SITE REVIEW: The Net Reviews Site

• ppetrov76
  • ppetrov76

Post 3+ Months Ago

Last but not least I would like to ask the community to have a look at my site http://www.netreviewssite.com and tell me what you guys think - yes you do not have to mention that I am infringing copyrights - I know that already - but there are quite a few technical improvements which do not exist in the original invention at Xom Reviews so it's not all just a pointblank-copycat thing. I hand coded the whole site in PHP from ground up because the original site is written in ASP and I did not have any of the original source code for reference so I just looked at the functionality of the original site and coded it by hand in PHP - eventually after a month and a half of coding here and there I managed to replicate and improve the whole system, eventually I will step away from the original design but that just might take some time becase my time is somewhat limited at the moment :)

Cheers,

Pete
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Pete,
Since you are looking to re-design do you want feedback on the design and layout? Or were you just looking for technical feedback?
  • ppetrov76
  • ppetrov76

Post 3+ Months Ago

At this moment particularly technical, things glitches I might have missed, or suggestions for features or functionality I could/should ad or SEO tips I may not know and havent implemented - I know only of two technical issues right now:

1: The Character Encoding / Translation is still not fully developed - supports so far only UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1
2: User Registration Form I could not be bothered yet to do the required field validations

So yeah and of course design wise would be great too but god knows when I'll actually get around to implement that fully :( but basically the template is split up in three php files header, footer and the content section (which is the only one that changes and header and footer are attached via include_once and most of the template is controlled via the CSS, very few image elements are used - another improvement I think would be if I could just "download" the thumbnails from thumbshots.org to my server and display them from my local server rather than every time someone views my site it relies on thumbshots.org to be up and functioning (which is not always the case) properly else it looks pretty crappy, similar issue is with the pagerank checking script :(
  • conbuom007
  • Born
  • Born
  • conbuom007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank so much, very useful !
  • ppetrov76
  • ppetrov76

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, which part of what I said in my last post is "very useful"?
  • kbdavis07
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: West Virgina

Post 3+ Months Ago

Move the Google ads to the very top.

Have a outside border covering the entire page (My personal preference)

Have some kind of a statement on top explaining briefly what your website is about?

Have one search box not two.

Have your description

"The Net Reviews Site is a website that lets users just like you to write their own reviews about websites they have visited. "

On the Top under your website name.

Add an about webpage

Add an Contact webpage

Hope this can help :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers