SITE REVIEW: The Home Field

• vpar2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vpar2
  • Loc: Rockville MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I recently started a sports site called The Home Field. I dont have much traffic yet, but i do have a good bit of content up. I would really appreciate any comments you have(good or bad--the bad ones are better because then I know what to change :lol: ). Link is http://www.thehomefield.com or my sig. Thanks a lot.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to add alot more content. The NFL section is a good start, but NBL and NHL are looking pretty sad. Also you, have tons of links but only about 5 work, its not nessacery to have all of the teams websites on you site, but if your going to do that at least make the links work. I like the idea and the header image looks nice. Your nav bar is cool too, but the background yellow is a litte plain in the main content, and it is too long there's no point in having it like 800px's long when you only use like 300px's, when you scroll to the bottom all you see is a empty yellow box and a gray background. another thing is that you have no meta tags, this is very bad if you want to be on any search engines. There a some more things i noticed but work on those key points and it will help you a lot
  • vpar2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vpar2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot for pointing out the meta tags--I had just transitioned my site to use a site template so I wouldnt have to change each page, and I forgot about the meta tags. The issue about the pages being too long has also been fixed--thanks a lot.

As for the content, I am looking for more writers, but right now its just me and one other person(mostly me). As my site has only been up for 20 days, there is a limit to how much content I can have up.

Any text that isnt underlined isnt actually a link. If I dont have any articles up for a certain team yet, I just dont make a link. But thanks for pointing out that I may not need team pages, ill look into it.

Changing the background yellow is something ill also look into, but I dont want anything that will distract from the text, which is the main focus of my site.

Overall, you had great comments Mars, and they really helped me. You took some time to look over my site, and I appreciate it.

Also, Mars, you mentioned some other points I could work on. I would love to hear them.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing that would be very beneficial to you, would be to add an external style sheet. I remember my first site, it was very annoying, when i had to change one little thing of the layout(or a huge thing), I would have to go and change every single page(talk about time consuming). I know it may sound like alot of work to switch to CSS but it would be extreamly helpful to you in the long run. if you do not know what CSS is i would strongly recomend that you look in to it, because there will be many times in the future when you will want to change the layout.

Another thing that you might want to change... Your different articles kinda run together even though the date is in bold and the link is under it at glance it looks to close.... see how ozzu boxes up its post... image what would happen if they didn't, you would know when one post ends that the other begins, well thats how your list of articles look. I would suggest that you did something like that to seperate each new article, even if its just puting an <hr> tag under each new thing.

I looked trough some of your articles and none of them seem to have pics, most sports articles do, sports fans love to see action, they don't just want to read about it, so i would strongly advise that you put a few pics and have your text wrap around them. It also would wouldn't be a bad idea to through some video clips in there, but then again you said that you wanted a simple site. Think about my suggestions and reply on what you think... once you fix those i can tell you what else needs to be fix, and i really like the whole idea of your site, i'm sure it will be a great benefit to the www.
  • vpar2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vpar2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I know about CSS, but im too lazy to do it, so Im using a frontpage dynamic web template, which does almost the same thing, but its much easier. I just switched this site over to use no frames, and it was a giant pain to do it, so yeah, I can appreciate the value of just having to change one page.

Im not sure about the articles running together. I could try something like a CSS box or a line under each...ill play around with that idea and see.

As for the pictures, that is a good idea. I put 2 up on the articles about Yao Ming and Mike Martz. I just dont want to put in images just for the sake of it. Ill see how they fit in.

I was thinking about putting up video too, ill see what I can find.

Thanks for your suggestions Mars, I dont know why i didnt think of pictures.....

I appreciate your help.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

No problem, i am glad to be of help.
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Loc: George Mason University

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to know....is this a personal site of yours?
If so I would have to say that you did a great job with the layout! The content on NFL is great....MLB is not but the rest are also so-so. I would say a major project that would help is adding pictures and getting the rest of the teams done. Only a few teams have links in each sports section. Congrats on the site though, great job!
  • vpar2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vpar2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey asp : Yeah the content in the MLB and NHL sections are lacking, because the person who was supposed to write for them doesnt write very often. Im looking to fix that soon.

I suppose its a personal site in that I made it, but I intend for it to be far more than that.

The team pages i will link to once I get articles for them, but maybe I will take out the ones without links for now.

Thanks for your kind words.
  • Bender
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.

Good site, content looks good expect from the lack of pictures. As the saying goes about thousand words and that... and sport fans do love pictures. It also breaks up the page for those who don’t like large chunks of text and stray from articles.

I’m not sure about the forum leaving the site either but I’m picky about that.

Good job on the writing!
  • vpar2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vpar2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Bender:

Thanks for your feedback. I have fixed the issue of the forums opening in a new window, which could be annoying.

I have been adding pictures to the newer articles, but the older ones dont have any.

Thanks for your kind words, and I appreciate the help.
  • 3D-Orbit
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I only have one major problem with your site. You have the Chicago Bears ranked 26th instead of number one :x lol. Other than that I like your site. Everything is laid out nicely. Good Luck
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2

Post 3+ Months Ago

3D-Orbit wrote:
I only have one major problem with your site. You have the Chicago Bears ranked 26th instead of number one :x

I think that was a very fine rank for them......not number 1!!!
  • vpar2
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • vpar2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah the Bears...they could be higher later in the season, but not yet. Thanks for your comments.

Edit: I have changed the banner on my site and added an NFL Pick'em section. If anyone else wants to post a review I would appreciate it.
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, great idea with the pick'em! I think it suits your site great! I registered and selected my week one pics. GO SKINS! lol. Well as far as the banner goes it is good but I think could be better. Maybe making the balls more apperant would help but Im not sure about it. I'm impressed with the pick'em tho!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers