SITE REVIEW: Tomorrows Designers

• g0l`
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd really like to hear your feedback on http://www.tomorrowsdesigners.com

I made the whole website by myself (coding and design), even the newsscript :s.

I hope you guys can give me some tips on how I can improve the layout of the website and the website in general.

ps. I know that that there is no need for the left menu, and I will delete it.

thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you are posting in the forum, the text box for the content is grey on grey and it is very hard to make out the letters. Perhaps change the text color to White or the same Green you have everywhere else!

I like the colors.....same I used on my site before I saw yours!!! LOL.
  • intrepid design
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

The menu shifts when you go to different pages (Netscape), i would fix this as its a simple error, but a rather damaging one. I like the colors though. I would try to add some more imagery too.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

the color scheme rawks!! its a unique scheme that you dont see too often. if you're planning on removing the left menu, do you plan on replacing it with an image? or just expand the other blurbs to fill out the page? i think it would look better if you just replace the menu with something creative, maybe site stats, # users registered, go crazy!

i found a big flaw in your forums, guests are allowed to post/reply, you will probably want to change the permissions so that only registered users can do those things. (i posted a bogus reply in the fact or opinion forum, you may want to delete it :roll: ). everything else seems up to par, great work.
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Theres still something plain about the site. I am not too crazy about the amount of green. The horizontal navigation doesn't seem to be spaced properly in between each word (could be just me). But I'm not sure that's it...regarding the plainness...I just can't put my finger on it...

The white space in between the vertical navigation and the main content is too much...unneccessary.

Still some tweaks to be made IMO, well done up to this point, however...your almost there.
  • g0l`
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys :)

I really appreciate your comments! I will try out the things you suggested.

oh and yes, I'll delete that post :lol:
  • zcorpan
  • Student
  • Student
  • zcorpan

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, you made the coding by yourself, eh? Even the image-swap JavaScript?

Wouldn't think so. It looks just like it's generated by DW, but you have moved the doctype to an incorrect place...

Not to flame the use of DW, but the markup is really bad - no matter wether or not you wrote the code by yourself.
  • g0l`
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did use dreamweaver for the basic html and that javascript, but I made the newsscript by myself, and all the php. I try only using dreamweaver as a help with the coding, but for things that would take me ages to do by hand, it's easier to use DW :)
  • jlknauff
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the colors but I'm not too crazy about your logo. One thing I would suggest is to use text navigation so that SE can crawl it better.
  • g0l`
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm I'll see about the logo.

I know, but a lot of people suggested to delete the text links, but I'll add them in the footer :)
  • delmea
  • Loc: West Yorkshire

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the colours, and the site looks clean and crisp. It will be nice when you have more tutorials available, but what you do have at the moment seems useful (nice touch).
Your really should only let registered users post replys in the forums as other wise you will not have complete control over it.
http://www.freesoftware4all.co.uk
  • ssBrian
  • ssBrian

Post 3+ Months Ago

the colors kind of jump out at me but other than that its a nice site, try making a more interesting header too :)
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks pretty good! Now one idea for the fact that some people are hating on the colors is to have multiple CSS docs (and/or PHP includes depending on how your code is generated) and allow users to switch between them. Basically, go into your site PSD and change the colors to something more subtle, like darker blue and a lighter grey, and resave the slices under a different name. Migrate all of the data to be totally non-style-specific. Then make the default stylesheet/PHP w/the green and then have a link to switch the style to the other stylesheet/PHP. Hopefully you have most of this done in CSS so you only have to switch stylesheets!

Good luck if you go for it!

PS: You use JS to switch stylesheets!
  • gardenstew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Malmö, Sweden

Post 3+ Months Ago

- Make the logo link back to the home page.

- In the forum when mousing over a thread link to get a preview of the text, you definitely need to shorten the amount of text displayed. If the thread contains a lot of text the popup preview keeps flickering.

- 'Forums' link in footer is broken

- Add ALT text to the menu images at the top

- Spelling mistake on the forum advantages page 'Takes less than a minute and is completely save' Should it be 'safe'?

Other than that it looks great. Hope this helps
  • g0l`
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks so much for your repleis guys. I'm going to do all these things you suggested!

Truce, I did save all in one css. I already thoguht of doing this, however it's a lot of work because the forum template needs to be converted too.
  • northjersey78-2
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • northjersey78-2
  • Loc: North Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

g0l` wrote:
I'd really like to hear your feedback on http://www.tomorrowsdesigners.com

I made the whole website by myself (coding and design), even the newsscript :s.

I hope you guys can give me some tips on how I can improve the layout of the website and the website in general.

ps. I know that that there is no need for the left menu, and I will delete it.

thanks!

Very cool color scheme - it's kind of slick and tech looking which i think is what you are going for.

In your forum - the dancing "No new Posts" graphic is a little annoying. I'm trying to check out the forum and all I see are 50 dancing icons.

Might want to come up with a new header graphic - lots of empty green space there.

But overall - pretty good. 8)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers