up. I monitor my stats every few days. I'll update you on how many visits I get from your site once a month for the next few months so you can monitor how well it's doing.

But for the record, you still need to address what's in the rest of my review. Sorry to be blunt, (but I'm always blunt and to the point when I review sites) your spelling is horrible.

//edit, I did tell you that you really didn't want a review from me





thanks, you have got a deal.

Tell me your link title, url, and description and I'll add it. I'll be sure to look into the spelling

for my link, simple anchor text "Sports Directory" url http://www.hotsportslinks.com

which category would you like me to add you to

Thank You
  • PatentBoy
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • PatentBoy
  • Posts: 17
  • Loc: Manchester, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

While an SEO discussion is always useful, I think the design superficially needs a lot of work.

The first thing I would like to see done is using a few more choice icons. At least go to some clipart sites and convert any you like to ico files. (An easy way to do this is to use a favicon program. )

Also by only having one link in the majority of categories as a potential link purchases we would not be interested. How about putting some larger companies on for free for the first 3/4 months and approaching their smaller competitors. After the 3/4 months approach the large companies and say XX people have gone to your site from mine. How about sponsoring a link (higher up, larger, animation) or perhaps even remove it?
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1615

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
sports-facts wrote:
People are stupid and buy links based on PR


Look at what you just said:
Quote:
People are stupid and buy links based on PR


Isn't that what you just did?


I think you're right ATNO (http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=131393)
sports-facts on link above wrote:
I also am paying for a PR 7 link $40 month, I can not disclose that site at the request of the owner, but I can tell you I have a different pr 7 link from wikipedia.


ATNO/TW wrote:
I've never heard of http://www.alivedirectory.com nor would I visit it or use it now that I do.

Couldn't agree more.

sports-facts wrote:
based on http://www.fishseo.com/seo-tools-page-rank-back-links.h tml , that should be enough for a six, not including more promotion I will do.

Just some advice, don't trust any of these online PR predictors or algorithms.

The calculation for PR is constantly changing, and Google is considering placing less of an emphasis on backlinks with each update of it, as many sites have jumped on the BL bandwaggon to increase PR and it's gotten a bit out of control. :wink:

The best thing you can do is concentrate on making your site more appealing visually and improve on your content.

I wish you the best, but you have much work to do.
  • CoachLikeapro
  • Born
  • Born
  • CoachLikeapro
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm one of those stupid customers http://www.coachlikeapro.com that is in your sports directory...

I'm curious to know your progress.
  • slash007
  • Student
  • Student
  • slash007
  • Posts: 87

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have comprehensive sports directory.The design is good but simple.Also i think you are expecting quite a high PR.
  • lgjhost
  • Born
  • Born
  • lgjhost
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

His PR is 5 today on the google bar...not too bad.

Thanks
http://www.sports-facts.com
  • rmgr
  • Born
  • Born
  • rmgr
  • Posts: 3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice idea, and nice content. You need a new layout though.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6230
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

All right here's what I have to say ... The w3c validator found 216 errors on your home page's coding ... just in the home page!!!! Whoaaa! Click here to see them in action ...

No rollovers? Please add some rollovers ... that'd make a huge difference ... Please also disable the link of the page that a user is on for example if I am on "sports-links" page, make the "sports-links" button\link another colour and unclickable .. so that a user doesn't redirect to the same page again and again ...

As rmgr said: You really need a new layout ... There's absolutely nothing keeping me on your site, if I was just visiting there, I would've moved on within a few seconds ...
  • wallarookiller
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 47

Post 3+ Months Ago

All right besides the seo stuff it looks a little plain. It is a directory though so i guess it's about the same as all the others. Having a nich is a great idea to get more focused search results but maybe having a little more on the home page would spruce it up a bit. Maybe some sports news or articles and maybe throw in some rollovers on the links and a background could'nt hurt any way good luck and like everyone else said getting that high of a pr right off the bat is'nt as easy as you may think.

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.