SITE REVIEW: Team sBc - First Impressions?

• bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

All last night and early this morning I was working on a new website template for my Xbox Live team (which, ironically enough, is actually just me as of this moment). There is plenty to be done even without further aesthetic revisions, but I'd like to get any input possible as to the actual look and feel of the site. So without further adieu:

http://www.ligerexpress.com/tsbc/template.html

Note: Be aware that the forms, buttons, and links do not work. It is virtually a wax museum at the moment.

Also... can someone explain to me why FireFox has such trouble displaying radio buttons as they should be? Positioning things once uploaded and viewed in FireFox is a pain. Not only that, but form buttons always look strange... wider than need be, and like to position the text incorrectly.

(There are a few miscellaneous positioning errors if viewed in FireFox. I just now uploaded it, so I'll get to work on fixing those right away.)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow... i'm always amazed by how much effort goes into playing video games these days...

anyways... i think the overall design is nice... i like the neat, clean, light look of it...

there are a couple of things that get me, though...
i wish the left bar stuff had the same sort of rounded-rectangle, glassy modern look of the outer frame...
also, i think it'd be best to stick to just two fonts for now...
you've got the title font and the text font, but then there's the third font for the left bar stuff... i find it distracting... if it were the same as the title font of if it were just Arial or Verdana like the text, i think the whole site would flow more...

right now, that left bar looks like it's from another place than the rest of the page...

also, i think it could be a little spruced up with something interesting to look at... i must say, though, that, of the gaming sites i've taken a look at, it's the most pleasant one i can think of... modern but not too dark and techy feeling...

good luck
  • ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok im gunna write this review in just lines for ease of reading.

The site needs to be higher up on the page the gap is too big
I like the gradient at the back not to strong, subtle
Instead of making a new image for each title find a font the same and colour it. This will cut down on load time and your work.
This site has many fonts.
Will the header be just black or white or will it have some blue in it. maybe a flash header?
The html is nice and clean no excess code.

Overall a good looking website with a nice Macromedia.comish feel. Ill sign-up when its done![/url]
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

ace5p1d0r wrote:
This site has many fonts.

:lol: that's cute...
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, you guys bring up excellent points...

roarmeow: I know exactly what you mean about the left side panel. I was really unsure about it at first, but it sort of grew on me. I'll "glossify" it next time I work on it. As for the fonts... I'm debating. The title font looks horrible in that area, and Verdana... well, verdana might work. I'll try it. Also, would you suggest I make the news area more glossy, too? The dull hues of it make it seem out of place, but since you didn't mention it, it might just be working?

Ace5p1d0r: I see what you mean about the gap. I'll make it a bit smaller. As for the title... the problem is, I'm entirely certain the font would be horrible without anti-aliasing... and if they person does not have it on their computer, can they still see it? (I've never understood fonts all that well). And by the way, daFont would be where I got my fonts. ;)

As for the header... that's more or less a placeholder. I think a little Flash could allow for a more live-looking site, so I was/am considering it, but I'm not proficient with Flash. However, at the very least, it won't be black forever... I'm still trying to think of a maxim, too, hehe.

In regards to the clean HTML code... well, I try to keep it as clean as possible. By the time all is said and done, I'll probably have optimized the HTML/CSS file even more.

So, I guess in closing... if there is a way I could use a plain font for the title's without losing the quality, I'd be more than happy to hear it, because I'm not all too keen on the idea of images, either, but it was the only solution I knew of. I actually remember reading something about CSS anti-aliasing, I think, but maybe that's just my mind playing tricks on me.

Either way, thanks for the input.

Edit:
- Okay, I've lessened the gap. Should be fine now.
- I tried to create a new menu header. It's rounded and glossy, and the font is in-line with the rest, but I'm still not sure of it. Something doesn't seem right. Maybe someone could place it?

Another question... is the Master Chief image on the right a little too opaque? It's only a placeholder image, as I want to be able to cycle them and whatnot, but I think I might need to lessen the opacity so that the text is easier to read... but maybe it's fine?

Edit II: I've changed several navigation headers... there are four different ones now. Which looks best? Personally, I'm digging the third one, or the light blue with white text.
  • ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im sorry you are abosolutely right they would have to have the font installed on their computer. Make sure to save theam as gifs then to cut down on load time :D
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ace5p1d0r wrote:
Im sorry you are abosolutely right they would have to have the font installed on their computer. Make sure to save theam as gifs then to cut down on load time :D

That much I can do. :)
  • Jamey Bland
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with all stated above. To much texting can always lead to a hard to read site. As far as the banner, if you are not that good with flash, maybe just a nice fireworks rollover set to change when you move over your links up top (home, forums, roster, etc.) Maybe a different color filter per each link, that would be cool.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers