SITE REVIEW: The-Fusion

• Purple Haze
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, this this is a free chat site for Kids and Teens.
Please give honest opinions, but also take into account that this site is brand new.
So therefor the members numbers aren't too high.
Thankyou SITE URL: http://www.the-fusion.co.uk
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not too bad. I Like it overall, but you would completely lose me as a viewer, because at some point while browsing your site I got a popup to download "Orbit Browser Plugin" by Tempo Internet -- I already know that's spyware. If that's you're host that did that, I'd suggest a new one. Bottom line is although I like the concept of your site, I'd never go back to it because of that.
  • Purple Haze
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea i think that's something to do with paypopup i might remove some of them.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

let's work on the footer Purple Haze. No larger than 468x100px @ 6kb. thanks. :)
  • Purple Haze
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

What footer?
  • jubilaki
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i love it
apart from the fact that i went on and i was the only one there it is really nise
when it gets a bit more popular it is nise
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not bad. Looks like what it is. If I were a kid, I'd think it looked like fun.

One recommendation to make it look even cooler: Use CSS's a:hover and bring some of your links to life. Make them change colors or go bold or do something funky to the underline or.....

Another recommendation, use the same a:hover to make the "home, forums, games, contact" images come to life. Keep the current image as your resting state link image and make a separate rollover image. I recommend using this and making another version of the graphics where the crosses and text light up and become more distinct.

You might want to make your top image links a little more crisp too. They seem a little low-quality. What program are you using. Try to get your hands on a copy of photoshop if possible.

Good luck.
  • Purple Haze
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes i made them with Photoshop, but to be really honest with you i am a novice with it.
Well i would have to read a tutorial for the rollover and hover things you said about, that seems like it would make it loads better.
Your advice has been brilliant, and i will definately act on it.

How would i make images look sharper and better quality?
  • barmybint
  • barmybint
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello! I am a novice too. I thought it looked good - the design was well thought out and would appeal to teens (I'm way past that, so I'm just guessing!) Do all of those games work? Wow - there were so many! I would imagine that once word gets round, it'll be popular.

My only minor gripe was that the blue on blue colour scheme could do with a bit more contrast.

Barmy x
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

To improve the quality of your images, start with a 300 pixel/inch (I think) resolution, design your images using several layers if needed, and then when you're done with all of your effects and what-not flatten the image, resize the image to 72 pixels/inch and the appropriate size for your website and then do "save for web" (alt+shift+ctrl+s <- shortcut). In the save for web preview window, you'll be able to see what your image will look like when it's optimized. If your file is a JPEG Increase/Decrease your optimization levels to increase/decrease the quality of your image. Usually, 55 is adequate. If your file is a gif, increase/decrease the amount of colors to use. Usually 64-128 is fine for a gif.

This should get you started. "Save for Web" is your friend. Get to know it as well as you can!
  • Purple Haze
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thankyou for your help and time, i will surely do that when i get home, i am at college at the moment.
And yes i was actually thinking of changing the background color to make more of a contrast, maybe a nice white with a rounded cornered edges.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

save for web makes it 72 dpi for you in the compression process. ;)

Since the web's dpi is 72, there's no reason to design a web site
in 300dpi unless you plan to print it for something. As for the
quality setting, I would simply recommend you judge the image's
quailty to the lowest setting it will go without pixellating or
distorting. This will be different for every image.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems I usually get better results when I start at 300 and scale down to 72, but I'm not a photoshop guru. That's probably more your domain than mine.
  • steve101
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • steve101

Post 3+ Months Ago

you say it's based for kids, from that aspect it looks good, the banner is nice and crisp. Some alterations could be made to the navigation to make it a little clearer, otherwise it's a fine website. Just to repeat what others have said really, image resolution! Good work!
  • Purple Haze
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well thanks for your review.

P.s just to add, this is my first site.
  • RoundHost
  • RoundHost

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks quite tablie if you get what i mean, the tables are so square and rectange looking, just needs a bit of spicing up ;)
  • Purple Haze
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please don't comment on my site, yours is a bought template so i could say to you. Go and make a website. So please just leave it to the real webmasters of this forums to review it please.

Oh and by the way you give people one liner reviews just to get a review of your own, stop that aswell.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

it seems you have based the majority of ur site on the phpbb2 template, which works ok...
but making your own graphics will put you in your own place, and make the site more unique
on the first page. The background to the table fits fine in some resolutions, but on my 1280x1024 the darker blue hatch background seems a lil lost.
might have meant to be like that, but i am only saying..

you have centered the kids chat, but the java chat on the teen chat is too the left.

hope i helped.
Nucleo
  • games_master
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • games_master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice i like it, i feel atracted to the forum been a teen too, i realy like the nav writing.
nice thing going on ther keep up the good work.
  • Purple Haze
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks you two and some good feedback aswell.
I wil take a good gander at that resolution problem nucleo.
Cheers guys :wink:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers