SITE REVIEW: TechRemedies.com

• pteglia
  • pteglia
  • Loc: Port Townsend, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All, I am back with another of my sites (I have far too many :) )

Please visit http://techremedies.temp.powweb.com and let me know what you all think.

This site is a total CSS layout, and I think I have checked every page for validation on XHTML 1.0 Trans and CSS.

It is built on top of Mambo, the new version, which actually outputs good XHTML now :)

Thanks a bundle,

Pat Teglia
http://ptwebdev.com
http://techremedies.com
http://dragonroasted.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very clean looking, and nice site. I like the images you have for the different sections, and you've spaced everything out nicely as far as blocks of text. Very professional design, good for businesses/corporations. I'm sure you could make a good living making sites for corporations!

I noticed that when you use the menu on the left, sub sections expand when you click the link for services which makes it easy to see that there are indeed sub sections to go to. However when you use the menu on the top of the page, those sub sections do not open up and are not as clearly defined as being more links to go to.. Can you easily make it where the sub menu expands with either menu that you use?
  • pteglia
  • pteglia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had noticed that, and I think that is an issue that will be resolved when Mambo get's the next version out. It is a matter of setting the active page class, and it isn't being done right now. I hesitate to mod their code, because when the stable version comes out I am sure to upgrade, thus overwriting my changes with a version that invalidates those changes in the first place :)

I think what I will do in the mean time is put a sub-section sitemap on that page for the links in that section, that should fix the problem for the moment.

Thanks for the comments uknightuss.
  • pteglia
  • pteglia

Post 3+ Months Ago

AHHHAAAA! Thanks for that post, because that gave me an idea to make it work in this version. Instead of having that top menu item link to the internal Services page, I had it link to the URL of the lower menu Services page, which makes it work like a charm :)
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm, theres not enough white on this site! lol j/k.

Clean and professional - most likely exactly what you were looking for so kudos on that. Finally, someone with a full and complete CSS layout. Nice job with that. Not that I do all my sites in a complete CSS layout, but its just nice to see there are people out there practicing it.

A suggestion though - decrease the type size for your breadcrumbs...no real need for them to that big at all.

Also, there is no need to repeat your main navigation. Either keep it horizontal or vertical, choose one. Different navs go to different places so have 2 of the same may confuse the user.

The word "Newsflash" doesn't seem to be drawing any attention. This may want to be looked again if you do want users to be drawn to that section.

On the services page, you say "Are you on the Internet yet?" .... well duh :lol: I don't think I'd be looking at the site....some rephrasing should be considered.

Overall though, as I said, the site is successful in design and appeal. Just some minor changes are needed.
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

well the site is professional and neatly done. The loading is good. I admire this site because for some reason it's idealistic.

I like the images you use for the reason being it matches the phrase below it. I've always tried to adapt that technique when designing if it is a technique. It's a very simple and professional site. Keep it up. You seem to be good at it tho.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the style very clean :)

1. The nice photo of the kid is not a suitable at all and would be better to swap it for http://techremedies.temp.powweb.com/listentoyou.jpg

2. Top navigation mouse overs just dont work at all well on IE though Firefox shows it as better.

3. If a browser does not support (or your connection does not load) .css the <body> tag on its own will not look very good. Thats just a problem with having "vaid" WCW.

4. Click onto a log should take you to your hompage.
  • pteglia
  • pteglia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

Thanks for all of the comments.

Derek, I will reword that. I never actually liked that wording, especially when followed up by the ecommerce page.

About the site nav. I love the tabs and am finding it hard to drop them, but I will see what I can do. I have to have the left menu, or add dropdowns to th tabs. But because they don't work the greatest in IE/Mac, might just drop them.

The picture on the front stays until I replace it with Flash. I had the listening page on the front, and it was not colorful enough for the front page.

I forgot the logo link, I will fix that and the breadcrumb size today :)

Thanks all!

Pat
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is rather plain. Try adding some more color/graphics into it. I am seeing too much white space.

A kid does not belong on the homepage of your site!
  • pteglia
  • pteglia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, that image is of a woman, not a kid. See http://techremedies.temp.powweb.com/glass.jpg .

Thanks,

Pat
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

pteglia wrote:
Actually, that image is of a woman, not a kid. See http://techremedies.temp.powweb.com/glass.jpg .

Thanks,

Pat

...well spotted, but only on that jpg. The homepage jpg shows a kid thus has no credibility.
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm glad I could help with my observation, it does work like a charm now, good job!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers