SITE REVIEW: Tolkien Pages

• barmybint
  • barmybint
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

:oops: Dear All,

This may well be the most BASIC site every to be seen on the forum! It has no fancy code in it whatsoever and is my very first site (I must say I quite enjoyed it!) It's actually for a college assignment so I'd really like some feedback on the following aspects:

Ease of use (navigation)
Layout
If it was entertaining\informative
I'd really like to know what browser you view it with!
Anything else - good or bad!

It's only a few linked pages - hardly any graphics - so please, please, please review!

I'll stop begging (and rambling) now and point you to

http://www.tolkienpages.com

Thanks Barmy x
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Québec

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, its simple, good-looking for the theme, the reading factor is good,
the only thing is that you need to fill it up, pretty boring.
It’s your first site so I give you 9/10, your site is typically a good web designer’s beginning,
and you seem to know what the minimal standard is, Great work! Keep it up. :wink:
  • barmybint
  • barmybint

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thankyou! Thankyou! I did warn you it was basic - heh!

Could you tell me what web browser you viewed it with?

Barmy x
  • Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Québec

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya! I forgot!!! I viewed it with Mozilla 1.6 @ 1280x1024 and on my second PC with Netscape 7.02 @ 1280x768
It’s all nice no matter where :)
  • barmybint
  • barmybint

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D YYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS! Woohoo! I may be 36 years old but that doesn't stop me doing a happy dance :bouncingsmile:

2 browsers and not an IE in sight - hurrah!

You've made my evening!

Barmy X
  • sjjs
  • Born
  • Born
  • sjjs

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok for a first time. Better than my first one anyway.

Not sure about pastel colours but that's just me.
  • _Leo_
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pretty good for a "first" site. Not much to say, I share Cool#9 thinking about it.

Hints for next sites:

1. Don't use GIF files, use PNG instead.
2. It may not be easy, but you should allways try to get high-quality images for the site. Specially for the ones you will use as design image.
3. Use tables in order to fix header position. (In some sections of the site, the horizontal line moves as the header changes its size)

Good work...

Oh, I've used Mozilla 1.6 in 1024x768 to browse the site, then tried it in the IE 6.0 (my secondary browser).
  • barmybint
  • barmybint

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Leo, I put some tables at the bottom to hold the links but didn't think about the top!

Barmy x
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even better: try to fix it without using tables. Don't use tables if you can avoid not to.
  • barmybint
  • barmybint

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks - why no tables? What else should I try?

Barmy x
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

No tables = less code = faster loading time. Try CSS. I'll look more at your site tommorrow and try to give you some ideas. But no matter what anyone else says, tables should be used as a last resort unless you're trying to make a highly complex layout. I recommend using a total of one table per page MAXIMUM. You can usually get by with that OR LESS!
  • SohoGuy
  • Born
  • Born
  • SohoGuy
  • Loc: Atlanta, Ga

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a HUGE Tolkien fan so I realy enjoyed reviewing this site :D.

Ease of use (navigation)- The first page is pretty much an entire nav bar. You might consider changing this and putting the same navbar throughout the whole site... As far as the first page you did an excellent job lining up the different page links atleast from my resoltuion.

Layout- You might want to throw some more graphics or information on your first page. This is the first thing someone sees when they visit your site, you have to get their attention!!!! You also might want to consider finding a different Golem graphic to use, the one you picked looks like it is low dpi, and is just poor quality.

If it was entertaining\informative- I realy like the contrast you did with the movie and cartoon pictures in The Characters section, this was well done.

I'd really like to know what browser you view it with!- I am using Netscape 7.1 @ 1024 x 768 resolution and the site fit fine.

Anything else - I can tell you put some time into this site, and this site is EXCELLENT for your first site, I hope you continue making sites :D
  • elcunto
  • elcunto

Post 3+ Months Ago

not bad
  • barmybint
  • barmybint

Post 3+ Months Ago

Soho Guy - thanks that was very kind of you :oops:

I've really enjoyed creating this site and I hope to start adding more content and jazzing it up in a few weeks (once I've got a vague clue how to do it!)

...watch this space...!

Barmy x
  • imagemoore
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • imagemoore
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D As a first site it is good. My first site was absolutely terrible.

The site is a good beginning, however in my personal opinion on websites is that Images make them what they are.

You could have a banner using elfish language and a dark rustic map feel.

Another interesting feel could be a map as the main page, with hot spots over the map leading to parts of the map.

Regards

Rich :lol:
  • barmybint
  • barmybint

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Rich,

It is a bit lacking in graphics (or anything interesting!) There is method to my madness though...this is for a college assignment and a future assignment is to jazz it up! So I thought I'd make it pretty plain to start with so that I have lots of scope for later! Now all I have to do is discover how the hell to do all the clever whizz-bang stuff that's been suggested :D

I have already changed the background and font colour (and added a counter - heh!) I like your idea of a M-E map as a clickable "site map" and I'll probably steal it and take all the glory! :twisted:

Thanks again!

Barmy x

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers