• Pknuts

Post 3+ Months Ago

post deleted
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

it looks really good and proffessional. The only thing that I don't like is the multi colored nav bar. It just seems out of place. Otherwise good job!
  • echallenged
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • echallenged
  • Loc: CT, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

8)
Patrick,
Your site is very creative looking, I like the graphics and style. It should be quite impressive when you complete it.

Your off to a fantastic start. Good luck with it.
  • _Leo_
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really nice design, congrats...

Just one thing: I don't like menus whose items must be "touched" in order to know what they are. I know, this kind of menus are usually found in designers' sites. I don't like it anyhow.
  • starqueen
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

crits

1. a useless splash page... completely useless. a site that has a splash page, like http://www.2advanced.com needs it to specify flash content and preload stuff and etc... chuck it
2. the arrows are overdone, although i like them, are simple buttons in photoshop and would be considered unoriginal.
3. the "about me" and "about the site" is repititive, considering you ARE the site. combine them into, "profile" or "about" :)
4. "graphics work" is def wrong wording. i cant tell what kind of content u will have there, but i suggest wording like "portfolio", "digital graphics", or "designs" etc. something more professional
5. "university work" should be ditched and combined with your portfolio/graphics section. dividing that from your other work suggests you put different effort into it or had different direction. university work should help you discover what kind of designer or artist you are, not make you do different work.
6. in my opinion, "about" "portfolio" and "contact" should be the only navigation. under portfolio could be categories like "2d, 3d, design, vector, rastor, painting, website". under contact would have "guestbook, resume, and links" under it.

these are all of my opinions, i hope ive been helpful, excuse my bluntness ;)
  • ssw0420
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ouch, a nice website DESIGN(?)
Very good. How do you draw a
template like that, I'm a newb
with drawing web templates...

How do you do it ;) mind sharing?
  • Pknuts
  • Pknuts

Post 3+ Months Ago

starqueen wrote:
1. a useless splash page... completely useless. a site that has a splash page, like http://www.2advanced.com needs it to specify flash content and preload stuff and etc... chuck it

I disagree, it's not completely useless. I'm making a preloader to a lot of the graphics in the site itself

starqueen wrote:
2. the arrows are overdone, although i like them, are simple buttons in photoshop and would be considered unoriginal.

Didn't use photoshop for them, PSP actually. They're not considered unoriginal in the slightest. That's like saying, CIRCLES are unoriginal.

starqueen wrote:
3. the "about me" and "about the site" is repititive, considering you ARE the site. combine them into, "profile" or "about" :)

I don't consider myself to be the site. I consider the site to be about me. Hence why I have a section for About Me. The About Site is and should be completely separate

starqueen wrote:
4. "graphics work" is def wrong wording. i cant tell what kind of content u will have there, but i suggest wording like "portfolio", "digital graphics", or "designs" etc. something more professional

I agree with you there, I may change it to Digital Graphics. But only because it sounds better, not because its 'wrong wording'

starqueen wrote:
5. "university work" should be ditched and combined with your portfolio/graphics section. dividing that from your other work suggests you put different effort into it or had different direction. university work should help you discover what kind of designer or artist you are, not make you do different work.

Again, I disagree, I want to differentiate what I've been doing at uni at the moment.

starqueen wrote:
6. in my opinion, "about" "portfolio" and "contact" should be the only navigation. under portfolio could be categories like "2d, 3d, design, vector, rastor, painting, website". under contact would have "guestbook, resume, and links" under it.

I don't like general vague sections, I want people to be able to locate exactly what they want with ONE click, not have to search through sub section after subsection

I appreciate your crits, and I understand I can't please everyone, thanks anyway.
  • mmelen
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mmelen
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great site... I loved the design and you organized everything well.
  • elcunto
  • elcunto

Post 3+ Months Ago

I totally agree with StarQueen. Your website is very amateur and distinctly average looking.
What is the point of your splash screen, if I want to "Enter Site" I type it into the address bar. Plus I surprised people actually click on it, its so basic and frankly crap. Why is it there, how does it enrich my life. Get rid it, thats one click of my life I've wasted. Why mention the website address on it?? I just typed in the bloody address!!! I don't need to be reminded of that stupid mistake!!

Your main focal point is a circle, how basic is that. Also those arrows are on every two bit "stylish" website and your navigation leaves alot to be desired. It takes ages to load and just looks crap. The colours stick out like a sore thumb compared to the plainess of the rest of the page.
What is the point of having "about me" and "about the site" In the about me section it should say "I am me" and what are you going to put in "about the site" maybe "I coded the site" the site isn't unique or special why does it need its own section. Why not put Uni work and Graphics work under "Portfolio" it is your work isn't it so therefore, you guessed it part of your portfolio.
I was going to attempt humour in this article to offset my crits of your page but after the cracking attempt on your site i can not compare to your comedy genius because I'm having a "non-stop adrenaline rush"
Also have you heard of a thing called "Photoshop" or perhaps "Paint Shop Pro" because drawing circles and lines through it is so "MS Paint" I have finished with your front page but I must appauld you on your masterstroke, adding blur to the bottom half of your name. It must of taken you ages to add that filter.

I suggest you take a look at these sites:

http://gwanderson.server101.com/Computer101/Paint.htm

http://members.tripod.com/dianajhunter/

Also there are more colours than just primary ones, have a look:

http://www.members.vpchat.com/guide-rick/html/ten.html

On your "About Me" page it looks like a pee coloured. Here's a tip, people go to websites to see things and 10 empty pages isn't exactly the best web design decision ever.

Other that that i love it, your dreamweaver skills are great!! Can't wait to see it after a few changes as suggested. Best of luck.

ec
  • Pknuts
  • Pknuts

Post 3+ Months Ago

^ What a loser :lol:
  • imagemoore
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • imagemoore
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I like the site and the way you have used colours really well.

However I do agree that the multicolored menu is out of place and you should change it to match the colours of the rest of the site.

Other than that, it looks cool.

Regards

Rich :D
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

What everyone says about splash-pages: it's personal preference. I like a website with a professional splash page. Those who say, "don't judge a book by its cover" are absolutely right. It's what is inside that counts.

A website is the same. For me at least. For many, the cover appears to have no use, but for me, if I'm looking to buy a book, the first thing I judge by is the cover. Your splash page gave a good first impression, thus I entered further.

You've got a wicked cover and a mediocre middle so far, but you're just starting out.

Chuck the splash page or keep it. Doesn't matter. First impressions do, however, and a good splash page will give you that. It's likely that once people have entered your site and found use in it, they'll likely just bookmark the innerworkings, but that's later down the road.

One thing I will comment on: the grey you are using is wicked! I'm sure it's not a web-safe color, but it looks dope as **** in my browser.

I'm with the others about the navigation though. Not a fan of that.

Anyway, good luck. You've got a good eye for design.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

And another thing: if you designed this so far in paint shop pro rather than photoshop you are definitely off to a good start. Back when I was using PSP about 6 years ago, you couldn't do squat with the program. You've done quite a good job using crappy software!
  • elcunto
  • elcunto

Post 3+ Months Ago

How dare you call me a loser you scumbucket. I'm not the one with the crap website!!! I refrained from personally insulted you but I see that was clearly a mistake. Evidently you have never left the confines of your basement and seen the real world because your website is so uninspiring. If you were a mature sensible webmaster then you would take constructive criticism in your stride and act on some of the more obvious flaws in your site, but since you don't you are a misguided idiot!!
  • Pknuts
  • Pknuts

Post 3+ Months Ago

^ Someone wanna tell this loser to get a clue? :lol:
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

^ Get a clue. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts