SITE REVIEW: stockfuel.com

• advanceflash
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • advanceflash

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is a site that I just designed and created.

http://www.stockfuel.com

Comments and bug spots would be very appreciated.

If you sign up now, you get 12 free products :)
Moderator Remark: Removed tracking/affiliate URI
  • drexter
  • drexter

Post 3+ Months Ago

Beautiful website. 9/10

- nice icons
- nice logo
- nice content
- again. Really nice! :)
  • advanceflash
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • advanceflash

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys... anyone else?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a pretty slick looking site. I think that the sidebars sub-menus with the white backgrounds and square corners stick out like sore thumbs compared to the rest of the layout though.

If the layout is stable you should really consider combining all of the jQuery library files into one file for serving to browsers. Same goes for the CSS.

I think this is the first time I've seen conditional comments used to selectively use tables in a layout. I'd love the hear the reasoning behind that. :)

The rest of the markup looks along the lines of something I would do. :)
  • advanceflash
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • advanceflash

Post 3+ Months Ago

to be honest, I just designed it... I have no clue about code.

I'll pass this link onto our developers... it sounds like perhaps you are on IE6? It doesn't handle the transparency of the side nav.

I know it was a bit lazy, but transparent pngs were used, I think.

Thanks for the comments!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't even support IE6 on my own sites, let alone use it.

Attachments:
Untitled-1.gif

I'm not seeing any transparency in either of the following browsers.

Code: [ Select ]
Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux x86_64; U; en) Presto/2.2.15 Version/10.10

Code: [ Select ]
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091109 Ubuntu/9.10 (karmic) Firefox/3.5.5

I've got too many things open to see if it's the same deal on Windows. Both Opera and Firefox are pretty good about keeping things working the same all around though. I'm sure you'll at least want to check up on Firefox.
  • advanceflash
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • advanceflash

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahh, I see what you mean now... yea, that is just a design choice. I guess it is just personal preference, I think it looks fine.

without sounding arrogant, I tend not to take advice on design elements (unless many people bring it up) as every has such differing views.

I'm more interested in bugs or usability advice.

Thanks though, Jay
  • aburnzi
  • aburnzi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry to say but i realy dont like sites that use this popout content/menus, everywhere i move my mouse i get something sprung into my face, not good. I can hardly get to the content until i stop my mouse and find somewhere where it dont pop out.

Nice dark design, i like it great use on space and organization is perfect. Graphics are quality very pleasing, may want to lighten your footer text though as its kinda hard to read.

If you remove the annoying pops it would be a realy great site and design.
  • advanceflash
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • advanceflash

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm afraid you are in the minority regarding the popups.... they are essential stock sites to increase ROI. Maybe I will add a disable feature though.

thanks, Jay
  • fatihn123
  • fatihn123

Post 3+ Months Ago

Design of the site looks good, menus are a litle bit confusing, it looks like a new popup window, maybe you can add some distinct signs to make it look more like a menu.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

very dark text against a very dark background is hard to read, I have to strain a bit to know what it says. Consider a slightly lighter color. Didn't see any bugs in the design.
  • svenner310
  • svenner310

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi - I love the concept.

I think that it's very useful to have the popups when you want to see something specific and get an idea of what it looks like.

I like the various content you have created or obtained. AWESOME
  • ournishani
  • ournishani

Post 3+ Months Ago

site looks cool....but i would prefer this type of dark background in a graphics site or a gallery site...your foucs seems like on products..so you can put some more efforts..
  • advanceflash
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • advanceflash

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, every other stock site seems to be white, so I thought I would make it a little different. I think the products stand out well on the dark background, but I might change it if too many people dislike it.
  • ournishani
  • ournishani

Post 3+ Months Ago

well that was my personal opinion..you can consult others before going ahead..
  • transfer factor
  • Born
  • Born
  • transfer factor
  • Loc: CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice work, and beautiful looking, fit to IT customers.
A lot sample works are great, make me want to try it ~:)
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its been a while since I wrote a site review so hey why not this one. Besides it just got bumped to the top of the list :-)

The site looks reasonably nice, but from a usability standpoint there is way too much, very large navigation on every page. Your header takes up approximately 1/4 of the vertical space (standard window) and the category/side nav takes up about 1/3 of the horizontal space leaving very little room for the actual content. In essence what happens is that all of your nav overshadows the stuff your trying to sell. Second from a user's perspective, the navigation has no visual priority. Click-able items (categories, user tools, search and sort) are visually similar in both size and shape and therefore don't provide any direction for a potential user. Its the design's job to guide the user through suggested actions. The very large number of navigation colors (icons, buttons, textfields) also really compete with the content, making the site look very cluttered and IMO very hard to browse.

I think you should look at every element on the page, or at least groups of elements, and define a priority. What should the user see first, second, third, etc. Then use the elements of design like size, position, color, etc to help achieve that priority. One simple step would be to remove a large amount of the color/contrast from the header and side nav. It might not be a bad idea to let all the icons be grayscale until you roll over something. Basically I would do everything you can to make the product the most important part.

Second, while I'm on the topic, the subnav flyouts in the side menu look like a lazy after thought. Why are they white with a solid border, straight corners and a light gray highlight when everything else on the site is all rounded, gradiated and dark? This may not be the case (and I hope it's not) but this type of treatment screams "I modified a template and couldn't get all my nav to fit so I just threw that in".

Overall I don't mind the dark background, since most of the content is dark, although I can see the contrast issues that some people have pointed out. I think if you address the amount of color and general contrast ratio issues, the text color contrast might not be as big a deal. The problem is when you combine the bright white of the search/sort/login with darker text, the highest contrast object, the white, is what everyone will see first.

Overall, I think your close, but your targeting an audience that has a very discerning eye for design. I feel like some tweaks could really increase a user's willingness to browse the content and in turn increase your sales.
  • Longclark
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Longclark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for creating the nice website and also the overall visualisation for your website is really nice, well and good. The text style, layouts and themes are really nice.
  • graphicnerd

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMO, It needs more breathing, spacing.
  • numlock_
  • Born
  • Born
  • numlock_

Post 78 days ago

Nice style, friendly with user
But i think some video must cheaper
  • jully6686
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jully6686

Post 74 days ago

it looks very nice, you must spent much time to build that beautiful site i think

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers