SITE REVIEW: The Alpine Chalet Company

• themarr76
  • themarr76

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I am totally new to this, and this is my first attempt at a website so feedback very much appreciated.... http://www.thealpinechaletcompany.com

I built the site using the website builder 1&1 and trying to add ALT text to imgs is tempremental. As you can see from the first page of my site ive been able to add ALT text to one of the IMGs but not the others, the code just doesnt seem to find the source even though the file is there?? any sugestions greatfully received...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• jfrasier
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If this is a first attempt at a website, using a tool like website builder 1&1, then good job man!

I mean there is of course some tweaks that you could do, but I have seen alot of garbage for first attempts, and even 3 and 4th attempts. You have some decent text layout, an established navigation and a decent header. Your message is clear and distinct, and nice work along the edges.

I would remove the timestamp from the chalet image though, and all images in general. Even a photograph from an amateur can deliver professional quality, but the one thing that always ruins it is when a timestamp is left on the photograph.

In regards to your images, they do not have to all be aligned center. Try aligning them right and left as well. I always recommend that beginners look over magazines. They are the perfect example of how text and imagery should be formatted.

One little thing though, take off the counter. It is so 90s, and really doesn't achieve anything especially when your site is just starting out.

Unfortunately, your code has alot of problems. No title tags, meta etc, but that is a result of using a website builder. Nothing can really be done about that until you invest in a true HTML editor.

But nice start and good work.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with the above.. it really looks pretty good, especially for a first attempt. I definitely agree that the site counter has to go. Also, ditch the Comic Sans font. That's never really a good choice of font.. Verdana would probably be cool for this site. Other than that, the graphics and their border effects look cool, and the site looks good. Nice job!
  • Ethan718
  • Born
  • Born
  • Ethan718

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with what has been said, but personally I don't like how the ripped-jagged navigation . Maybe just a regular gradient would look nice, I just don't like that, seems less professional.
  • Kerry1978
  • Kerry1978
  • Loc: Montreal

Post 3+ Months Ago

jameson5555 wrote:
Also, ditch the Comic Sans font. That's never really a good choice of font.. Verdana would probably be cool for this site.

Have to agree with the Comic Sans font, and the counter as well..it somewhat "cheapens" the experience.

Also noticed the logo banner with Blue "The Alpine Chalet Company" seems a wee bit too dwarfed...maybe a bit larger font?

Other then that, great site for someone just starting out in my opinion- keep up the good work!
  • themarr76
  • themarr76

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks For the input, ive made a few changes (the counter has gone, and changed the Font, also made the title as large as it will go before it moves onto two lines) I think its looking better so thanks again.

Andy
http://www.TheAlpineChaletCompany.com
  • celandine
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

EXCELLENT first attempt - seriously, I've seen loads and this one is great. really. just two things i'd suggest - one, the blue text of the title is a little too dark for me on the dark header - maybe a lighter blue?

also your homepage pictures have that nice fuzzy fade-to-white border that makes them look snowbound, but then that is in stark contrast with the light gray color of your main content background... why not try and make the main content background white? I know 'white' is like 'non-color' in a lot of people's minds, but sometimes less is more - and you'll get that great effect of 'snow-bound' to continue uninterrupted.... I only thought of it because on my computer your images loaded a second before the background color, and I thought 'aww that looks so nice!!' and then 'hmm that looks just a little less nice' when the gray came in....

a technical niggle - two of your pages - 'weather' and 'contact us' - are a tiny bit out of line with the others (try going from the homepage to the 'weather' page - you will see the page jump a millimeter to the right. I know it's really no big deal in the grand scheme of things but I hate it when pages do that :D

anyhow, really outstanding work for a beginner. keep at it!!!
  • oskillzzo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • oskillzzo

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is real good for first time. very informative
  • getxposed
  • Born
  • Born
  • getxposed

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good job but I would put the links in the left (empty column).

MT

themarr76 wrote:
Hi, I am totally new to this, and this is my first attempt at a website so feedback very much appreciated.... http://www.thealpinechaletcompany.com

I built the site using the website builder 1&1 and trying to add ALT text to imgs is tempremental. As you can see from the first page of my site ive been able to add ALT text to one of the IMGs but not the others, the code just doesnt seem to find the source even though the file is there?? any sugestions greatfully received...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers