SITE REVIEW: thesouthband.com

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The South is an alternative country (alt-country) band from Lexington and Columbia, South Carolina. I do a lot of work with the band for photos, web-work, and other media.

The mark-up isn't validatible, but it wasn't intended to be. ;) It should, however, display properly in all browsers.

If you like an alternative country flavor, be sure to check out the two MP3s on their site.

http://thesouthband.com/

Thanks for looking!
  • craigk
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: New Mexico

Post 3+ Months Ago

Love the big picture on the main screen. The images below the songs are so small it is impossible to tell what they are. On the contact page, for the email addresses, you could make them all the same (make yours and Chris's like Palmetto).
  • Irony
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Cullman, AL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I LIKE IT.. IT HAS EVERYTHING A BAND WEBSITE NEEDS NOT TO MUCH.... JUST RIGHT.. WAY BETTER THEN MINE.. BUT REALLY GOOD JOB
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

wow I cant fault it. I really like it, the colours - the images - the info. it all ties in nicely. well done!!!
  • scyzoryk
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • scyzoryk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks great and visually appealing. Good use of the colors, border, and adding strong colour by neutral ones (the background).

If you were to be picky, you could resize the images for "Music" and "Images" and "Home", as they are barely legible and I had to squint to read them. Also if you expanded the little image thumbs by a factor of two it would be more appealing. Thumbs are created so that you could preview a big picture in a small area, yet it's a bit too small to even know what the picture is about.

Hope that helped! Keep up the good work. 8)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you so much people.

scyzoryk: I'll be making a second pass eventually. Right now I'm working on skinning a phpBB to fit with the site. I agree, that script font takes a little too much concentration to read.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have to say many people forget that "its cool" isn't always a valid reason for doing things on a website. However, you have managed to create cool photography and typography that fits extremely well with the music style you are portraying. By the way the feet shots in the gallery are a very unique way of implying person and location good job.

Overall I'd have to agree that the site could be a little bigger. It looked really little on my cinema display at high resolution. Also you have so much great photography that it might be nice to change the header image for each section of the site for a little diversity.

my biggest problem with the site is kind of nit-picky. Whenever I see a site that I think is well done I try to find a link to the designer and visit their own personal site. Well I found a link to your site (end of your email address) but
*sighs* there was no site for me to see...

I'm sure its a time issue and I can't really talk since my site is in about the same state but I'd love to see some of your other work and I'm sure others would too.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're absolutetly right graphixboy! If I had a dime for every site I started and never finished....welll...I'd hire someone to make me a site. XD

Thanks for your time and truly good advice!
  • ForwardGraphics
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it's great. Visually, the warm tones are a great backdrop for the photography and enhance the "Country Flavor". I would make the thumbnail images a bit larger (of course I just hit 40 and am going blind) :)
Very nice site......
  • gsgfx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • gsgfx
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everything is great! The color scheme, images and overall feel of the site ties very well and blends seamlessly with the "Country Feel" you tried to achieve....very well done. I only have one issue, though and that is that the "Music" and "Images" header is too faint and subtle which makes it hard to read. If you did this in Photoshop, change the text style to 'Strong'. Also, make the scrollbars a bit more definitive. Very well done...keep up the awesome job!!!

P.S. - I LOVE the intricate border that surrounds the entire layout...very cool!
  • aimillie
  • aimillie
  • Loc: Largo, FL - USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I loved the site, everything seem so well coordinated and falling perfectly into place.
My only critic would be about the small font, I had a hard time reading... and maybe a contact form instead of the email link?
Overall you did a great job, it's a stunning web site! :?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you very much for the kind words folks!
  • Captain-Nick
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Lincolnshire, UK.

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site looks great. I especially like the part on the right holding links to recordings and images, which remains there the whole time, because the important parts are available regardless of what other parts are being viewed (if that makes sence).

Fonts and colours look great.

I like the border around the contents. Having it within a border excludes it from the adds at the bottom of the pages.

Only think to critisize is the small images and writing on the right, which has already been mentioned.

Overall, looks great.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you, Captain-Nick!
  • YORDANOVassil
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice typo, well styled layout, it just made me listen them and thats the aim of the site!
  • derrick
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • derrick
  • Loc: The other side of the cross fader

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool site, great pics, good simple layout, the only minor thing I noticed besides the small thumbnails, is that the "frame" moves just a bit when clicking to another page of the site, but it's so minor I don't think any of your guests will notice or care either way...
  • ZiNNiZ
  • ZiNNiZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site, good pics, nice layout, i'll give a 10/10;)
  • suss
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Mainly Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with all above, its just here on my LT, 1024*768 (firefox) that the headers and the miniature imagelings are a wee bit too small.. I had to lean to the screen (am abt 50 cm away otherwise) to see it..... But these are minor stuff... I like it .. :D
  • allshowcivic
  • allshowcivic
  • Loc: Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

How in the world did you get that color in the title pic? Graphics are great. The site looks very well.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers