SITE REVIEW: Top Local Pros

• TLP
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • TLP
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I have a 9 month old professional business directory that I would like to have reviewed. Although it was created for San Diego area consumers and business professionals, the site is open to anyone, from anywhere who can provide a service to the San Diego area.

It may be reviewed at http://www.toplocalpros.com and I should mention that it also has a sister site at http://www.toplocalclassifieds.com. I only mention the sister site because I think it adds to the overall uniqueness of the sites as I feel that one site compliments the other.

They used to link directly back to eachother but I am trying something new.

Thanks
  • dani190
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

i personally dislike your site at the moment, to make it better you could remove the yahoo symbole in the top right hand corner, also the sponsors strip on the right side is also very annoying to look at, if it is really necissary, try putting it on the bottem or even on the top , but make sure it is smaller.
  • Perad
  • Student
  • Student
  • Perad

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find it a bit bland to be honest. I agree that you should find a new place for the yahoo sign, its the only picture on your page and your eye goes straight to it.

I'm also not really over struck on the curvy blue line that goes around your site navigation.
  • NewEra
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • NewEra

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don't think the problem is in the Yahoo sign itself it's in the design
You need more graphical layout
not just blend colors i tables
also you need a graphical logo not just text
  • TLP
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • TLP
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you all for the feedback. I know my site is bland looking but I guess I was kind of going for the simplicity of the Craigslist design but with slight improvements. Since they currently make 10 million dollars a year at last count, I thought they had proven that simple is better.

As for the Yahoo logo, it is an intrical part of the sites offerings as it represents a built in professional networking group where people can sign up through Yahoo and advertise/network with other members of the group. When my membership reaches hundreds or thousands, this feature could essentially be a great tool for many applications for myself as well as the many members. For me, it's at the very least, a very effective mailing list that allows me to contact several members of the group with a single email. Very few sites take advantage of the Yahoo groups feature but it can be a very powerful marketing tool.

The fact that your eyes go right to the purple Yahoo button when you first hit the site is EXACTLY what I was looking for. The more members that I have in the group, the better it is for the other members and the better it is for me as the site owner. This type of memberhip benefit could really snowball into something huge for the sites popularity. The site offers two benefits: 1. The ability to advertise your business for free. 2. The option to join a free networking community to tell several other members about your products and services...All on one site!

Very few people have taken advantage of this technique but I didn't want to let this great opportunity pass me by.

:D
  • digit_info
  • digit_info

Post 3+ Months Ago

Need nice template or header. May be flash.
  • kingrye
  • kingrye

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there more you can do with this site than one large table?
I'd suggest you just have the headings and when you mouse over them the links pop down. This would make your table much smaller and the page less cluttered.
This site also could use some graphics there are none on it.
  • duke_m
  • Born
  • Born
  • duke_m
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the site is straight forward and not very good looking. The colors are basic and the links are not that cool. I believe that there should be no horizontal bars in the home page and there are so that's another problem.
  • javi
  • javi

Post 3+ Months Ago

While you dont change t an more graphical enviroment I suggest you to play with the hyperlinks styles.

All links from diferent sections should have diferent style, and different background. Styling the central links table will add some strength to the page too.

The results page should be improved too, but is not so important as principal.
  • Riks
  • Riks

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi:
The structure of the site is not bad at all: a header, a left menu, a footer and navigation around all site. OK

But I missed a better design:
- The round edges are not smoth.
- The HTML tables have borders, which looks like an old site.
- You could change the link colors instead using browser defaults.
- Maybe you can add a better header.
- If I click on "What is TLP?" appears a popup with Times New Roman font, which looks so bad.

Regards.
  • pspdownloads
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • pspdownloads

Post 3+ Months Ago

just as you have provided the number of listings in each category, consider to show it for each subcategory.
try to have a nice template.
  • IMMORTAL
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you need a logo or something graphical to represent the site.

It kind of reminds me of those webpages you get when you access a parked domain.

Here's something 1 step ahead: http://www.webstersonline.com
Here's something 2 or more steps ahead: http://www.yellowpages.ca (This is the one I go to when I need to find business/professional info)

Keep at it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers