•  
    Rubbish!

SITE REVIEW: The Purple Cow

• thepurplecow
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.purple-cow.net

I'd like any suggestions of how to improve the site in any way. I don't mind if people comment on the websites shown (such as Squares And Pixels.com)

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Saint Joseph, MO

Post 3+ Months Ago

needs alot ofwork. what is it though? my guess would be a link exchange. graphics are pretty bad. links seem to be just out there. could be organized. overall 4/10
  • Angelo Dias
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Angelo Dias
  • Loc: Brasil

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi netmaster !
You start smart ! " Purple cow " is a title that splash curiosity ! With this title your page will appear at first row in search engines ! Good !
Try making webdesign as an art not only to reach some litle money, this will come later !
Be carefull with your meta tags they look as spam ! Google donĀ“t like things like that !
Gon on ! If need help , post to me here !
Angelo !
  • thepurplecow
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello again,

Thanks for the feedback. I've now tried to take some of your suggestions (especially from you, Netmaster), and make the site more organized and understandable. I'm still working on it but I hope the changes improve the site as a whole.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get a new design. There are tons of free ones, or you can do a better job making one. If you're going to use yours you need to work on consistancy and symetry. Your design is random and appears unorganized.

I notice your first bit of main writing starts with a lowercase letter. Not only is it the start of a sentence, it's also your name. You use The Purple Cow in the browser title, the purple cow in your page title, and thepurplecow there. Choose one!

Your introduction is more an advertising gimmick than anything. It doesn't tell me what kinds of things you offer, just that they give me value for my money. That kind of thing doesn't leave me curious, it basically says "We offer a bunch of great stuff and we won't tell you what it is or where to find it just click some of the links" A link to the products section would be the minimum I woudl expect.

The purple button needs to go somewhere better. Where it is it acts as a fourth title. Maybe put it below the cow on the left. And there's a broken picture at the bottom of the page you should fix.

Ok I am going to the products section. Hmm this looks like it's just a bunch of links to other sites. Nope no products. (A standard person would have long since left by now)

Special offers. Ok Ebooks might be neat but is not for me. Nothing else?

Partners. Ok now the layout is gone and theres only one link here?

Back Button. Contact. A nice golden subtitle bigger than the main title. Whatever is one word. It should be 'form below' not 'below form'. Unless its a bellowing form?

'we'll get back to you'? Who else is there? I know you want to give the impression of a big site but don't bother. Most people like small sites more anyways, as long as they do their job.

Ok. It's a bit long but I figured it wouldn't be wasted because you're so eager for advice.
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

ots ok, the layout isnt anything special and you have used the default link style... nothing much good about it either...
  • NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Erie, PA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

JAVA, just for ads? Are you kidding? It added like 7 seconds to my load time becuase of the slow CPU on this machine. The animated text is highly amature, I would recommend getting rid of it (I'm still trying to talk a client into this for one of the sites I'm working on right now - animated text... ugh!).

Nu
  • thepurplecow
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I've had a crack at designing a new site. Please tell me what you think of it.

Thanks!

http://www.purple-cow.net/index1.htm
  • NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Erie, PA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Getting a 404 page not found. I'd almost say it's an improvement. ;) just kidding. Can't wait to see the redesign.

Nu
  • thepurplecow
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry about that!

Quote:
Getting a 404 page not found. I'd almost say it's an improvement. Wink
hey!!!

Anyway, the site is done now and it will work. You got the error as I hadn't uploaded the index.htm file (I deleted the original one while working on the site).

Hope you like the new design, all comments are appreciated.

Thanks.
  • PoorcH-Richard
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • PoorcH-Richard

Post 3+ Months Ago

For some reason the site gives the impression of being very childish asn somewhat basic.

Try and get a consistent design going with a bit more content. As Azoundria said, there are loads of Free Templates out there. Use one and edit it as you see fit.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers