SITE REVIEW: Tomopia

• Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure If i am allowed to post a work in progress for a site review, but I thought it would be better to get peoples opinions on the site before I really spend a lot of time working on it.

I just have the basic looks, and the types of pages/content I will have on it.

My site is going to have 4 sections, one for art and CG, another for computers and tech related, one for games, and one for news and other random stuff that wouldn't fit in the other ones.

This is, like I said, a work in progress so I am open to almost anything and would really like to hear every little thing that is wrong or doesn't work etc.

http://s93539943.onlinehome.us/deadpenguin/

None of the links work, except the forums, and it would be nice to hear if my forums have the right categories for my type of site, or if I should make it smaller or bigger. (if you must post on them, guests can post in the general discussion, if you can't post as a guest, please tell me) Note: this is not a cheap ploy to get you to sign up, because I would actually rather you didn't at the moment, because my site is in pretty early development. (you can later when it's finished :wink: )

Like I said, I am open to pretty much anything.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

The first thing I absolutely must comment on is the background.

...GET RID OF IT!

I would recommend going into Photoshop and taking the eye-dropper tool and taking a color shade of blue to your liking from that pattern and use that one color as your background.

Background patterns absolutely chase the majority of people away, and judging by your links, its the people your trying to attract that will say to themselves "what was he/she thinking" before they go off to another site.

Other than that, perhaps bringing down the cell-padding around the tables wouldn't hurt.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are right about the background, it will be gone soon. :)

I'll play around with cell-padding, and see what looks best.

edit: changed the background to just a solid colour grey.. might change it later, but I'll see what people think.
  • s][ren
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Lehigh Valley

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whe you changed the backgroung I am assuming that you will change the banner? It seems very oddly placed because the backgroudn of the banner is purple, it sort of sticks out there at the top of the page
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

That top banner is kind of a temporary banner, I might change it so that the top part is as wide as the table, I don't like how it's shorter and those empty spaces on the right and left of he banner.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with the banner thing. I suggest you make something that blends with the background entirely in places.

The link colors are too dull in my flatscreen with high contrast. You may consider something brighter.

The middle table with the main contents has too wide borders. And the border size does not match with the left or right table. It is also wasting valuable spaces. Not everyone uses 1024 or 1280 screen resolution you know.

The page lacks elements to draw the eyes. If it is about photoshop graphics and design stuffs, some kool graphics would be appreciated.

That's all for now. Since it is very much a work in progress, I suppose there are a whole lot you have in your mind, still to implement. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers