SITE REVIEW: TemplateArchives

• mhammadd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mhammadd

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone, i've taken my time to review atleast 3 sites and i'm now really anxious to know your opinion on my site. Please give as much critique as possible..

http://www.asimpletemplate.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• webmattster
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmattster

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if its just me, but even on my T1 that still took a little bit to load the pictures. Might just be me.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, slow as a doped up arthritic tortoise on valium..

Unless you currently have 10,000 people on your site (which would be a valid excuse for having a slow site, heh), you might wanna think about getting some decent bandwidth :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It may have been a timing thing. Both sites slammed open for me on cable. rosanda, the one thing I particularly like about both sites is the graphics font you used. I'd be curious to know which one that is. Thing that stood out to me was that you took the time to make both sights standards compliant, and with XHTML even. My hat's off to you on that. If I had anything negative to say, they both look a little bit like "templates". (It just seems to resemble an appearance you see a lot of.) I think the cosmetic appearance is sharp and clear on both and a good mix of content and graphics.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okies, it's loading a bit faster now, but still kinda slow, and the images seem optimized nicely, most of them not more than a K or two...

I think they're both very nice sites, just one thing... It appears you're designing for a resolution of 800x600, which is a GOOD standard practice that most designers I know also follow (myself included), however, on an 800x600 display, your site is going to scroll sideways, as your layout is exactly 800 pixels wide. Even with a maximised browser, once you add scroll bars into the equation, you really want your layout to be 770 pixels wide (give or take a coupla pixels) to prevent the horizontal scrolling :)
  • Cibok
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Cibok

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I really like the first one. The top navigation could have some mouseover images, that would look sexy. The colors are also nice, but I would make the blue a little more darkish, to the same blue as the other site you got maybe?

The second site looks perfect, but some mouseover images would look good there also ;-)
  • mhammadd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mhammadd

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have finally come up with the second version of my sites layout and its now online.
Please let me know what you think and also let me know the loading time...

• _Leo_
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like both sites. If I had to chose one, it would be TemplatesArchives.com

Templates... has a "bug" on its rollover menu. When one of the firsts button are in the highlighted state, the rest at the right are moved one or two pixels to the left.
  • mhammadd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mhammadd

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the advice, i have already solved that one and also solved some other few bugs..
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
I have a lowly modem connection, not only that but it seems to be the slowest modem connection in existance. However, both sites loaded INCREDIBLY fast on my PC. Never known pages open so fast!

I haven't had time to have a good root through the sites yet, I will return, but I liked the look of them. No form over function. I hate all-singing-all-dancing sites with irritating animations and user unfriendly layouts, these didn't seem to suffer from that at all, yet still looked good.

I did notice there are no alt tags on the menu buttons. I'm maybe just being pedantic, just an accessibility thing.

I've bookmarked the sites for future viewing an possibly for future use too.
  • mhammadd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mhammadd

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi cerio,
you're right about the alt tags, but i seemed to have forgotten to add them on the homepage, the rest were fine, but thanks to you, i've solved it.
I'm happy to hear that the site loads fast..

Thanks for you comment
  • basadmin
  • Born
  • Born
  • basadmin
  • Loc: Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the colour scheme of it ... cool and refreshing .. i would maybe add a few better teaser templates to the mix as this is already a saturated market in my opinion ..
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey i like your choice of colours for the templatearchives site and the graphics and layout. the only thing that i don't think is practical is that there is a 'back' and a 'forward' link on the very first page which is not too practical since there would be no pages on your site to back or forward to..
  • mhammadd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mhammadd

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi guys,
thanks for the advice, i can see your point Cipher but unfortunately, i am re-using the images on the site and the forward and back button is part of the layout, so i can't just remove it from the front page, and secondly, ik my be used, like if someone was redirected to my site, then he might wanna go back.
Ahhh, just thought i'd give my site something new, something never done before, but i see your point there, its just that i can't do anything on that without redesigning the layout...

I am also asking any one interested on submitting a template, to please send me some.. I would be very happy to add them on their favour...
  • Khazun
  • Born
  • Born
  • Khazun
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Template Archives-I like the idea. Try and remove the white border that apears around the buttons (Using Opera Browser)

Web Soltuion Archinve: Perhaps make the banner a bit taller so it does not look as squashed.
  • floridafishandhunt.com
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I likes both of them the only thing I would have said is that the load time was a little slow. Besides that I think I heard someone say they were cool and refreshing and I think those are great adjectives for your layouts. I couldnt do one of those they are pretty nice.
Doug
One last thing , If you site layout changes, say you want to add content that takes the size from 1000px to 1100px vertically do you have to reslice images or do you just add scrollbars?
  • mhammadd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mhammadd

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, i'd say, it just expands with the new contents. No matter how much content i add, its just like a table, it grows with the content. If you'd like to know how this works, then check out the tutorials on how to create a template on this site.

• webdesigns
  • webdesigns

Post 3+ Months Ago

The following site is awesome!

http://www.websolutionarchives.com

Very very nice job on this site. I am in awe!

-Clean design
-Easy to navigate
-Many popular basics covered
-It's free

1. Too bad your forum is down. Who is your web host?
2. It'd be nice if you puts a, "Scripts" section in there.
Java, cgi, perl etc..
3. Are you going to incorporate a, "Flash" section? Something easier is using SwishMAX (swishzone.com) and you could link to their free files at swish-db.com (I just checked swish-db.com and I think their server is down. Keep your eyes on it though, because it is an awesome resource.)

I'm going to recommend this site to all of my members, friends, and anybody else who will listen!

Congrats and keep up the great work!

-Jon Harrison
  • Tirian
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Tirian

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice interface.

- I love the bright, inviting colors
- Very good content
- The way the user can preview the templates is really nice! You are one of the few sites that I have seen that does that. Most other sites simply give a screen shot

Suggestion, you need to get a faster web hosting provider. The site loaded slowly and you are going to lose visitors if the have to wait 2 -3 sec for the page to begin to load.

Besides that, great job!

(Hm... it looks like my site might need a new look with a new template.....)

~Tirian
  • mhammadd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mhammadd

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,
this goes to WEBDESIGN, thanks for the comments, i'd like to add some new categories, but i just thought i'd start with topics i have experiences on. I thought of adding a SCRIPT and FLASH section, but i later changed my mind, cause i'm not very good on most scripts and i just started learning flash today. I know about SWISH, and i am an affiliate on one of there sites, but i have not yet tried it. I will when i get some experience with Flash.

About the hosting thing, well i am hosting my site on my server at home, unfortunately, i'm only a student and have no family where i live. I depend on scholarship and have no work, so it will be very difficult for me to pay a hosting provider.
Read more about me here http://www.hassan4africa.com.

This goes to TIRIAN. i am very grateful for your comments. As i stated above about the hosting, its a bit difficult at this moment.
I just hope that i get some income in the near future, so that i might be able to increase my uploading bandwidth.
On the way my templates are viewed.. well i also noticed that most of the sites out there don't really let you into the real thing and that i call cheating. How would someone really pay for a template that he hasn't really seen.

I will be happy if you used one of my templates on your site, but please don't use them on a business site without consulting me first.
I added a lovely site today, really professional and qualified for a business site..

check it out http://www.asimpletemplate.com
  • Tirian
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Tirian

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great! About using a template for business use, you don't have to worry about that. I don't have the time to revamp my website right now and besides I don't have a business.

I love your templates, though!

~Tirian
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

link the templat pictures to make it so that a user can click on the picture and view the template, not so they have to click on View to see the template. i am used to this one site like that so i tried it and i didn't get it to work
  • bellfrenzy
  • bellfrenzy
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's hard for me to review the site, because it is either loading extremely slow on my cable connection or it has some dead links. it looks like other people had similar problems, so it might be something you should check out.
  • mhammadd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mhammadd

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,
pardon me for my dust.
I am hosting my site on my computer at home, and my upload bandwith is 12MB, which is extremely slow.
Unfortunately i don't have money to host it somewhere else, neither buy a new server.
Its a pity, that its happening this way, but theres no other alternative for now..
I hope things will get better in the near future..

Please be patient and comment on the contents and layout.

Thanks guys
  • mhammadd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mhammadd

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi guys,
i think i've found out the problem that's causing my site to load slowly. It happens that my Apache server is not functioning properly. It seemed like i had a bug.. Every now and then it stop functioning and ends up loading terribly slow.
I have also adjusted the quality of my images and re-sliced them.. It should load now faster..

Please let me know how fast it loads on your connection..

• mhammadd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mhammadd

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am still looking for reactions on the loading speed. Can someone with a slow connection help me out?
  • sm2k4
  • Born
  • Born
  • sm2k4
  • Loc: Northbrook

Post 3+ Months Ago

These are very good and useful sites that provide good information and basic tuts for beginners like me. the navigation is excellent and the design contributes to it because it's clean and pleasing to the eye. i especially like that tut for making layouts...gonna bookmark it!

sorry don't know what you could improve...i can only advise on the estetics becuase i don't know any coding.

So i suggest you add a nice bluish banner to the left top corner where that gray space is on the first website.

Oh the the sites load super fast on the T1 at my school!
  • mmelen
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mmelen
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The sites look very good... But if you are going for more of a proffesional look I would take of the nedstat counters... and maybe get some unvisable counter.
  • mhammadd
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mhammadd

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys,
well i'm working on my own counter and i hope to get it done soon..
  • jmintuck
  • jmintuck

Post 3+ Months Ago

What a nice layout and I had no problem getting it up.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 54 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers