SITE REVIEW: Sunnyside Galleries

• conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay. This site is NOT at its domain yet and some of the form info (like credit card ordering) isn't finished. I would just like a review on design and accessibility, ease of use, appeal, etc. Whatever you can give me would be great!!!!

http://conorific.com/sunny/home.php
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's nice, although a couple of things...

For links to pages you've already visited, the text gets very light and makes it hard to read. Also, links don't look obviously like they are links, so you have to look real close to figure out what you can click on (although, I'm in 1600x1200 resolution, maybe it's easier to spot in a lower res like 800x600).

Other than that, it looks great. I like the way you've laid out your gallery, although, you might want to think about having the images come up in a pop with the previous/next/close buttons, and have the main gallery index stay in the regular browser window. It might work, it might not, but I'd give it a try and see what you can come up with. Just makes browsing that bit quicker (which is important on a site designed to make money).
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I was thinking about changing the links and I'll be doing that.

I had originally suggested doing that with popups, but that was shot down because of popup blockers. I thought that popup blockers only killed popups that weren't generated by a click, but I decided to be safe rather than sorry.

Thanks!
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Links have been changed. Thanks so much.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Popup blockers are starting to become more intelligent these days, and will only block non-interactive popups (that is, popups that just happen without you doing anything).

If you specfically click on a link and a popup comes up because of it, usually they let it go through.

Although, even the "old school" popup blockers that block everything will allow it to go through if the either the Shift or CTRL key is held down whilst clicking.

Something like Google's toolbar works really great. If you go to a site that you know has popups (popups that you want to display), you can click on the popup blocker icon to allow them for that site. It still blocks them for the rest of the world, but it remembers to not block them for sites you've told it to - oh and Google's toolbar only blocks automatic popups (like when a page loads, exits, etc.) not if it pops up as the result of you clicking on something.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, got the Google toolbar and couldn't live without it. But not everyone has that, and I feel it's super important for everyone to be able to access all parts of this site. But thanks for the info! I'll keep it in mind.
  • Geekette
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: The Land of NeverWinter (FL)

Post 3+ Months Ago

The general design is very clean and simple, I like it. :-)

The header graphic does look like it could use a bit of work. The text that says "Glenham, NY" is kind of bumpy(?) around the edges. Also, the S's kind of looked like B's on first glance. Lol, but that's probably just silly little me. :roll: The flowers are very lovely, though!

The only other thing: why is there so much empty space between the content and the bottom of the page?

Good luck with it! :D
  • bowbli
  • bowbli
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

THe website is great, as said before it is "clean and simple", and also really easy to navigate. However I saw a couple of minor problems, I visited it at 1280x1024 resolution and the header and navigation bar was not centered on the content of the site. Also the arrows on the order page where you enter the mailing address look distorted. Apart from thise two small points it looks great.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Without all the empty space, the pages would look stupid because they'd be short. But I should decrease the amt. of space. The Glenham NY is distorted because I antialiased it. But if I didn't, it would be almost unreadable.

About the scrollbar...that's got to be your computer because it's just a standard scrollbar in a textarea. I'll work on the centering a bit.

Thanks!
  • Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: ChicagoLand, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Where's all the artwork from the artists...?

The site is extremely easy to navigate, the only thing that bugs me about the design is that the table resizes itself, I think you should lock it in with the header size, or allow the header to resize with the table...

Other than that it looks wonderful.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's in Galleries...uhm, yeh.

How do I lock it in? That does sound like it would help...
  • Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

conorific wrote:

How do I lock it in? That does sound like it would help...

If it is simply a table(?) in Dreamweaver just change in the properties of the size from "percent" to "pixels" and give it the same width as the header image...

Hope that helps(?),
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks!
  • Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are welcome! Let me know if/when you change it, I'd like to see how it comes out...
  • Involved
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: New York City\Metro Area

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like what I found when I got into your site. However, the Home page and About page are bland...almost as if they are two-color. Considering that it is an art-based site--and you have terrific color work shown inside your site--why not get some real color on your Home page at least? Perhaps you can take a work from one of the artists and put it out front.

Otherwise, very nice. :D I leave the technical stuff to the other posters.
  • stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maggie, . . . after looking at the sight, I thought it was nice, clean, and simple.

Then. I read through the forum. . . . . WHOLLY MOLLY!!! I didn't even know that you had a botom nav bar. This completely balances the site ! ! In one of your replies, you said
Quote:
Without all the empty space, the pages would look stupid because they'd be short

Well, the site is somewhat stupid with all the space because I didn't even know there was a botom nav bar.

I would certainly use some javascript to figue out the window size, and then format your table correctly.

Also, I would like to see the images be posted into the main area, with next and back options.

I would stay away from popups completely!
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

In case anyone stumbled across this thread, which I doubt: b_heyer made me a script and the site is finished: http://sunnysidegalleries.com MILLIONS OF THANKS TO BRANDON! w00t! And I took all your suggestions into consideration...is there anything else?
  • stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger

Post 3+ Months Ago

Congrats on the site!!

Now you need to trouble shoot! and fix some folder permissions.

Quote:
http://sunnysidegalleries.com/info2.php?id=29&&page=2

when I went to the above link, I got a error!

Good luck.
  • stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also,
I really enjoy the design. Can you include a script that will keep the design and show the image below the title bar. This would really polish over your site.

When I click on a thumbnail, I just get this image. . . No site. . . No logo. . .No nav bar. . .No back button. . .not even centered, or enlarged greatly.

I would really like to see this change. Its pretty simple and only includes about 3 lines of code.

ALSO, I was getting a lot of errors going through the thumbnails. I would fix this before you release the site!!
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

*gasp* Je fixies!!!!! That actually wasn't a permissions problem, it was me failing to fix the links after I moved the site. Eeeek. Thanks for pointing that out, all fixed!
  • stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger

Post 3+ Months Ago

and yet another. . . .

Quote:
http://sunnysidegalleries.com/gallery3.php

same error . . .

I noticed that in the 'for sale' section, you display the art exactly as I would like to see all the art displayed.
  • stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
http://sunnysidegalleries.com/belikovbio.php

another bad link
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know I fixed all this before I reuploaded it! I have no idea what happened to all these! One minute, let me fix all the errors...
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I fixed everything now. It ought to work. I see what you mean about the display only gallery; however; the owner of this website whom I did the for doesn't really care about it, so for the moment I'm going to leave it. Thank you for everything!
  • stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger

Post 3+ Months Ago

quality control here. . . .

Quote:
http://conorific.com/contact.php

another bad link.

:P
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uhm...yeah, that link doesn't work. Where did you find that? I don't see it anywhere...OH WAIT. My page. Crap. *moves to fix that* Done. Curse my renaming skills.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers