SITE REVIEW: Sushi Alive Sushi Restaurant in Tampa Florida

• mefromfl
  • mefromfl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

This is only my 3rd website, and it's the website I most enjoyed. Please give me feedbacks on how I did. It's a site for a sushi restaurant in the Tampa Bay area. http://www.sushialive.com.

Thank you in advance for your comments.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your photo gallery seems to be a different size that the other pages. In Firefox, it seems to "shift" a bit. Might want to try to make the pages consistant in dimension. As per sushi, last time I had it was in Atlanta. A rare treat. (no pun intended) Your flash made me hungry for it again, but it didn't provide quite enough spark to peruse the rest of your site.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO, is the shift in Firefox you noted because the page is longer than the rest, and therefore the scrollbar appears in the browser window? As far as I know, there's no way to get around that.

The site looks nice and professional, but pretty generic. Underlined words are pretty widely accepted as links from years of conditioning; if it's not a link, I wouldn't underline it (I'm referring to your page headers here).

This is very subjective, I know, but.. I don't know, I find something very unappealing about that tab format you have. It doesn't look very professional, and worse, it doesn't seem to fit the theme of a sushi restaurant very well.

Speaking of being appropriate to the theme, electronic music? For a sushi restaurant? It doesn't fit. Finally, and for me, most important, why can I not turn off the sound? And why does it automatically begin upon loading?! Two things that will ensure I never revisit the site, or if I do, that I will return to a page other than the main one. Unless you're creating a site on which auto-starting sound is expected (game/film trailer, Flash presentation/game, etc.), it just shouldn't be done, imo.

Overall you've done a pretty good job, don't get me wrong. Forgive me if I sound overly harsh. The site is just missing a.. je n'sais quoi... ATNO expressed it well, I think: I want sushi now, but I'm not really interested in the rest of the site. Then again, perhaps that fact alone makes the site a success, eh? =)

Good luck with the site, and keep safe this hurricane season.

.g
  • nomax5
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks okay to me sort of Restaurant’ie as one would expect. I can do without the music though or have some really really quiet music.

Also it didn’t light any fires for me. You know special offers, bargains, special online stuff
What you have there is a 4 page advert with the opening and closing times.

As a businessman I would suggest you think of the website as another window in the Restaurant building –
a magic window where anyone in the region can look in any time they want night and day.

Then think about how you will attract them, why would they look in other than to get the phone number?

Put a neon OPEN sign on the home page and light it up when its actually open, put a countdown to opening time. And a special offer for visiting the site. print these 10% offer vouchers! Specials menu, Fish of the month or
Something, bring it to life.
I’m guessing its not the only sushi in town, this is your opportunity to make the Best sushi website in town! Image

I jsut made that in 2 minutes - Get yer finger out :)
  • ewomack
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I usually go to restaurant websites to check out the menu and hours, so a basic brochure-type site works for my purposes. In the end, if I like the food I could really care less about the website. And once I know the menu and the location I don't have any reason to go back.

I really don't like the music. But if the customers specifically asked for it then that's that.

A few other comments:

-Some of the fonts are a little boring, especially on the animations. You could spice those up (plus, "energetic" is misspelled).

-The directions page does link to mapquest, but I had to discover that on my own.

-The text on the "Contact Us" page could have better spacing; it looks a little crammed together.

But overall not a bad site at all; it looks just as good as the numerous restaurant websites I've seen recently.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you are very lucky getting the several detailed reviews above, considering the Image reviews you left for others.
  • mefromfl
  • mefromfl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks everyone for the reviews, I did some minor changes that you guys suggested. I took out the sound and gave people the option to play it or not. I also took off the underline for the headings, I added a footer with a sitemap for SEO purposes. I will make more changes. Thanks everyone.
  • Julius Designs
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you should have the music playing through out. Just add on off button of course. Not too sure that I like those menu buttons though.
  • worthyashes
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • worthyashes

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please please please drop the music! IMHO I prefer sites that you don't need to do too much vetical scrolling unless it's all about information, i.e. I'm reading an article etc. If I'm looking at a site trying to sell me services or products (or Sushi ; ) ) I'd rather see everything presented on the first bit of the page I can see.

You've done that with the home page, directions, contact and about and then for some wierd reason with the photo gallery and menu pages have decided to make 'em long. You obviously understand flash, rollover states etc and for not much more work you could have used a flash photo silde show for the gallery, used rollover states for menus etc. This is just of the top of my head, but I'm sure that you could find a tighter way of displaying your information.

Having said that the sushi looks good!
  • absolutes
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you must have changed some things because I found the site to be efficient and pleasing. (oh, my computer's muted, if there had been music I would have been annoyed) My initial reaction was "good, the hours are right here and, look, here's the menu, perfect." the actual format of the menu turned me off just a smidge, the changing picture for the categories was cute, but not really functional, and I still have friends with dial-up, so I'm sensitive to that kind of thing.
A photo gallery is a good idea, I think, but this one has too many pics, imo, and they're not all good ones.
The biggest turn off for me--and I know this isn't your doing, it's just I can't hold it in--is the NAME of the place. Ugh.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers