SITE REVIEW: Tennis Tour

• twitchyeye
  • twitchyeye

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's a site that started a few years ago. I upgrade it a bit every year. I welcome suggestions for improvement.

http://www.tennistour.org

cheers
  • dojo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Timisoara, Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

The yellow it too bright.
You should work the images more.
Try to have tables with 0 border
Hover effect on links looks better
It's too "two tone"
Needs some more work. Good luck :)
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

The yellow on the page draws my attention straight to that line a little too much.. also, the tennis tour images such as http://www.tennistour.org/LAtennisTour/ ... urname.jpg could use a bit of work around the curves.. looks like it was enlarged from a smaller picture or are very low quality. but, the file size is too big anyways. Go with Gif instead of jpg. same thing with the top image.. way too big of a file size but that one looks fine to me. At my resolution, the actual page (vs. the header) starts a bit low.. just something to think about.
  • twitchyeye
  • twitchyeye

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I added a bit more color, turned down the brightness of the yellow, and re-did the images for the Puget Sound Tennis Tour and the LA tennis tour.

thanks for the input
  • 1234PENS
  • Born
  • Born
  • 1234PENS
  • Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sites looks good, instead of the blue color why dont you use a green type of color like a tenis ball.
  • Abelius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Miami Beach, FL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) When a page needs half a screen for the header, it's like a singer with too big an entourage... Not good.
2) Sponsored by should allow a link to the sponsors, preferably with a target="_blank"
3) Make sure the width of the page does not trigger the horizontal scroller to appear. Unless there is images that just don't fit, it shows that the designer is unexperienced.
4) The width of the main page and the width of the tours (Los Angeles) don't have the same page width... Were they designed by the same person?

Overall, a 3... Not good enough!
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Definitely agree that the yellow has got to go or be toned down. It's the first thing I see and that's not supposed to be the focal point of your site.

Your site isn't browser scalable.

You have 2 completely different layouts for your site. I can't stress enough to keep your site consistent. Stick to ONE LAYOUT ONLY. For a split second I thought we were on a totally different website. EDIT: I take that back, I just found a third layout!

YOu really need to review the layout of the content, it's very disorganised right now. I don't know where to go from that intro page. Where is your navigational bar? It needs to be visible right away, right now I need to get to a sub page to find it.

I would move the copyright info to the very bottom of the site, right now it seems to be squished between the yellow and the blue images.

Try to get your navbar titles all on one line, It will make it look cleaner. Also work on the order of the items listed. Contact us should be one of the last items while Entry Form and Rules should be one of the firsts.

Minimize the size of your sponsors and optimize your images properly. Some of the images are choppy. You may not have the right width & height for them. So make sure you check your code.

Links to other websites should open in a new browser window. Otherwise you are encouraging users to leave your site.

On the main.shtml page, the titles are being cut by the table? I can barely make out what is printed right underneath "Get ready for the 2005 tour!"

Missing alt tags on images.

Use CSS to declare your fonts rather than inline font tags.

What's the point of having the opening and closing TD tags at the very end of your code? I'd remove it, it serves absolutely no purpose.

Good luck! :)
  • alerik
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: People Republic of China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Review the layout of the content, it is not very organised right now.

I don't know where to go from that introdution page.

Minimize the size of your sponsors and make a link to there website.

1March-April #2June-July #3Sept-octo. This looks not very nice. Can you take this out and make a nice button for it.

Take the weather forecast out because you leave your site for YAHOO? :cry: If not than make a link or find software so that you can put a weather forecast on your one site.

Lets make it work....good luck.
  • twitchyeye
  • twitchyeye

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good feedback.

Originally the site basically started at http://www.tennistour.org/main.shtml

I later added the main page at http://www.tennistour.org

A big reason for the difference in styles is that I work on the website every year at Christmas and not much in between. Every year I add another section based on learning a few new tricks.

I realize it looks like there are several seperate websites.

Sounds like I need to go through the site and update using one style.

It's one of those things that I knew about but wasn't sure anyone else really noticed. Now I know!

Thanks
  • snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are too many graphics (.gif) on the site, which makes it slow. You might consider to change to a faster host or reduce the graphics.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

there aren't too many files, they just still aren't even remotely optimized (file size wise) for a website.
  • twitchyeye
  • twitchyeye

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe there are too many images on http://www.tennistour.org/main.shtml

Total it's only 34K. I didn't think the number of images mattered as much as size. I did optimize the using fireworks.

Cheers
  • javascriptman221
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Extremely creative site. I do have a suggestion though. I think that you should make everything fit on the screen. I noticed that I have the little scrolling bar thing at the bottom to scroll left and right because not everything fit. In other words, great site! :D
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi, if you are able to Bold or emphasize all these
"Tennis at your convenenience
played on your schedule at your location

Unlimited Challenge Matches
Automated Match Scheduler
Weekly Tour Newsletters

Finish it off just like the pros with a
Round Robin Masters Cup Tournament
"

It will look really good then... :-)
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Umm yeah what can i say, it does the job that you need to do, so yeah but if you wnat to make it well "Cooler" umm yeah add more colors because the white, yellow and blue is well yeah plain go for like the colors that are the same go for 3 different yellows and 3 different blues to make it like yeah flow it you get my drift.
-sycofi5h

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers