• Byzantium
  • Loc: London

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I would welcome your comments and insights re
http://www.matiklarweinart.com/

I am aware of a problem accessing from ie for mac, which I have raised at
http://www.ozzu.com/sutra234422.html#234422

Site is image heavy - so particularly welcome comments from anyone with experience running something similar.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

that's not really a image heavy site. It's cool and loads ok for me. Very nice art. Oh and i like your menu, very simple and easy to use.
  • ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

It always strikes me about artists websites, that they are to proffesional and bleak. I would suggest some very flashy Flash site that awes the viewer into buying his art :) . The user does not need to navigate the site with amazing ease, he/she just needs to be bombarded with the art of this person. I like the coded mouseover navbar, maybe some text saying navigation like the gallery on the opposite side. I always love flash, and all my sites would be flash if i was as expert with it as some people are (im working on it) I suggest more thumbnail artwork on the right moving and a simple stop on mouse over effect. Over all, a good simple site. But maybe too simple.
  • Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like it. It's a very clean and easy to navigate layout.

I really like the interactive navigation system too.

There is a hard edge between the image at the top and the black background. (On the left of the image) It's not really noticable, but it would be a little nicer looking if it was blended.
  • dispector
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • dispector

Post 3+ Months Ago

instead of the banner just being those middle images on a black background, change the black to some of the art of this fellow with tis opacity turned down. the left side looks a little harsh (i didnt notice the above post, so i agree with you, preson who posted above me)
  • Byzantium
  • Student
  • Student
  • Byzantium

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the replies - keep em coming!

I did try blending the left image on the banner but the image stood out more and seemed more striking with the stark contrast to black...

Mainly I want to respond to Ace's comments:
Quote:
It always strikes me about artists websites, that they are to proffesional and bleak. I would suggest some very flashy Flash site that awes the viewer into buying his art . The user does not need to navigate the site with amazing ease, he/she just needs to be bombarded with the art of this person. I like the coded mouseover navbar, maybe some text saying navigation like the gallery on the opposite side. I always love flash, and all my sites would be flash if i was as expert with it as some people are (im working on it) I suggest more thumbnail artwork on the right moving and a simple stop on mouse over effect. Over all, a good simple site. But maybe too simple.

...because they are so far from my own view: I hate flash. If a site has a flash intro half the time I will flip away from it - and flash sites - mostly the navigation doesn't work or its unclear and you don't know if there is anything interesting on the site - or how to get to it if there is. When I go to a site I want to be able to easily find my way around it and to find if there is anything of interest (to me) on it. If I get bombarded with something not of my choosing then I just see that as an arrogant conceit on the part of whoever put the site together - and go somewhere else.

That sounds like I'm trying to diss Ace - but I don't mean it that way - it's just surprising how extremely different different people's views are (whatever you do, some people will love it, some people will hate it, and most will think it's pretty average...)

I think there is a division between the arty creative types that like flash and like to wander in the forest and be surprised by something new and those dull folk like me that like to stick to the roads and read the signposts!
  • I3LinD_4RcheR
  • Born
  • Born
  • I3LinD_4RcheR

Post 3+ Months Ago

its loadin real quick here.....but....
for title i suggest use navigation text eg:
SiteName>>Gallary1>>Image2 ..etc,
for ur viewrs must know where they acutally are
thats it....the site looks gr8
  • t3chl33t
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree that the website has a nice look and feel to it. My only advice would be to exercise blending a little more than you have in this site. Other than that, I like your work.
  • biggy199
  • biggy199

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like this nice simple and straight forward
I disagree with putting flash on a site like this after all why detract from such stunning images (your not selling flash)

The site takes a back seat to the art which is exactly what this site should do.

When the last time you walked into a gallery and the walls was were more interesting than the paintings.

Visually stunning.

Craig
  • Byzantium
  • Student
  • Student
  • Byzantium

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Craig - much appreciated

Quote:
Visually stunning

That's what I thought (about the art) which is kind of how I got into doing the site.

I knew I just needed to hang it on the wall for it to look good...
  • t3chl33t
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

True Craig but don't you think that the design of a website can also be examined as a forefront of the owner? One that, in a sense, is the representative of his work? I mean, if you were to use the same analogy you used about the walls being visually stunning and instead replace it with something that fits the scenario a bit better such as the building the art is being shown in. If the art show was held in some lame, junky, rat infested building (not making a comparison to your site by any means) would it not give a bad impression of the artist? Anyways, the site is nice but I disagree with Craig's idea that it can be boring because the art is what viewers are there to see. The truth is I don't want to look at the art if the website doesn't embrace the work. That's just my opinion.

Your work is very stunning and I agree that your a very good artist. I think your website should match the skills of your work. Hope that brings forth a different view, after all, I am a viewer and if I feel this way about the site, others might as well.
  • biggy199
  • biggy199

Post 3+ Months Ago

It’s a point!

But I would have thought that the people who would visit such a site would purely be interested in the art, what’s on the canvas not what surrounds it.
There is a distinct difference between website design and the type of art displayed on this site.

We will agree to disagree!
Different strokes for different folks (excuse the pun)
  • t3chl33t
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol, you have a point too. I guess either way it is up to the artist ;p
  • Byzantium
  • Student
  • Student
  • Byzantium

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks t3chl33t - I get your viewpoint much more clearly now, although strangely enough I think the idea of having an art exhibition in a junky rat infested building (say a derelict warehouse) is actually rather a good idea! It would make it more accessible, grungy, and street.

I can see from your pic that you have a strong sense of style and I (quite honestly) do not. I am not the artist (who died a couple of years back) and, sadly I never met him - but I do have a love of his work. This is only the second site I have done and it has been a steep learning curve for me. I may try and incorporate some more sylish presentation in the future - when I figure out how to do it! - but I am wary of that arty multimedia experience that some sites try to present - because most of the time it doesn't work - and not everyone that comes to the site wants (or has the time for) an experience...

I think the family of the artist (for whom I did the site) lean towards your viewpoint though - so you may yet see some changes...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers