SITE REVIEW: subsistentia.com

• _sevenone
  • _sevenone

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was hoping a few of you would have a minute to take a look at my site and critique it. I'm pretty new to webdesign, just been teaching myself Dreamweaver, so I'm sure the code will look atrocious to someone who knows what good clean code is supposed to look like. I'm no coder by any means. Anyway, any suggestions? Anything I could do to make the site more appealing or just better in general? I was wanting to have it so the header would change randomly, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that. I think it's done with php but I know nothing about php.

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

http://www.subsistentia.com/
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

I for one like it, I like the clean metallic/
Nice Gradients feeling of the template.

I like the orange and black, and the well, glass type objects are nice colors.

Nice fonts I would like to point out also. Your code, isnt really messy, its neat, and not far too long, good job.

Keep at it =)
  • _sevenone
  • _sevenone

Post 3+ Months Ago

No template...all from scratch :) . Thanks a lot for looking and commenting. I'm glad the code wasn't too out of control. Could anyone point me in a direction to be able to have my header randomly change? I'd like to make 3 or 4 different headers and have them switch up. Thanks a lot.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

you could use a banner changer by Javascript, or PHP

http://www.hotscripts.net
  • priyanka-m6.net
  • Student
  • Student
  • priyanka-m6.net
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there,
That's a good work. But somewhat I feel that the color combination is making the site look dull. why don't you use some other background color. I also feel that you need to increase the font size. When a person opens any website, the first thing which attracts the attention is the overall look. Since its your first attempt, no doubt you did a good work.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

im going to have to disagree with priyanka, i think the color combination is a very good one for the type of site your doing. I was looking at some of you wallpapers and other items in the visual page and i must say i am impressed. keep up the work.

Poly

o and also what programs did you use to create those?
  • airiox
  • airiox

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow I am impressed It looks pretty awesome if you ask me. Wish I could do stuff that looks as cool as that.

Try to shrink down some of your images a bit so people that have a 1024x768 monitor dont have to horizontal scroll.
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it, nice colors & clean design. The only thing I would say is lower the contrast on the BG image, it detracts from the main focus of the page. Overall, great job! :D
  • gladden
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • gladden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I like your choice of colors and layout. However, the top menu where you have the buttons “Root” and “Menu” is a little pixilated. I think you can fix that by using an optimized color palette. Also I found some validation errors caused by missing “alt” attribute in your image tags. Other than that I agree with others, you site looks clean and easy on the eye.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

sweet new top bar. i like it :)

poly
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Awesome eye candy. For the genre of website that you are doing - the color scheme is working I feel. However, I really would reconsider the background image alltogether....pick a solid color which matches your color scheme and use that, I think that would work out as the best solution.

In terms of code...its fine. It's obvious your more graphic savvy then web so it's not important for you to code "properly."
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

im going to agree about changing the backgroundto something solid. i would recommend a dark grey like #333333. who agrees with this?

poly
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think the site looks pretty good. I don't know if the BG has been changed since most of you looked at it, but right now it looks great. It is soft and not too plain. The only problem I see with the site is the menu bar. It looks a little whacked out for some reason. The little fake buttons on the right of the real ones are a little ifyf. Throw those our and make the font on the buttons a tad bigger. Other than that, great job and add a contact page!
  • _sevenone
  • _sevenone

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot for all your comments. I did change the bg image the other night. Just the color, not the actual image. I can't decide if I like it lighter as it is now or darker like it was before. I've tried solid colors for the background, but they just seem too boring to me, maybe I'm crazy. I also changed the header up top, and the outline colors around my content boxes to match the blue in the header. I'm starting to agree with Truce about the nav bar. I'll probably redo that as well. Looking at it I realized I could do a lot better, so that I shall do.

Thanks for all the comments again, it really helps to have a fresh perspective on it.
  • clicky
  • Student
  • Student
  • clicky
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site! Maybe if you made the buttons glow a blueish color they would stand out more, as at the moment they are slightly hard to read (at first).

Also - about the content...I know you probably intentionally did this, but I find that you 'speak' very frankly on your site. Since I'm not an employer of any sort I don't know whether this approach is better or a more professional, to-the-point type of approach.

Overall very nicely done, simple and effective. :wink:
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you dont mind me asking what programs do you use?

poly
  • eslie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • eslie

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey whats the patch there :?:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers