SITE REVIEW: TechieCert.com

• BillW
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,
Looking to improve the site and need opinions from a buyer's point of view. I resell web based IT training courses from this site. Please don't hold back.

Site: http://www.techiecert.com
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off, good job on the site BillW. Now for some minor things I noticed...

Don't center your navbar links, it makes it look messy and hard to read

Great use of image alt tags :iconthumbright: Just be careful you don't over use the same alt text for all your images because search engines may consider it as spam.

Couldn't find any spelling mistakes right off the bat so keep that up! I did notice that the "<More>" is clicable, I would change that to maybe say ">> more" instead. It also isn't very obvious that it's a link. I noticed that a few of your links are only bold and that seems to be the only way to tell them apart from regular text. I'd think about improving that. If you still want to keep the hover event that's fine but maybe change the colour of the text that is supposed to be a link. It is a bit confusing for the user right now.

Your top navbar has a section called "info" which when clicked has a title that says "about....". I'd change the info graphic to one that says "about". It's good practice to have a link have the same title as the page it's taking you to. Just to make it more clear to the user. You want your site to be as clear and simple as possible.

Under your faq section, I'd create a toc (table of contents) that when a user clicks on a specific question, it directs them down to that question, rather than the user having to scroll to find their question. It would just save them a lot of time. Especially if over time you had planned on adding more faqs.

On your contact page, you have your main content text centered. Don't. Just keep the graphic and the form centered but align the actual text to left.

Home button should be put in first place on that top navbar rather than last.

Good use of cookie crumbs

Great sitemap, I'd suggest having a "back to top" link at the bottom or at least after each section since your sitemap page is pretty long it would avoid the user having to scroll continously.

Does your company have a president or CEO? if so, try to incorporate a more "personal" feel to your site. Like on the privacy policy page you have right now signed it with the company name, instead, try adding the CEO/President's signature as an added comfort blanket that alot of online users look for. Something more familiar to them. More on a personal level.

On your proposed.asp page the difference in text size is too inconsistent.
Remember, consistency is key!

Try to not use the <center> tag and the <div align="center"> at the same time. Choose one of the other.

Definitely need to clean up your code, you've got double codes everywhere. Double open and close bold & font tags. NO need to.

Instead of assigning font tags to each and every table cell, set it up with your CSS.

Besides that, keep it up you're well on your way :)
  • BillW
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your time reviewing the site. I knew the code needed some cleaning up, your catching it just drives that point home.

I have been thinking of redoing the header by including some combination of graphics. That way even some of my text heavy pages will have some life to them.

I did this with another site of mine: http://www.mcse-training.com and was pretty happy with it. What are your thoughts on that? Does the header look ok as it is?
  • Sharandyr
  • Sharandyr
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Graphically speaking, other than the centered menu (text better off left-justified), the design is excellent, very pleasing to the eyes, nice job!

I'm jealous :wink:
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sharandyr wrote:
Graphically speaking, other than the centered menu (text better off left-justified), the design is excellent, very pleasing to the eyes, nice job!

yeah graphically Awsome, great job.
for the rest i dont no wat to say because i really like it, i like how you have centered the whole thing and yeah well it just looks professional.

-sycofi5h
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

BillW wrote:
I did this with another site of mine: http://www.mcse-training.com and was pretty happy with it. What are your thoughts on that? Does the header look ok as it is?

One site at a time per thread ;)
  • flashback10
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • flashback10

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think your site is awesome! I love the color scheme and layout. It's cool how your layout ties together in the top and bottom, rather than just a regular rectangular surface.

I too would consider working on your nav. buttons. They are a bit hard to read, along with your title headings.

Besides that, I think you off to a good start.

maria-

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers