SITE REVIEW: The Matrix

• cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

After working in php for sometime i recoded my site which was previously in asp. Every thing on the site is 100% from scratch even the forum, poll, etc. I wanted to wait after it was 100% done to submit it here for review but then i decided to submit it now and get some comments and suggestions, which I would gratefully accept.

Located at: The Matrix (http://www.dematrix.net)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Nato
  • Born
  • Born
  • Nato
  • Loc: Idaho

Post 3+ Months Ago

The first thing that hit me when I viewed the site was the colors. I think they are pretty good until you get to the neon blue which in my opinion is distasteful. You might try to throw some colors in there that to break up the blue color monotony that you currently have. You have an underwater effect going. If thats what you want though, then you have it.

I also noticed that your links in your right navigation menu hover to black. you might consider changing that to a brighter color instead of a darker color like an orange or yellow.

It also took me a while to figure out what the site was about, in fact I was utterly confused for a minute or two until I went to the about section. The description there isn't real good, but I got the jist.

I do really like the curves and dimensions to your site however, so I think just a little brushing up on the colors and descriptions would make the site that much better.

Hope I'm not being too harsh :wink: ? It's really done quite well.
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

no you are not being harsh in fact i think that you gave some very constructive comments. i have been looking at the blue part because it doesn't really fit into the theme. concerning what the site is about i had a little message at the top of the news but then i thought that it was really redundant for people to be viewing the same welcome message all the time so i removed it, however i will put it back. so i think that you gave some very good suggestions and i agree with them. thank you very much.

i will also work on the about pages and so on. the truth is that i wrote those things very fast just to get some content up since i changed my interface. in the future what i will do is to create and use a template system that will allow me to effectively change the interface easily.
  • Nato
  • Born
  • Born
  • Nato
  • Loc: Idaho

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know, you don't even necessarily need to put a description on the first page. I clever slogan or something might do the trick, just make it descriptive. If your worried about redundance you might go this route.

I figured the about page would be improved as it seemed half implemented, so I think your on the right track. Just keep gnawing on it.
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea i think the slogan is a good idea. the interesting thing is that my header was flash before and it had some informative messages. What i will do i to put a small flash box to the right of the header where the colour of the header is solid.
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx
  • xBLEEDINGxMETALx

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that looks good, BUT... u could use a little more colors than what you have.. :roll:
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really good clear design and mouse overs.

Try this:

@ Left navigation options as bold
@ Topic box titls as bold
@ Change the neon Blue to #2396A6 or #79A2BD
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

This site looks nice but I felt it was a bit disjointed and lacked consistancy. The bright blue on the front page is a bit distasteful, but more significantly - the entire page outside the blue fades away into the background. If you are going to have a dark site keep it all dark other than the text. It's also bizare because the rest of the site is done without the bright blue....

That and the green hover colour on the links seems a bit strange because you haven't used it anywhere else.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is a very clean layout. The 'green' roll over effects is a little weird and doesnt go with the layout. The title glow is a little off adn doesnt match the layout either. But other than that, I like the site.
  • smith_zach89
  • Student
  • Student
  • smith_zach89
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overall you've got a good layout, but could improve on a few minor details. The biggest thing that hit me was the "window" bars in the center of the page. Why not have them match the rest of the bars on the site? They are very bright, and fairly hard on the eyes. They also take away from the rest of the site and focus attention on it, which isn't always a good thing.
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i changed the news bar title to a gradient (i'm not sure if i really like the way it fits in the site). sorry about the titles that have to be written on the title bars (i have to put that in). i changed the mouseover colour in the menu. the title bars don't look bright on my monitor (don't know if its the brightness/contrast) sorry about that smith_zach89. the comments are very helpful.
  • Neo_Matrix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is this PHPNuke ???
Design is good, but site is under construction i guess???
Text "Next" on the bottom of page is default font, this is propably bug, just fix it up, and try to add little white colour...

Poz.
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Neo_Matrix you are the second person to ask me if that site is phpnuke. the answer is no. i designed everything from scratch and it is still under construction. by the way what influenced you to think that it had some resemblance to phpnuke. I have to replace the next (text) link with a button (image) link. once i get the time to do some more work in photoshop everything will be fine-tuned.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol it is a nice site tho
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

i got page not found :(
  • Black_Legon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Black_Legon
  • Loc: Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't have any problem loading the page :)

I nice site.... But i don't like the neon glow bleu links... Thats the only thing :)

Good Job
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Miss_Bee wrote:
i got page not found :(

sorry, whenever that happens it is when the server is restarted. usually you would get that error for about a minute.

Black_Legon wrote:
.... But i don't like the neon glow bleu links... Thats the only thing

i am not sure exactly which links you are talking about.... is it those like the one under the 'vote' button in the poll?. anyway the colour scheme for the links that i will be using is that of the link found under the login button on the main page.
  • Black_Legon
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Black_Legon
  • Loc: Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

the link under the vote button is ok... But at the bottom of your page you have the next link... that kind of neon bleu links am i talking about :)
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh those links, sorry about that. i have to change the next link to a button. alternatively i will use the "<< page#, page#, >>" format but the colour will change anyway.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

very nice work, nice green gradients, bla bla

good stuff 8)
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL I thought that I would be getting something about the movie "The Matrix" but I'm obviously wrong lol

*drool* Love the layout. However, the header where it says "The Matrix" looks a little lo-quality to me because of the blur/softening. Other than that, I think the site is nice.
  • Tomo
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like the site But i think it needs some bright colours to act as a vocal point to help define something maybe?
  • lanacode
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • lanacode

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
It would be nice to see a few different colours, instead of the blue that is always on there. Maybe use some white with the design. That would give it a nice effect.
  • Fex
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOW, that its really nice, the different shades of green and the mouse overs are wicked. I can't find anything to critisize right now....

Oh one thing, when I go to post a new Thread, it just goes to a blank page with nothing to type in?
And you should make a links a different colour from the text, like maybe just a view shades lighter or something. OTher wise good job.
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey everyone since the last time i posted this website i have made alot of changes (still not finished as yet). Anyway what do you all think about the website now http://www.dematrix.net
  • PriceComparison
  • Born
  • Born
  • PriceComparison

Post 3+ Months Ago

Too dim...
Please turn up the light a little.

Many things not working like chat... etc..

I like the games a lot....

Just my two cents don't take it personaly....

Andrew AT PriceComparison.com
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

"many things" not working. i would like to know what the others are cuz i think that the only thing that i don't have on in the chat, and i have a message on the page saying exactly what is taking place.

anyway thanks for the comments

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers