ive got the basic layout designed, and would like your thoughts

cheers

http://www.icscotland.co.uk/scott/terro ... index.html
  • RUMcajZ
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, considering your clan name I expected something aggressive. I am not saying it is bad, quite like the layout, simple and clean.
Will have another look when you will put some stuff there.

Good luck

RUM
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol. I have to agree with RUM, mate. The site's colour scheme could definitely be a little more aggressive and casual. Neutral, earthy tones are great for an office, but not too sure about an Xbox clan site.

Your headings seem to drop below the line of the header images. If this is intentional, I would suggest a different approach, as it looks like a mistake and makes the headings more difficult to read.

The site really needs a bit of content to get a better idea of how the end result will look. Currently, the little content boxes are literally everywhere on your homepage (Firefox 1.5/XP), which makes things look a bit unbalanced.

I look forward to seeing where you go with this!
  • incredible1
  • incredible1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Suggest you bite the bullet and get a dot com, add the graphics and go. Since the cost to buy a dot com and host is sooo small nowadays, a free host is fine to dev on but time to pony up and start somewhere.
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Memphis, Tn

Post 3+ Months Ago

As has been mentioned the color schemes is not meshing well with the name of the clan. Also the 'tabbed' view has been done and done and done. What about something a little more clan like. Maybe something with a halo-ish feel (I know thats been done and done and done....). Some 'distressed'/'grungy' buttons Im not saying that using the tabbed nav is a bad thing necessarily, just throwing some ideas at ya.
  • Brandon Bevis
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Brandon Bevis
  • Loc: Springfield, Missouri

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey man,

You've got a very nice layout and buttons. Other than the images coming up on the header and such I really like it!

Looks kinda like apple.com

Brandon Bevis
http://www.sonnarwebdesign.com
  • tkditf
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tkditf

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys,

justG: i just had a look at the site in firefox and opera, and its, how do i say it, wrong.....

incredible1: i have already have a dot com, well a .co.uk, just using the current space for testing.

typhon: i like the tabbed top (there is also a left nav on sub pages), i agree, maybe they look a bit basic. i'll mess around with the graphics and give it a rougher feel. i dont want to go gown the halo path as we are becoming a multi gaming clan.
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I didnt necessarily mean halo I was just thinking of a recent game that had sort of a 'rough and tumble' kind of feel. I wasnt meaning to specify one single game, it was just more as a point of reference. There isnt anything wrong with the tabbed buttons. I just thought for a clan name like 'terror' that maybe a grungy/distressed type of button might be something to consider, you could still have even use tabs but you could 'beat them up a bit'. Good luck with the site. :D
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

tkditf wrote:
thanks guys,

justG: i just had a look at the site in firefox and opera, and its, how do i say it, wrong.....

Looks like you need to wrk on making the site cross-browser compatible. Not the easiest thing in the world to do, ta least in my opinion.
  • TwoSmokingPunKs
  • Loc: Homer, Alaska

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the way tabs organize my mind and thoughts. The whole "Terror- Clan- Gaming -Tartan" thing makes me think incredible hulk and orange and green and pulsing colors. Maybe just tweak some funky color schemes over those tabs and you'll stumble upon something.

And I also use FF so it all looks "squashed" looks good in IE though.

Good luck.
  • tkditf
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tkditf

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've fixed most of the layout problems in opera and firefox, but one remains.

in firefox the main Div does not push down with the rest of the content, so the footer is actually at the top of the page.

anyone any ideas on how to fix this.
  • TwoSmokingPunKs
  • Loc: Homer, Alaska

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you add
Code: [ Select ]
#footer { clear:both;}
to your css, it will drop that footer down. Now the color part of your nav is too high, and where the footer rests is a little too high, but I'm not sure how to move those down. I'm trying to learn that part myself.
  • tkditf
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tkditf

Post 3+ Months Ago

cheers mate, that worked a treat.
  • Perad
  • Student
  • Student
  • Perad

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would style your text a bit, make it a little smaller. It might be just personal prefernece but i prefer a site with smaller text. Imo it looks more professional and tidy.
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didnt scroll back up to see, but the site is comming together nicely (even with the tabbed buttons :wink: ) however the layout is not working so well with firefox. 'Whats New', 'news', and the first 'newest member' all fit inside the main container. the second 'newest member' box is cut inhalf by the border ofthe main container and the 'test center' is below the footer. This is in Firefox 1.5 on win 2000 pro. You may be doing some work on it and this is what is causing this or maybe you just didnt know.......... anyway good luck
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's really odd. I thought maybe it was because you're at 800x600 (right?) but I've resized my window loads, and I'm not seeing that effect. I do, however, see the "footer" just under the nav bar, as typhon reports.
  • typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Me? Im not at 800 x 600 anymore (woo hoo) but I still see it kinda jacked up. I am only at 1024 x 728 I didnt get that in IE only in firefox.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oops. I forgot to include in my note that I'm using Firefox 1.5/XP.
  • tkditf
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tkditf

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeh, i noticed that in firefox. its strange, cause if you click on the 'news' tab the footer drops (but not enough) its basically the same as the home page but with a different layout. must be something to do with the second nav on the news page that pushes the footer down.
im totally confused with this one.
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your tabs look nice, but as far as I can tell they are nearly a direct port of the Sliding Doors tutorial (with minor color adjustments). They look good, as I said, but I'd suggest something a little more... original or unique.
  • tkditf
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tkditf

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi,

just wanted to link my site here and get some feedback all is welcome so please be honest.

http://www.tartan-terror.co.uk
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please don't start a new topic when you have one already. I've merged both topics into one for you.
  • tkditf
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tkditf

Post 3+ Months Ago

613flavah wrote:
Please don't start a new topic when you have one already. I've merged both topics into one for you.

sorry, and thanks.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers