SITE REVIEW: Telluride Official Guide

• dlankes
  • dlankes
  • Loc: Telluride

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please give any feedback you can about this site. Competition is tough out here and we are trying to break through in our market. Any suggestions would be greatly appreacitated.

http://www.tellurideofficialguide.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello!

Looks like a very professionally done website, and I can find very few things wrong! It loads fairly quick for the amount of pictures on the page, which is a plus. I like the menu along the top and how its color scheme contrasts with the rest of the onMouseOver links (black to white instead of white to black).

A few things I found "wrong". One is an inconsistency with the copyright image at the bottom, it is there only in the home page (not a real big deal, but it IS something to consider). Next the white chairlift wires (that match up with the mountain menu image) are not really neccisary IMO. I think they make a distraction in the mountain image, and they are above the table regardless of what menu link I am in. I think if you were to find a better place for the time and date, get rid of the chairlift cables, and butt the top of the table to the top of the browser, it would look much "cleaner".

One final thing. I think you could cut down on the number of images in your page by using CSS and a default font to create the rollover effects for the left hand side menu bar. Also on that bar, I think the magazine images could be skooted down a bit from the menu, and cropped a bit better to get it more centered (its a bit off to the left right now).

Other then that you page looks great! Hope it helps out with the resort!
  • pdrodriguez
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Boy, you weren't kidding when you mentioned a lot of competition in your market. Here are a few of my comments.

Site Design: Looks crisp, professional. Easy to navigate and find what you are looking for.

Copy: Very informative, seems just right. Home page--maybe be a little more aggressive about what your site is for. I.E., if you are planning a trip to our towns, we have everything you need....
I found a 3 broken links on the Telluride/profiles section: the three banners on right twoskirts,polkadot,travelintots are all broken. Print out coupons---I think that most people would not know how to do this. Maybe put the coupons in pdf format or somehow add a print coupon button that will actually print the coupons.

Competitive Analysis: After looking at some of the competition that you are up against, I had a few suggestions that may set you apart from them. Your site looks very similar to other sites and offers the same thing.

1. Add a Poll in various areas of site. I.e. Rate this restaurant. Or maybe develop a rating system for each of the various stores/services.
2. Add a menu page for each of the restaurants. No other site offers this. This would make it so much easier for the visitor, rather than having to call or go to other websites and search for the menus. Also, I'm not sure if it is important in your area, but are restaurants kid-friendly-people may want to know that.
3. Go to http://www.alexa.com, type in your url in address line and enter in your contact info, related links, and have someone write a review.
4. Add some testimonials in various parts of the site, ie. "Last week was my families first trip to Telluride, Colorado. It was absolutely fantastic with the help of http://www.tellurideofficialguide.com. We were able to plan everything for the week, even down to the restaurants we were going to eat at. Thanks tellurideofficialguide for your resourcefulness" Mary Tourist. Actually, the home page would be a great place for the quote.

These are just a few ideas. OVerall your site looks very professional.
Good Luck
Regards,
pdrodriguez
  • Loucon
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the site its well layed out.

i do however see a few problems you might want to look into. the pictures are not very clean. some are fuzzy. you might want to run the pictures to a graphic editor like photoshop to take out the dust.

also i don't really fancy the navigation drop down staying after i leave it. it would be better if it disappears after leaving it. i also did not notice the navigation at first you might want to change the color to something other than black like a light blue or deep green.

one other thing that you can do with out is the time and date on top of every page it really isn't need and does cause the site to look a little tacky.

other than that the content is great and the site is well put together.
  • dlankes
  • dlankes
  • Loc: Telluride

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have made some changes according to your feedback. Please take one more look and tell us what you think.
  • massfrequency
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

another possible suggestion, consider moving the search form into the top or left bars... it looks kinda weird where it is right now...
  • Michele
  • Michele

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would suggest you to substitute the addresses and the telephone numbers with a catching description. Go out and ask the stores, the hotel and the other activities what they would like to see as a descriprtion... for just a few dollars a Year.

The telepghone number and the address might appare with the mouseover fuction when the mouse is over the name or the description. Do not be just a telephone directory.

I hope this gives a potential idea
  • altyfc
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks clean and professional to me... well done!

The important thing (yet something that's all too often overlooked) is that it's functionalm - ie it does the job.

Aaron
  • tsnyderawt
  • tsnyderawt

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site is clearly very professional designed and I kinda like the site overall.

But since you are not using full screen (I'm on a 1024x768 laptop screen), the ad images in the right column grabbed my attention because they were the easiest to make out.

The script Telluride, Colorado is tough to read, so gets ignored. The javascript menu options are a fairly blurry. The very top line with tullurideofficialguide.com is almost impossible to see on a laptop screen, so this is wasted space.

There is lot's of text on the front page and I'm not keen on reading so much to figure out what you offer.

In some ways I think you have too much for one site or perhaps the title doesn't match content.

From the title, I was expecting a tourism site (official telluride), but the top menu options for radio, Real Estate, Shopping, Dining are not the first things a potential visitor would be interested in.

It is okay to offer the wide range of content, but I would suggest chaning the name to TellurideBusiness or something rather than the tourism oriented name you currently have.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers