SITE REVIEW: statistics canada web page contest

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is a web page i started today for statistics canada web page contest (my teachers idea) i want your review http://www.cowkiller.com/statcan
note not all the site is done and the menu bar on the left is not done yeat. the links to the other pages are at the bottem of each page

and this are the rulz and such to the contest

The Statistics Canada Web Page Contest
Winners' Web Pages

Sponsored by Dissemination Division at Statistics Canada, the web page contest encourages Canadian students from grade K and up to display data in creative ways. The web page (participants can submit more than one Web page) should display data visually and illustrate conclusions that can be drawn from the data.

Categories and Prizes

Prizes totaling $100 may be given in each grade. The winning entries will be posted to Statistics Canada's website. Winning entrants and their schools will receive certificates signifying the honour. Honourable mention certificates may also be awarded.

Closing Date

Submissions must be received by March 31.

Permissions

By submitting a web page, students agree that all rights, including copyrights, are assigned to and become the property of Statistics Canada.

Rules

Pages should fill a screen.
Subject matter is chosen by the participant(s) or their classmates from data contained on Statistics Canada's website (http://www.statcan.ca).
Your web page must include a link to the Statistics Canada data source.
Pages must not contain any marks, names or information that reveal the identity of the entrants.
Students may work individually or in teams. For those in K to 3, there are no restrictions on the size of the team. For the other grades, a team may have no more than six members. Teams may be made up of students from different grades, but will be judged at the highest grade level of a team member.
Entries from grade 4 and up must contain more than one graph. Entries from K to 3 students may contain only one graph and may be digital images of hand-drawn graphs.
Pages must be the original design and creation of the entrants themselves and be posted to a functioning website maintained by the school, teacher or student.
Evaluation

Teachers, statisticians and the webmaster will judge the pages for

overall impact of the display for eye-catching appeal and visual attractiveness.
the message's ability to demonstrate important relationships and patterns in the data, highlight obvious conclusions, and to stand alone without explanatory descriptions.
appropriateness of the graphics for the data.
creativity.
Submission

On or before March 31, send an e-mail to Learning resources containing a copy of the page as an attachment in HTML, and the following information:

Your name
Teacher
Teacher's e-mail address
School's phone number
School's fax number
School name and mailing address
Team members
Grade
Data source (URL)
Location of your website (URL)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a good start cowkiller. I'm sure you can do it. The only thing that is a little strange about it is the "w" in "world of smoking" seems to be cut off in IE6 on my machine. Also, I'm not sure I'm entirely fond of the yellow double back hashes dividing the bottom links. I'd make 'em white and a "pipe" vs. the backhashes.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanksi have know idea whatis up with the "w" it showes up on mine too. about the " \\ " i thought they were white it could just be my monter but thatnks
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is there to review?

You may want to enclose tag attributes in double quotes. Usually a good idea. Might have something to do with the 'w', but then again might not.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

aww i got it fixed anyway
thanks i will not need anymore reviews
  • roddog
  • roddog
  • Loc: Arkansas

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site has a positive feel to it but your focal point says Smoking Canadians which makes smoking look positive. Perhaps put something about quitting smoking instead and let that be your positive message.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of my best friends is a smoking canadian! :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks good, one thing I'd do though, is a mouseover highlight on the buttons in the left side navigation, and the huge gradient looks a little off along the top (the best viewed in 1024x768, and "Smoking Canadians" bits)...

Other than that, nice effort so far! :)
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for some more feed back and i feel i now have it all looking the way i want it and it is sent away
thanks to all the people who helped

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers