SITE REVIEW: Top 10 Charts

• whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,

I've been working on my site for about 8 months now and I'm looking for a bit of constructive critism / general feedback on it.

The address is http://www.top10charts.com , let me know what you think about the layout, ease of use, concept, feature suggestions & whatever you think.

Thanks,

whos_wee_dug?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm..

Navigation: I normally love those little pop-up boxes when you hover over links, but in my opinion, there's too many links to have those boxes popping up.

Concept: I love it. I've never seen a top 10 charts thing other than for music and movies. So it's very interesting.

Other: Er...on the top right where it says Retreive account, "retrieve" is misspelled. I like the layout. It's cute, and I dont know about for others, but for me, it's fast loading. It's good that you have basic info on the first page, as well as the top/recent charts.

Great site; keep it up!
  • whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Liquescence,

Thanks for the feedback on the site. I think you could well be right about the pop-up boxes but i need to consider what other way i'll display that information, and if i should display it on that page atall. I really liked those popups when i added them, but the novelty does wear off rather quickly with them.

"Retrieve Account", thanks, i'll fix that! 'I' before 'E' except after 'C'...

Thanks for the comments,

whos_wee_dug?
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

whos_wee_dug wrote:
'I' before 'E' except after 'C'...

Unless you are spelling weir, weird, caffeine, neibour, seize, either, height, foreign, leisure, conscience, counterfeit, forfeit, leisure, neither, science, species or sufficient - you gotta love that language of ours :lol:

The main comment I have is that when you click to view a list, you get an error message saying that you need to register, and the existing lists are pushed way out of the screen - it took me a long while to realise where they were, and I'm not the kind of person to sign up to anything unless there is some clear benefit for me.

Sorry -strike that, I just realised that the reason is that half of the page does not even appear in firefox. Not good, I'm afraid.

I was liking the way that the collapsable boxes default to expanded for those people who have javascript turned off. Its a nice touch that most javascripts ignore.

The site looks nice too, the general aesthetic is good. But it seems to kep on loading indefinately? Is there any reason for this - the whole page is displayed but that globe just keeps a-turning?
  • whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, i like your point on the eng language! I never was too good at english...

rtm223 wrote:
The main comment I have is that when you click to view a list, you get an error message saying that you need to register, and the existing lists are pushed way out of the screen - it took me a long while to realise where they were, and I'm not the kind of person to sign up to anything unless there is some clear benefit for me.

Thanks for that, i'll look at making the error messages alot smaller, they are a bit OTT at the moment i reckon.

rtm223 wrote:
But it seems to kep on loading indefinately? Is there any reason for this - the whole page is displayed but that globe just keeps a-turning?

There was a bug when i uploaded a new version of the flash file last night, it didn't upload correctly. It should be fixed now and i think this was causeing the problem.

Thanks for the comments, both +ive and -tive.

whos_wee_dug?
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry about those error messages. The reason was that the main section (for editing the lists) does not show up in firefox, which is my default browser. Had I been using IE, I would not have been so confused. It looks as though the script is designed to just not display anything if the user is not using MSIE.
  • whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, don't be sorry, i need some criticism so i can make it better. I'll fire up my Linux box tonight and see how it looks in Mozilla. I must admit I've narrow mindedly built the site for IE, i'll need to do some more testing with other browsers. I know that the site looks fine in Opera except the flash section freezes, which is useless!

Thanks for the info,

whos_wee_dug?
  • BinaryTox1n
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • BinaryTox1n
  • Loc: Deer Park, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the concept, and the information, but those information boxes, though cool, are too much, and get annoying.
To me, there are too many conflicting colors, the blue, green, and red, I would try to use more complimentary colors, or different shades of the same.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, theyre alot going on here, lots of Information/content.

The roll over Popup Information bar I guess has a purpose, and would be nice, but for me I dont like it that much, looks like it could become annoying after a while of hovering over it.
I like some of your content, but im not so much a fan of the white background, but I guess it also has a purpose, my overall rating would be a nice
7/10, and a good 7 on design also. Good work, keep it up. Hope it works out for you. ^.^
  • whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey thanks foxy, there is alot going on, but I have no choice because content is key to the site's success really! But i think it can be a bit overwhelming at first. I don't know about the java popup thingy, you're right its got a purpose but I could maybe do it in a more subtle way... I might make a box or 'screen' on part of the page and when you move your mouse over that the details are shown there instead.

I agree with you BinaryTox1n that their are too many colours, the blue and lime green is dazzling enough without bringing red into the equation!

Thanks for the input folks. Any more feedback would is greatly appriciated from anyone.

whos_wee_dug?
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice site. Cool to see something different as a topic. Otherwise, not much to say. Good job on it.
  • whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers for all the feedback guys. I'm currently working on a redesign just now that will take into account the feeback i've received. I'm also going to make it more cross-browser compatible, not everyone uses IE and now that i've got Firefox - i see why...

Cheers,

whos_wee_dug?
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I quite like yr website. Unique. :D
nice, neat, lasting look. Did you make the icons yourself?

I was never good with english too! haha.
even worse when I type....
  • whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for complimenting my site madmonk :P

To get good icons i use google image search to find the pictures that i need and then i scale them down in Fireworks. I'll then tweak the colours if i need to using FW again. The icons in the control panel (when you register) are created by me except 1 or 2 which are achieved using the way i described above.

As for english...Pah! I'm terrible! I have to proof read all my posts very carefully because the number of errors i make is ridculously bad.

Cheers,

whos_wee_dug?
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

that's what I do too!
search, fw, and use it.
and I have to proof read my posts too!
and my website needs an english check,as commented by sharkshark earlier on.

what a coincidence
Good luck to us man! :lol:
  • whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol true, true...good luck mate! Us illiterates will make it big time! :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers