SITE REVIEW: the first site I created

• section8ff
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Houston

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is the first site I created, and actually wanted to put effort into. This was the major reason for wanting to learn HTML and CSS, and for wanting to continue to learn more. I would like honest reviews regarding layout, functionality, and any other area you feel could use improvement. I dont want anyone to go easy on this page, I want you to tell me what you think, what you feel could be improved, and what is good about the page. the page is located here

I appreciate all responses

section8
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

My first websites were something like this. You've got the basics and know how to use the code, now you just gotta keep improving.

I suggest that you tell visitors to the site that you have to click his name to get to the other content. Also the page is a bit wide on the main.html page.

I was more focused on the content though... The video and the eulogy moves me, I even got a tear in my eye.

If you need any help let me know :) I'd be glad to assist you.
  • TA
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be bluntly honest -- you won't get any "real" reviews from experienced Webmasters, mainly because you're using Tripod; and also because you don't have any control over the code.

If you're going to truly learn HTML & CSS -- buy your own domain so that you'll have 100% control over all of the files.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to have to agree with TA there ... I would suggest buying a domain name for yourself, or if you know soeone who owns a domain, you can just add a sub-domain to their site without having to touch any of their coding ...

but as far as your site goes I will say the following ...

The fixed background image gives a bit of an unprofessional (myspace) feel to it ... And it feels like there is no solid structure to the site, meaning the images and text just feels "pasted" in there. The images aren't aligned in any manner and aren't the same size ... I'm not saying the images have to be the same size, but at least they have to be aligned in such a manner that the images and text flow with each other.
  • scoobby
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • scoobby

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry but it sucs!
  • fulload
  • Loc: Isle of Wight, Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello...
As I am unable at this point in time to give solid aid with regard to coding, I will only offer my comments on the overall appeal of the site.
First... I am sincerely sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you and Darnell's family. You don't say how he died, but in the end it doesn't matter, the loss of anyone who was doing good in this chaotic world, is tragic.

Critique:
Home:
I would work on the header bar. You say to enter the site, click on Darnell's name... IF you used a hot spot, you need to make it larger, because the sweet area to get you into the back page, is small once the video is running... Which is odd? Also the font/typography on the home page is very amateurish in appearance, and it is far to wide... I would suggest trying to keep it within the older traditional 800pixel width.

The back page:
While the context is of interest, the page layout is a mess. No one want to scroll up and down & side to side.
Plant the image of Darnell as a background image and make the text scroll over it. Again pull it all back together closer to that 800 pixel width to eliminate the side to side scroll.

Reevaluate your color and typography selections on the entire site.
Find a webhost company that will host your site and do it up right. It really doesn't cost that much in todays market, and I suspect that this fellow deserves the best you can give his memory.

Hope some of this helps.
I remain,
g
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got only banners. Did you remove the site?
  • lorinnicole

Post 3+ Months Ago

you really need alot of work on that, but kudos for wanting to learn more! ;)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great start. Show Garnell Teamer the full respect and get a real host rather than a free one like TA said.

I can help you with the site. Just PM me if you want the help.

The movie was great. I felt sorry for Garnell Teamer. Was he the one with the graduation cap on his head? Or who was he or she? The movie didn't really make that evident.

Like I said, I can help you with your site, and you can have a true site that is a memorial to that person.
  • missy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: london

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I would suggest some quick changes, first, shrink the picture of the firefighters/flag, so you don't have a scroll bar at the bottom. Then change the text " The Thoughts Of Darnell's Friends and Family" to "leave a comment in the guestbook" or similar. I thought I was going to read the thoughts of people via that link.
For a first website, it's pretty good. As long as people can see the content, that's what matters!

Missy
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

To all: I am thankful there are folks out there who are willing to provide help to someone who is starting out. I am looking to further my education in this field and do this for a living. I have been taking everyone's advice, suggestions, and other recomendations under advisement, and will use them to better the page.
  • Gonefishing
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

section8ff wrote:
This is the first site I created, and actually wanted to put effort into. This was the major reason for wanting to learn HTML and CSS, and for wanting to continue to learn more. I would like honest reviews regarding layout, functionality, and any other area you feel could use improvement. I dont want anyone to go easy on this page, I want you to tell me what you think, what you feel could be improved, and what is good about the page. the page is located here

I appreciate all responses

section8

I wonder why everyone starts with Tripod .. I don’t really like it cos of the irritating popups that comes with it… I am rather reluctant to click on URLS that belongs to tripods …
But I would say it’s a good start if you are a novice and at least you got your creative juices running with the words and texts …
Banner ads you had were not blending well with background thus making it looks rather patchy ..
Lots of square boxes …making it less appealing IMHO.
I suggest adding more pages and start with navigation and menus.
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I picked tripod for the space, and the ability I had with it to do what I wanted to. When I started, I didnt know there were such things as PHP and stuff. Knowing this is out there, I have begun the hunt for a better host, but not having much luck. The one thing I didnt know is that tripod has popups...never seen them, and I have trouble coding with the banners, as I dont see them either. You mentioned square boxes, were you meaning that the borders on the tables were visible? I like the menu's and navigation idea, and will likely start planning that...once my laptop becomes operational...

Thank you for the critique, it helps out a bunch
  • ifnh573
  • Born
  • Born
  • ifnh573
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, honestly I don't know.

As other people say, why don't you get a domain of your own?

Start with php or asp or whichever suits you. Tripod...don't you have limited access?
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do appreciate the advice, and have implemented some of them, I resized the images, and removed the background on the main page. I also added a caption under the entrance picture to better direct traffic to the second page. I know I have a lot to improve on, and you you folk's help, I hope to continue to improve.

BOGEY: I apologize, I have yet to get the template up and running yet, I just recently got my laptop back operating
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you move the site to another host ... ? I only get a Tripod error when I try to view the original link ...
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry about that, didnt realize that the original link was different. I have changed the link, it is here, sorry for any inconvenience.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing you could do is remove the blue from around the image that say "Darnell Teamer" ... by just adding this:
Code: [ Select ]
img{border:0px;}

to the stylesheet ...

that's about it from my side ...
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
One thing you could do is remove the blue from around the image that say "Darnell Teamer" ... by just adding this:

to the stylesheet ...

I appreciate that, will go and implement it now. Again, thank you to all
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

A good site. Easy to read the text and doesn't hurt the eyes :D Some sites that I see have that effect on the eyes. The "clash" effect I like to call it. I can't really find anything bad or anything to say toward your site.

I like your goal to keep your friend remembered, but it would be better if it was off tripod and on it's own easy to remember url. (Payed host in mostly most cases).
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
A good site. Easy to read the text and doesn't hurt the eyes :D Some sites that I see have that effect on the eyes. The "clash" effect I like to call it. I can't really find anything bad or anything to say toward your site.

I like your goal to keep your friend remembered, but it would be better if it was off tripod and on it's own easy to remember url. (Payed host in mostly most cases).

I agree, and will eventually get on with a paid host, just cant right at this moment. What my hopes are, is that when I go back to school, I will be able to host the site on their network and use the site as a class project. So, I am holding off a little bit on the paid hosting, until I find out for sure. Out of curiosity, what are some of the better paid hosts?
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:

to the stylesheet ...

ok, how would I go about adding this, do I just .img it in the CSS? I appreciate all the help, and apologize for all the questions...

*EDIT: figured it out, again, thank you.
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, so I removed the border, and relocated the text under the picture to remove the lines. I appreciate everyone's input, please keep it coming, every message gets read and put to good use.
  • baddad1
  • baddad1
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went I saw NOTHING! Is it gone?
  • section8ff
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

baddad1 wrote:
I went I saw NOTHING! Is it gone?

no, not taken down, there was a mixup in links, the good link is on the second page...
  • eBWiz
  • Born
  • Born
  • eBWiz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have your removed your site? I could not see anything except the ads!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers