SITE REVIEW: The_Grid.exe (Sci-Fi Site)

• Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: ChicagoLand, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I redesigned this site for a friend's novel: The Infinity Grid

http://www.alanjoseph.com/kimbrell.htm

I need to finish the Bio info, but everything else is up... what do you think? I was going for an 80's-tech thing, Speilberg circa E.T. - I can almost hear Lipps Inc's "Funky Town" spinning from a 45(rpm) in the distance!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the layout and it is a great idea overall. I would however (if you have control over them) stop the little dohickies from going behind the green reading area. They are a bit distracting.

Your page doesn't lend it's self to much eye candy/graphics. I could however watch those little doohickies for a while.

You also need a title! It's a great flash page, but it's lacking something. Mostly eye candy of some sort.
  • Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: ChicagoLand, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's weird because I thought the same thing, but didn't want to put too much 'movement' on the page, which is why I opted for the plain stars as backdrop.

I was originally thinking of something like spaceship parts that had crashed into the top of the grid and was laying there, sparking electricity off into space, maybe a couple of power cords dangling or something...

Thanks for the suggestions...
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea some stuff like that might be cool. Like cables causing the sparks, and shards of metal, etc.
  • mmelen
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mmelen
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ehhh..... It's okay... 6/10
The layout is unique but first of all I think it's too small... I have 1024x768 resolution and your site takes about 1/5 of it up.... Also, if you are thinking of starting to advertise I would change the site name... Right now it's "Untitled Document"
  • TheNotoriousMogg
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheNotoriousMogg
  • Loc: Silicon Valley, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do not like the whole grid/navigation menu. I think it looks to sci fi channelish I would try adding a different type of menu with a few more colors or graphics, something that catches the readers eyes better.
  • Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the layout i think that this might be as it is an unuseual layout and i have not seen one like this.

I agree that it could do with some eye candy just to give it that edge.

I would rate the site 7/10, let us know when you have added some graphics as i think that will make a big difference,

Cheers

Tone
  • barmybint
  • barmybint
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK - I agree with the comments about the grid - very nice (very Matrix!)

My screen is also set 1024x786 and it is small! There doesn't appear to be much content? Just the "Home" "Bio" & "Merch" links at the top (or am I being dim?) Somewhere in the text it says to click the button to email the author - I see no buttons?

Very cool look though - I like it!

Barmy X
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not bad. 6/10. It's a little too basic. Somebody already said, but it seems like something is missing. I think you should make everything a little better and include a few pics (book cover, artist profile pic, etc). The idea is a good one, just tweak it a bit and it'll be fine.
  • Cryptor69
  • Cryptor69

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, this is a great idea ! Hoever I have few comments :

#1. I would definetly try a version with a much larger size of the overall movie, this one is tiny and does nto have the proper effect.

#2. The grid could meybe look much better if it was done with much thinner lines and tight grid. IMHO they should be squares and not rectangles.

#3. Personally I would make the little..thingies a different shape, something that better resembles computer stuff, meybe a green bump/pulsating slightly thing. Also give them much longer routes, make sure the routes dare independent from the edges of what is on top ( the displays/green stuff ).

#4. The green txt look should be longer, it's so short now that it;s very noticable.

Great idea hoever ;)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers