SITE REVIEW: TagSum.com

• 1EightT
  • 1EightT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is our brand new web 2.0 development that goes by the name of TagSum.com. We chose this name because everything on the site is tagged. Tagging is a more powerful and categorically better way of describing objects because they are words and thoughts invoked by the human mind upon seeing something. We tag people, we tag photos, we tag news, and in the future you will be tagging hundreds of other things on TagSum. We developed this site from the ground up to scale and expand with growth. This means everything from the programming framework down to the database replication and caching of objects in physical memory. We're doing some exciting things, and implementing ideas never before seen on the web. Check out the slides below, sign up for your free account, then go tagSumthing. . . .

Seriously, we're looking for feedback on every aspect of the site from form to function. The backend is solid, now we are focusing on features and expansion.

We've also added a revenue sharing option for members so you can earn money for every item you submit to the site. http://www.tagsum.com/users/dashboard?do=revenueshare
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice clean layout. Good idea of the site as well.
  • 1EightT
  • 1EightT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you :). If you decide to join please let me know what you think of the back end and the overall function of the system.
  • twalters84
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • twalters84
  • Loc: Mount Savage, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetings,

I just got done looking over your website.

First, the design looks outstanding. The only thing I do not like about the design is that I think there is too much space in the footer.

One thing you may want to improve is making your website W3C compliant. This makes your website more compatible across multiple browsers. You can check W3C compliancy here:

http://validator.w3.org/

Just type in your URL and you can see what errors come up.

Another thing I really love about your site is that it uses AJAX. I have used AJAX with a photo gallery and for popping up a google map. Really neat stuff.

Keep up the great work!

Sincerely,
Travis Walters
admin@codebuyers.com
  • zhaira
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • zhaira

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good site and layout
  • 1EightT
  • 1EightT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the constructive feedback Travis. We actually started out with the site being wc3 compliant and found that it didn't work well in internet exploder. We ended up having to make several layout changes and create work arounds to get things to display properly in ie6 and ie7.

Check back today though, we just added a photos section and in a couple hours should have our videos section live.
  • idkwot
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • idkwot

Post 3+ Months Ago

everything looks perfect to me, good job
  • twalters84
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • twalters84
  • Loc: Mount Savage, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey there,

I wish i could have seen your site before you modified it.

I know non W3C compliant sites had trouble when migrating to IE7. I have never had a problem in IE7 with a W3C compliant website. The IE7 version seems to follow standards better than previous versions.

I agree with you though that it should be called internet exploder ;)

Its better than it use to be though for me heh..

Sincerely,
Travis Walters
admin@codebuyers.com
  • Dsgnr
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice and clean design. Good project...

Congratulations....
  • internet8
  • Born
  • Born
  • internet8

Post 3+ Months Ago

you basically installed the software which is workinfg fine
it ia a website doing social activities.
its a nice website
  • huangweiqiu
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • huangweiqiu

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is a nice website!

What is the CMS you use for this site?friends.

I also want to creat a "tag site" in chinese,and I am looking for a good cms like that so long.
  • abuhark
  • Born
  • Born
  • abuhark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good site and layout

keep it up
  • Zion
  • Born
  • Born
  • Zion

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site looks very clean and has a great web2.0 style :)

Great work :D
  • 1EightT
  • 1EightT

Post 3+ Months Ago

Installed what software? This is a 100 percent in house job.

huangweiqiu wrote:
What is a nice website!

I also want to creat a "tag site" in chinese,and I am looking for a good cms like that so long.
  • 1EightT
  • 1EightT

Post 3+ Months Ago

huangweiqiu wrote:
What is a nice website!

Thanks, it's no a cms, nor is it a commercial script. It's 100 percent done in house from the ground up. Nothing I have ever seen commercially available is robust enough to scale to the level we need. We had almost 100,000 uniques this last friday and the page load times were the same as when there is almost no traffic. We use MANY layers of caching including loading sql queries into physical memory so mysql is never used unless it's a new query or the cache has expired. :)
  • huangweiqiu
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • huangweiqiu

Post 3+ Months Ago

1EightT wrote:
huangweiqiu wrote:
What is a nice website!

Thanks, it's no a cms, nor is it a commercial script. It's 100 percent done in house from the ground up. Nothing I have ever seen commercially available is robust enough to scale to the level we need. We had almost 100,000 uniques this last friday and the page load times were the same as when there is almost no traffic. We use MANY layers of caching including loading sql queries into physical memory so mysql is never used unless it's a new query or the cache has expired. :)

:( I can't build a cms by myself,I am not good at programming,so I have to use Pligg,but its functions are not fully suite for my wedsite.I admire you.
  • gpyong

Post 3+ Months Ago

great job you have done ! the design was outstanding and professional. May i know are you using some kind of open source and modify it ?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

One quick question ... why when I click on the "home" link, does it take me to the "news" page ... and even when I type in "www.tagsum.com" I get directed to the "news" page ...

Maybe also in the search bar, make it so that the text "Search News ..." disappears when a user clicks on the text-box ...

Maybe just for some added "glow" to your site you could also make it so that the rank indicator image becomes greener when it is ranked higher and more red when it has a lower rank ... just a suggestion ...

Further than that ... Excellently done ...
  • moree
  • Born
  • Born
  • moree

Post 3+ Months Ago

great site you have there!
  • 1EightT
  • 1EightT

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
One quick question ... why when I click on the "home" link, does it take me to the "news" page ... and even when I type in "www.tagsum.com" I get directed to the "news" page ...

Maybe also in the search bar, make it so that the text "Search News ..." disappears when a user clicks on the text-box ...

Maybe just for some added "glow" to your site you could also make it so that the rank indicator image becomes greener when it is ranked higher and more red when it has a lower rank ... just a suggestion ...

Further than that ... Excellently done ...

We're actually changing the "home" link to a page that gives an overview of features and such for people that are not logged in. If you are logged in the "home" link becomes a link to your control panel. We just added some cool features by the way. In your control panel we now show all of your friends recent activity on the site so you can tell when a friend has submitted a new item, commented on something, or voted. We also added related media. Lets say you are viewing a new story on Ron Paul, we now show photo's and video's related to ron paul. You can see that in action here: http://www.tagsum.com/news/1558/DBKP-Po ... te-Himself

We also launched a photo's and video's section. Today we are adding a "people" section so you can find people with similar interests to yourself. It's evolving almost daily now.

Right now the vote buttons change color when you vote on something. They are grey by default, then change to blue when you have voted so you can easily scan a page and see what you have and have not voted on or seen yet.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
  • PlasticInbox
  • Born
  • Born
  • PlasticInbox

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great looking website. It's much more aesthetically pleasing than Digg. If anything, the top gray part of of the header is a little bit plain looking but it's probably best that way. Nice clean looking layout.
  • Boke
  • Student
  • Student
  • Boke
  • Loc: Hiroshima, Japan

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks good to me too, sorry I couldn't think of any thing
  • scorpionagency
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice Clean Layout, User friendly, Easy Navigation, I Like it.. Great job!
  • guruwebllc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • guruwebllc

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the design.. looks very clean
  • 1EightT
  • 1EightT

Post 3+ Months Ago

The other day we launched the new "People" section, and also rolled out TagSum Points which are part of our promotion this month to win a free Nintendo Wii, so if you or anyone you know wants a Wii this holiday, join up and get in on the give away. The link to check that out is http://www.tagsum.com/points

Sometime this afternoon we are launching a new header and footer for the site which will completely update our navigation. I'll post back when that's live because I want to get some opinions on it. It looks 100 percent better IMO.
  • martens
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • martens

Post 3+ Months Ago

Clean design and nice int
  • 1EightT
  • 1EightT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I forgot to update this thread, but we did launch a new design for the site. Changed the header, footer, navigation, the side bars, and a few other things. Let me know what you all think. Now back to development. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers