• No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

its not bad. easy on the dial up too. but i failed to see the purpose of the site.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bloody geocities and they're ads :wink: . The site is good, but plain and borderline pointless. Seems like more of a blog site. Your menu options are vague and staring at your code, it eeks me when right click is disabled (whats the point?) and your html needs some work (you didnt even close off your <body> tag). I'm also not a fan on using the javascipt window.status to hide link url's, for all I know you could be sending me to some hacker site. Seems like a start up project, not all together bad, its a lot better than the sites I made when I started. Your site really doesnt have an "about" or what purpose it serves to viewers across the globe. Blogger sites are definitely hot right now, so if thats what you're aiming for, keep at it.
  • the_Maven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • the_Maven

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the input there. I have given this some thought, and it is my intention for this to be a sort of news blog site, directed towards younger americans, particularly teenagers.
im sure you will agree with me on this, but they spend entirely too much time worrying about who they are going to hang out with this weekend or why bobby broke up with his girlfriend at the prom.
they need to open their eyes and see that there is much more to life than this.
i would like to collect news stories and other stories that would interest them. it is my theory that being blunt with a dry sense of humor would keep their attention. that is what i am trying for. i would appreciate any tips on this, or if im approaching this the right way.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like you're trying to work a miracle! Teens will be teens and each one has their own flavor. So if you're goal is to have a "hang-out" for teens, you're going to need an abundance of sections, ranging from sports, entertainment, music to poetry, art, technology and countless other topics. Its hard business trying to please the masses of teens with just one site, unless of course you're mtv. I get what you're trying to do, its quite noble and a good idea, but I just do know if it'll go as far as you want it to.
  • the_Maven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • the_Maven

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see where you are coming from. I guess my goal, however noble it is, is quite difficult for me, especially since I attend college at the moment. I guess I could just limit this to target people who want to get the news highlights without scanning the cluttered news web sites. That sounds like a easier goal to meet to me. Thanks for your eye opener there.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

you wont like what i have to say "the_maven"...

As daremedy already stated, the site wont work. The reason for this is, 1. almost impossible, 2. the fact you havn't bought a domain name and some reasonable space means you wont be able to expand to the size it will eventually need to be, 3. from reading the main page, i cannot see how that is supposed to stop teens worrying about life, if anything its going to make some feel worse as you have pointed out on things negatively and unfairly.

If you want to have a successful site, i would probably suggest adding a better colour scheme as the black and maroon colours just looks horrible. On "the mission" page you have noted for people to "x-mail" you so they can offer a "piece of their mind"...this is good, only if you did eventually decide to pay for space and a proper domain name and you learned a bit more of HTML you would be able to create your own form so visitors/members could leave their view on a box you have provided as well as other addtional information. This Form you would be able to create should also allow the inputed information to add automatically without the use of your time.

I am being harsh and slightly hipocritical (sp?), but you did ask for views.

I would prioritise getting a proper domain name and move away from geocities.
  • the_Maven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • the_Maven

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with both of you that the site won't work as an attention grabber for teens. I suggested it could instead be a quick fix for news. In regards to your commenting that I am presenting the stores unfairly, I am just offering my opinion after the point of the story.
I do know how to make forms, it's just since I have the basic geocities site, it won't allow me the access for CGI.
You are not being harsh ... you are being honest, and I appreciate that.
I do see my having my own domain as a big step in improving the site, and if I find a decent price range I will probably end up migrating to there. Thanks again for your opinion.
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I do know how to make forms, it's just since I have the basic geocities site, it won't allow me the access for CGI.
You are not being harsh ... you are being honest, and I appreciate that.

there are many ways to make a form. if you are really interested in feedback create a HTML form and have it email you the results as a text document.
and i didnt feel that your site presented stories unfairly. you have the right to your opinion and the right to express it. if someone doenst like it *cough* SB *cough* they dont have to read it. if you are looking to appeal to the audience that see's things the way you do, thats great. although i do see the need for a page that explains the purpose of the site and how that relates to the content. other than that just some HTML stuff needs fixin. i would try some other colors though. some things are a little hard to read.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

GSlinger wrote:
if someone doenst like it *cough* SB *cough* they dont have to read it.

:lol:

he asked for opinions, that is what i have given. As i said previously though, the colour has to change though, its dark and like i also said the maroon (or red) colour with the black just dosnt look good.
  • the_Maven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • the_Maven

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was looking into the <form action="mailto:" trick, and there was a site, I can't remember what the url is now, but there was a discussion about the problems that appear when using this method to send email. I might be wrong, but it is my understanding that it only works if the user has a mail client installed on their computer. Could someone please set me straight on this?

I will start experimenting with other color schemes for the sidebar.
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

you might be right about the mail client
ill look into it
  • the_Maven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • the_Maven

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey i changed the color scheme, please leave some feedback. Thank you so much.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

em, its a bit better. Trying to copy ozzu, huh? :lol:
  • the_Maven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • the_Maven

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not trying to copy ozzu. Ok so the colors are similar. But that is where the similarities end. Also I have no intention of turning my site into a forum.

Update: I changed the URL to something that is a little easier to remember. Thanks to everyone who gave their input.

A Silence Lost
  • soulseek3r
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • soulseek3r
  • Loc: Guyana

Post 3+ Months Ago

well...your design isn't all that but i must say your articles seem interesting on the main page. Read the first paragraph...not bad...did you write them?
  • the_Maven
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • the_Maven

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for the compliment. All of my sermons and comments on the news are my own opinions. Please tell all your friends about my site.
At this point I am more focused on the content of the site than the design factor.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

the_Maven wrote:
I am not trying to copy ozzu. Ok so the colors are similar. But that is where the similarities end. Also I have no intention of turning my site into a forum.[/url]

i was only joking :wink:
  • sycofi5h
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • sycofi5h
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is good i liket he different colors even thought they are a little bit copyied but not exactly
--sycofi5h
  • GSlinger
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the content. i am a lil drunk right now but i like it. and the colors... everything is up to u man. free countrey thi s america is!! the colors look good and the content is great. the review thread is not intended to criticise your content, just the code and look of the site, plus the feel it gives.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers