SITE REVIEW: Sydney's Best Coffee

• Toolbox
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Toolbox
  • Loc: CyberSpace

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have started a coffee review web site with a friend of mine and the deal is to go to every coffee shop we can find and test the coffee and find the best coffee in Sydney.

Known problems
- Grammar (Because i design with a case of beer)
- some links, that i have all most got all of em

would love some feedback as it is getting 2k a month, getting to the point where i need to fix the issues.

www.sydneysbestcoffee.com.au
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd change the font. It's too light of a grey shade hard to read.
  • Toolbox
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Toolbox

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea there was code all over the place so i am getting through it but :)
  • gregsvintageguitars
  • gregsvintageguitars

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site is easy to navigate, scroll overs would enhance your user interactive features. I prefer black type without serifs as the easiest to read, overall I think you have done a fine job.
  • Toolbox
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Toolbox

Post 3+ Months Ago

cheers for the comment, the gray has been reported to be thrown in the trash which i am about to change the css file to take care of that.

as for being interactive some flash concepts are in the works which i can not wait to get in the code but not presentable for public yet.
  • casy001
  • casy001

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, different people, different tastes... when i read about coffe site i imagined coffee made not in the coffee-maker but in the ibrik. well, i am disuppionted...
  • Toolbox
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Toolbox

Post 3+ Months Ago

interesting thought but i don't see what you see with this as the the whole process to the coffee making includes a lot of people and processing but still at the end of the line of a multi million dollar business on a global basis with one of the most consumed products on this earth and with the barista at the end of the line when good barista's need to have years of training from someone with the skill passed down, anyway the main market is in the cafes and coffee shops where the consumers that i need to direct through this web site to coffee shops on the way to work mostly for everyone to get their morning hit.

From my experience working on this web site talking to the people in the coffee scene there is a entire new world out there about coffee that well 80% of the public does not understand nor want to or the person does not have the taste buds for the coffee to separate a good from bad extraction and the texturing of milk, temperature of the cup/steam/water and the compression of the puck, swirling of the pour like i could keep going on forever and then a cleaning purge at the end which most people don't do.

I love all feedback around this site but what i think is your part of that 80% that does not understand what their looking at which is why your disappointed in what you see.

Finial note as per note above your just posting to get your post up which i can understand but i fail to see disappointment in SBC
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd get rid of that under construction page on the index. A not-fully-functional site may not be the best thing, but it's much better than an under construction page.

--

The maroon colored logo area with the crowns on top and bottom could use some padding around the text on the sides. Maybe bump the font size down to 20px or bump the size of the box up by about 10px.

--

Now, if this is just a placeholder image and you plan on sticking something like a 300x250 ad unit in there, go ahead and skip this part. :)

The aspect ratio is off on the coffee photo in the top-right, the image is 310 x 207 hut you have the height set at 252 which stretches the image and makes it look like a low quality image. It's actually a nice looking image when it's not stretched.

I'm guessing this was done to make it match the height of the items in the left column. It looks to me like you should be able to shrink the height of that stuff in the left column to match the true height of the image on the right.

--

It's been about 2 weeks since someone last mentioned the light font, so I figure it's worth mentioning again.

--

I'd bump down the size of the copyright font in the footer.

--

In your "recent updates" section of the sidebar, I'd link the item titles in addition to those "read move..." links.

--

There's something a little off about the coffee testing section of shop pages. I'm guessing the "Latte" and "Espresso" labels are supposed to be above their respective items and not beside them.

Attachments:
sydneysbestcoffee.gif
  • Toolbox
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Toolbox

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is the kind of feedback i was hoping for like really that is a good insight thank you very much for the review.

i have a lot to think about and work with, i mite also send you a pm in a week or so to do a recheck if possible :P due to i need a pro web design view on this not these cafe owners who just complain about everything
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have to remember too, cafe owners are going to be biased towards making themselves look good. ;)
  • Gofigure
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Gofigure

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say keep the color scheme make the font darker and easier to read. I would also adivse you to come up with a logo or banner to show a graphic aspect of your site as it is pretty plain. Making good money though for this site the way it is i would suggest getting a designer to retouch your works at a cheap cost.
  • Katya
  • Katya

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you should take off that first page, where it says "Is back online"

I love the color scheme. The actual logo, on the left, is really pretty. I like the embellishment. The text inside of the embellishments aren't centered, though. I would suggest, moving up to Sydney's Best Coffee so you leave a little space from the slogan, or just move up both of them together.

I like the small sidebar on the bottom right. The share button looks so small and lonely, so add a few more share buttons, you know, to different places to make it even with the sidebar. The featured in Sydney is centered and not to the left like the one on top, so I would get that fixed. Since the site is under construction, there's not much more I can say(:
  • cinema88
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • cinema88

Post 3+ Months Ago

site is easy to navigate, design is clear, simple and nice :) .. using google maps is great, i think that you could add photos of coffe, which you tested ;)
  • oliver13
  • Born
  • Born
  • oliver13

Post 3+ Months Ago

dont like you need to click to enter the website. And the site is too simple. maybe some nice light brown backround.
  • hotmake
  • Born
  • Born
  • hotmake

Post 3+ Months Ago

add more cofee theme :D
  • master412160
  • master412160

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like it you get to a page where you go to click to enter the real website, frontpage. I think you should let us get right away to the frontpage, of the blog site.

Other then that I really like the desgin and easy not flashy colors in overall.
  • shnozwma
  • Born
  • Born
  • shnozwma

Post 3+ Months Ago

you don't need to let people know that your site is back up. you need everyone to be directed to your front page immediately but your layout looks pleasant and user friendly
  • miktemac
  • Born
  • Born
  • miktemac

Post 3+ Months Ago

Design
Get rid of the it's back online page. It makes me feel like it isn't and want to navigate away.
On the real main page, the pic of the coffee is great - can't you spread it to cover the full header. The brown font is okayish, I would like it darker - like my coffee.
On the updates page there is a broken picture link. All in all, make it more symmetrical, that'll make it more appealing.

Performance
I am testing on Ubuntu Linux 64 bit with Chrome and all of the page changes and the rendering are quick. No issues observed.

Functionality
Everything that is there is working well, but you need more content to make it worthwhile to try it out.

Overall
Two things to improve: symmetrical layout and more content. Then you should be well on the way.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers