Post 3+ Months Ago

deleted.
  • Sovi3t
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Sovi3t
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, the domain is kinda cool. I see it as "Health, Y'all" so it's stuck in my head, haha.

Site's not centered on my screen. (1280x800 rez)

"Welcome to Healthy All. To help you stay healthy is our goal."
- Sounds a bit weird. Maybe "Our goal is to keep you healthy!" or something is better.
- If you're going to use a big, non-standard font, maybe you should make it into an image. Add anti-aliasing for looks too.

Maybe your google search should be centered.

The site looks weird with margins all around -- usually nowadays, with a header image like that you want it to be right up to the borders of the page. Right now, there's a big white box all around it.

Dark blue on dark brown is not pleasant.

Your rounded corners look a tiny bit sharp where they meet the flat part.

Maybe add some padding to those images--the text butting up right against them is not pleasing to the eye.

The spacing at the top is kinda weird:
-Header (looks low quality--jpeg artifacts)
-Google search on the left side
-Big space
-"Your Location: Home" floating about 25% off the left side.
-What I consider the content or "meat" of the site only begins halfway down the page. In the top half (Header + Search + Current Location), half of that is white space. Whitespace is good, but you can't just put it anywhere.

You might need to work on punctuation a little more.
-"A little planning goes a long way to make a lunch that’s fit to eat" should have an exclamation mark at the end. I hate it when sentences are left open.
Under that, you have "~~Healthy diet for healthy living~~" in a weird font.
1) Don't use the cutesy "~~~~" marks. Not professional.
2) Don't use too many different fonts. Usually it gets annoying when a site has more than 2-3 different fonts unless they know how to use them. Don't use weird cursive fonts. Also not professional.

HTML - Tables are so 1990's.
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1 ... all.com%2F
Not too important I guess, but if you ever get a chance, find a nice article on CSS and ditch the tables. Switch to xhtml too, maybe, and make sure it validates.

You have quite a few ads.

Your navigation on the left, the buttons don't really fit the site. Pick a color scheme. For a health site--maybe use a lot of greens, colors of healthy life.
Some of the button items are a different font size. That's a pet peeve of mine.

Even on 1024x768 rez your site is not centered. There's a white space on the right.

On 800x600 resolution (yes, some people still have old computers), your site is hard to navigate. Plus, they can't see your Google Ad on the right!

Well, at least they'll still see the Google Search Bar, the Weather Network referral thing, the 1&1 referral ad, the AdSense referral button, the link unit on the left, and the two google ads on the bottom. Oh, and the last referral link for 1&1 below that.

That's 8 ads. 9 for users with above 800x600 rez.

Sorry if any of this is harsh, but it obviously shows that you care more about the money than your site's content. At least get a user base and a layout everyone is comfortable with using. Then you could fill in spots with ads. But for now, i'd take them all down and worry about the content and getting visitors. Leave 1-2 ads if you must.

Don't mean to diss your site, it looks like it has a lot of good content, but the design really does need work. And don't be in such a rush to plaster ads all over it.

Keep up the work, you've got a good start. Keep working on it, and keep asking for reviews. Soon you'll have something real nice.

Peace out,
-Tim
  • NTC-Will
  • NTC-Will

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you Tim. I know you took a really good look at my website.
I will take all your suggetions into consideration.

I just started to create website after studied FrontPage for several nights (i have to work during the day). I'd like to make a little extra money by GOOGLE AD.

I don't really know much about web design. I need to learn more.

Thank you again for your long useful comments.
  • Sovi3t
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Sovi3t
  • Loc: 127.0.0.1

Post 3+ Months Ago

So this is your first website? If so, then damn good job, my friend. My very first websites were nowhere near this good. You have a long ways to go but this is a great start. My first actual design was made in Yahoo Sitebuilder... which I ended up hating. I stole the graphics from one of their templates and switched to FrontPage. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so after always fixing FrontPage's HTML code, I decided to do it manually and switched to Notepad for all my coding needs.

FrontPage is a good start, I think it's a good exercise since you can create different layouts without too much work. It's good for getting experience and getting a feel for web design. I think, though, maybe once you get the hang of it you should look into writing HTML yourself. It's cleaner, it's yours, and it's easier to control the looks of your site once you know how to.

In my "transition" stage, I would use FrontPage to create a layout, and get a general feel for the website, and then I would start from scratch in Notepad, typing my own HTML. It was easier because I had a sense of direction for the layout.

This is a great start. Keep it up.
-Tim
  • VeX92
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its very simple and i like that. I also like how it is easy to navigate and give a lot of information. Good job.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

NTC-Will, just a quick thought: sovi3t was very in-depth in his review of your site. It's very nice and incredible useful to have people provide such valuable feedback like that. Please keep that in mind when reviewing other people's sites. Comments such as "not bad, neat and clean" don't really provide any useful feedback.

Anyways, about your site. I agree with most of what was described above. Also, your copyright notice at the bottom is halfway in the footer and halfway out; doesn't look right.

You have some padding issues with some of the tables on your pages. Some are properly padded while others aren't, causing the site to feel a bit inconsistent. I'd aim at designing one or two table designs and sticking to them throughout the entire site.

Also, like sovi3t mentioned, if would be in your best interest to get away from using tables in the first place and read up a little on XHTML and CSS. W3Schools.com can get your started with some great introductory tutorials.

Finally, another good point already stated: too many ads. Until you have a large user base to actually view the ads, they serve very little purpose other than to drive visitors away.

You're got a decent start, just gotta do a little revamping and code cleanup. Since you're new to web design, be sure to Google search for simple tutorials on things you don't understand, and believe me, you'll pick it up in no time.

Good luck!
  • NTC-Will
  • NTC-Will

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you VeX92.

Thank you Spork for youe a bit harsh but honest comment. I'll keep up.
  • NTC-Will
  • NTC-Will

Post 3+ Months Ago

i made some changes. I hope it looks better now. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers