SITE REVIEW: Starr Productions

• derrick
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • derrick
  • Loc: The other side of the cross fader

Post 3+ Months Ago

This seems like the place to get advice from the experts, I have worked on this website from Spring 2004 (my first and only website), adding pages and so on, I just added a few more links pages which I didn't add title or meta tags to yet, but I do it before the year is out....

http://www.starrproductions.com (same site as in my signature)

If anybody can give me advice on the "coding" of the webbie, I'll greatly appreciate it (I heard it's a little screwy).......[/url]
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Malmö, Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here goes...

- On the homepage the photos behind the logo text need to be removed or moved because they make it very difficult to read the text.

- You definitely a need a better logo for the site i.e. a anti-aliased image with some aspects of colour on a background of some sort. Also the logo on the homepage is different to the other pages which is bad.

- Replace the Javascript menu on the left of the site if you can and instead replace it with standard text links prettied up with CSS. Search engine crawlers will be able to find the pages on your site better. You have however repeated the main links as standard text links on the bottom of the pages which is good.

- Add a site map to the site to aid search engine crawlers.

- Standarize the look of the main content area on your pages. The main content area on the home page looks different to the other pages for example.

- Make the site logo at the top of the page link to the home page.

- Lose the counter on the home page. Counters don't really impress anymore and give your potential customers too much information about how the site is performing which could reflect badly on the company.

- Add Title attributes with short descriptive text to your links to better describe the content they link to e.g.
<a href="http://www.starrproductions.com/Our-Services.html" title="rates and list of services">Services & Pricing Page</a>. This will help the search engine crawlers learn more about the content on your site.

- Add copyright information to the footer of each page.

- Write unique, descriptive page titles for each of the pages on your site.

Overall though the site is very inconsistent i.e. fonts change from page to page, content area change, logos change. Enforce a stricter more consistent design on the site and this will help no end, as well as the points listed above.

I think the content on the site is very good and it would be a shame to see it wasted. :)

Good luck with it.
  • derrick
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • derrick

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, the easiest thing to do which you mentioned was removing the counter, that's done..

The toughest thing to do for me so far looks like the CSS.....(I don't even think I've heard of it) that's something that may take me a while to set-up.
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets. It is basically a method of displaying elements in HTML e.g. fonts, in a stylised manner. You can create some nice effects using CSS for example colour change on mouse rollover.

Ask some questions about CSS in the Website Design Forum.
  • derrick
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • derrick

Post 3+ Months Ago

gardenstew wrote:
Here goes...

- Add Title attributes with short descriptive text to your links to better describe the content they link to e.g.
<a href="http://www.starrproductions.com/Our-Services.html" title="rates and list of services">Services & Pricing Page</a>. This will help the search engine crawlers learn more about the content on your site.

Can you explain this just a little bit further......where would I put this is my meta-tags?

Hopefully I should have logo before the end of January, but for now I took your advice and placed the "logo" in the same spot on each page, and linked it back to the homepage. Also changed the javascript nav bar to a horizontal nav bar with text links and keep that in the same spot for each page except for the homepage which has pictures near the top.....
It does give the site a more consistent look....Thanks...
  • Sariki
  • Born
  • Born
  • Sariki

Post 3+ Months Ago

well basicly what he said was that you need to have alt text apear on each link
like you move your mouse over a link and it says "best prices and support" that is what he means. i believe
  • derrick
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • derrick

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought you could only do alt tags for images, didn't know you could have alt tags for regular text links.....Shows I got a lot to learn.... :oops:
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Similar to alt tags for images you can have text appear over any HTML element by using the title attribute of the HTML element. For example you could have a piece of text appear over a whole table row if you use the title attribute of the TR element..

Using the title attribute of the A tag means you can add additional descriptive text to the link other than the actual link text.

For an example of what I am talking about see my site http://www.seo-ireland.com/ and mouse over any of the links. View the HTML source to see the actual HTML.

:)
  • bradfordh
  • Born
  • Born
  • bradfordh

Post 3+ Months Ago

but i'm not sure what you're expecting people to feel when they land on it.

to me, it looks very cheap. and that'll be the users reflection on pricing and services. are you cheap? the photos are not professional nor are they appealing. their presentation and format isn't appropriate either.

i wouldn't feel comfortable putting in credit card information in this site.

also - i'm a big believer in quality of text - i think it does a great disservice to your site if done improperly:

-----

Our DJs in Maryland do everything from wedding receptions to small concerts

We have very competitive rates in the disc jockey industry

200% Money-Back Guarantee in writing on your contract

No traveling surcharges in the Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC Metro Area (We are located near the Silver Spring, MD area)

We are always constantly updating our musical library (over 150,000) songs

15 years of experience in the entertainment industry

DJ/MC team which allows us to be more interactive with you and your guests

We offer a "woman's touch" when it comes to special details at your wedding reception which most "Male" DJs will miss altogether

Our DJs give you a continuous mix of music during your event, we don't believe in"breaks"

Continuous help and advice for organizing your event from the first contact to the end of your event

_________

you should have a copy editor take a look at this it won't take much time- probably half an hour to clean this up.

i know people that pay up to 3k for music and entertainment for weddings. i would not feel comfortable paying more than a few hunred dollars for services through this site - if that. it's just much less than it could be and i think that if you were to sacrifice quality in the very beginning you won't be happy with the results revenue wise in 6 months to a year.

i would redo this site.

i hope that isn't too harsh, but i've had to overhaul a site a year later and wish i would have just done it right form the beginning.
  • derrick
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • derrick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, the copy porbably could use some work, but I don't receive all my deposits and payments through the site, about half are mailed to me, and the other half is through the site.

In my area, 3k weddings are very, very few. A buddy of mine which is probably one of top three highest charging wedding DJs in my area maxes out around 2k, I have several weddings already next year which are paying over $1,400.

But to get back on topic, please find me some DJ websites which are charging 3k on the average for a wedding in the Mid-Atlantic area, so I can take a look at them and see what I am doing wrong....
3k average for a wedding DJ is common in California, but not the mid-atlantic.....

As far as the photos on the homepage, they will be changed once I figure out the entire optimization and quality process....I could use some advice on that also....
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think bradfordh's critique was a little harsh :wink: . You're obviously just learning the web design business, so what you have isnt exactly as professional as it could be, and once you start learning css and maybe throwing in some flashy buttons and images, you're site should be fine. Your business is your business, so I dont thinking criticizing your pricing is what we're here for, but instead helping improve your sites image. If you can, start playing around with Macromedia Dreamweaver, maybe learn flash and fireworks and get into programs that do most of the work for you. The best way to create your site is to browse through similar sites, see how they do it, then make your own version of it. But keep at it, read up on web design and you'll get the hang of things. Your site has a lot of improvements ahead, but at least you have the content set and the only thing you have to worry about is the look.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers