SITE REVIEW: The Sun (My Bands Flash Website)

• bdog01
  • bdog01

Post 3+ Months Ago

please review my site. im an a complete newbie, sort of. i learned flash back when it was flash 3. i just got flash mx 2004 3 weeks ago. i also learned a bit of html, css and php to create this site.

http://www.thesunband.com/pre-test/v1/

as far as the design goes i wanted it to look the a bizarre broken computer flash site from the 80's.

the whole point is that it is dynamic. u dont have to use flash to update it. it reads a html news and live shows file that can have embedded pictures.

i hope it is easy to navigate. someone wants to find out about our band all they have to do is goto this site and the can hear and see what we sound/look like without clicking on anything. the last three (info, store, empty) sections arent up yet.
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

wonderful link please fix it...... I go to the main page and then nowhere from there....
  • bdog01
  • bdog01

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm...works fine for me...click the link in the top of the window if the site doesnt pop open..you may have pop-ups blocked...
  • SycomCOmp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

THANKYOU ZONE ALARM! yet again another web site that doesnt open for me due to my pop up blocker... I would fix this because who knows if someone with the yahoo pop up blocker can't access the page.... I know one for Net-Zero also has one... You'll lose more hits this way. I love my pop up blocker and will never turn it off :D
  • bdog01
  • bdog01

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm...ive tested this site in ie 6 with the google pop up blocker and in safari on os x with pop up blocker. the window doesnt pop up automatically but all you have to do is click the Click to Launch Site button and then it works. Are you saying that your pop up blocker doesnt allow the Click to Launch Site link to work? What pop up blocker are you using?
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a website like that, when it pops up. It is now the time to avoid making these pop up websites. Many users will not be able to view it. It's better to stick to good old fashioned same window website.
  • anothergeek
  • Born
  • Born
  • anothergeek

Post 3+ Months Ago

its got too many ads try cutting that down
  • Sumen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Rochester or Albany, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like it.
But...the loading was horrible.
I have cable and the wait was too long.
normally i would've just closed it before it got even halfway.
The pink background is too neon pinkish, distracting...really contrasts..
and some of the text is hard to read when its ontop of those distorted like images.
Beyond that ...its nice and original.
course it might help to know the band better :)
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'll be totally honest i don't really like the site too much for reason being
1 takes long to load...dial up would die.
2 don't like the nav..i think u could have used better fonts there and throughout the whole site.
3 i see the same bg in the site as in the main page so i bored of that already but it's good it changes as u go through.

However, the music ain't bad at all. Are you guys rookies? If so, not bad. if not, never heard of yall. i dig the music tho. it's not bad at all.
  • tony
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tony

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi
1. quite long to download - even with broadband.
2. i like the way the pics spring up.
3. at start during loading: OFFICIAL not OFIICIAL. unless it’s deliberate ;-)

cheers,
tony
  • _sevenone
  • _sevenone

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hate when I go to a website and it resizes my browser. Normally I immediately close the offending site. Also on your splash page...why not make the link to your main page the image of you guys, or just something bigger than the little text link up top. The nav is kinda cool, but there were some areas of text on certain pages that I couldn't read because of the picture behind it. Maybe lower the opacity of those pics so you can read the text.
  • bdog01
  • bdog01

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for all the great suggestions. im going to be working on the site some more and will post when ive made these corrections. im going to fix the fonts that r hard to read. and completely redo the music section.

as far as loading ive checked other contemporaries bands sites that are this flash heavy and most of them load at least 1 meg of stuff before the site launches. my site loads under 1 meg. im wondering if its the way im doing it that makes it slow. the way i do it is i read the desired directories on my server with php and put the filenames with paths in a array. then i use the XML load function to load the html and the movieclip loader to load jpeg and swf's. any better ideas?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers