SITE REVIEW: SydneysBestCoffee

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

a friend talked me into converting a project to wordpress and it is starting to take form in ways of being interactive and automated but i feel these small modifications are not going to make this site work and so i ask of ways to improve the site to get it noticed. Latest wordpress running directorypress.

Still in early stages not sure what to do about the header banner as yet still thinking.

The menu i feel needs a change but i may have to manually edit that from the template.

Footer works once more content is added so just needs a resize i know that.

But any other suggestions are more then welcome to improve this coffee lovers site.

http://sydneysbestcoffee.com.au/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a bit too blocky for me... I know that this site is blocky but, not so many blocks so close together and all over the place :/

All those pink/peach colored borders are an overkill (around the menu to the right and the content at the bottom).

Maybe a hover on the big blocky menu at the top?

The bottom menu in the "Meta" block... organize them horizontally instead of vertical like they are right now, and space them out with maybe a " | " in between them.

Remove all of the member pages links from the page when the user is not logged in.

Is it a directory of coffee shops in and/or around Sydney?

That's about all the time I have for now...
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers for the tips i shall get working on it

Also yes it is a directory, playing around with a new plugin for WP and this is basically the default but your notes have given me a way to curve the site out.
  • jfambrini
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jfambrini

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you made a great choice by going with a popular CMS. A great thing about Wordpress is that there are so many great looking free and low priced templates. My advise would be to take advantage of some of these templates. If you can afford to purchase a template then there are some great templates in the market there. I guess SEO is not important to you as you have a captive audience. I see that you have very few inbound links.
  • smirnova
  • smirnova

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really liked the idea of ​​the site, besides everything is very convenient, but I would like more colorful and associating with coffee design)
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

smirnova wrote:
I really liked the idea of ​​the site, besides everything is very convenient, but I would like more colorful and associating with coffee design)

that is the next step, a lot of the backend is setup, just needs to have the cosmetic tweak and off and away.
  • amy803891
  • amy803891

Post 3+ Months Ago

An under construction site, a lot of work to do.
First make a neat layout for your site like the navigation menu, meta area.
Second, give some coffee related themes
Third, font, padding, margins, etc.
  • WritingBadCode
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its not a bad site. But some things I don't totally like:

1) Many categories are empty. This makes the catalogue loose some usefulness?
2) Meta: WordPress.org (remove that link its not relevant to the site?)
3) Callback: what is that? I click and get: "Sorry but there was an error during checkout. No money has been taken from your account, you will be contacted by our team shortly.". Hide member functionality to none members?
4) Not sure about the colours. (but that's just personal feelings I guess)
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

WritingBadCode wrote:
Its not a bad site. But some things I don't totally like:

1) Many categories are empty. This makes the catalogue loose some usefulness?
Quote:
I have been building up the site's back end, i have a few people that will start doing data entry so that is just a time issue.

2) Meta: WordPress.org (remove that link its not relevant to the site?)
Quote:
Agreed, just did not think it was hurting much doing there.

3) Callback: what is that? I click and get: "Sorry but there was an error during checkout. No money has been taken from your account, you will be contacted by our team shortly.". Hide member functionality to none members?
Quote:
The callback feature was part of the site's script, i just look and look and i had it disabled before hand and i must be blind as i can not even see where that link is unless it is written into some custom page.

4) Not sure about the colours. (but that's just personal feelings I guess)
Code: [ Select ]
To be honest, i have the back-end setup well, found a great script. But i am not sure what to do about the design tho which i have to hire someone to do it so it is done right. I have a team meeting Monday night which i will try and get that worked out.
  • aleks77
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • aleks77

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not a bad site, but it reminds a bit of a search engine from the 90's for some reason.

The first thing I noticed was, that the 'home' menu link is not aligned with the rest of the menu. I also don't understand some of the menu items. What is meant with 'manage'? Manage what? Or 'callback'? Maybe you can make the menu highlight the item, over which the cursor scrolls?

Also, I think there are too many borders. For some reason, I get the feeling that the font size is a bit big, but maybe it's just me. I like the site's logo though, and also the fact that the main menu items are also repeated at the bottom of the page.

Good luck!
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

There has been some bugs that have turned up latly, i have just had too many mates come over this week and tafe to even sit at my computer.

i have found that different browsers are causing issues due to something stupid and small in the site.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers