SITE REVIEW: Toxic-Penguin.com

• Mephistox
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Mephistox

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh, fill out the subject for me... pretty handy, eh?

Right, well my site really is targeted to a small group of people, mainly those that go to my highschool or live in my area of NY.
That being so, there's not a whole lot of innovation going on at my site, but I do think it is pretty cool.

The name toxic-peguin is just a joke at a guy I know, who runs a similar site, called ironhusky.

The main page has an image rotator like google's, which will switch images based on the month of the year AND the music being played. (I'm pretty proud of what I did there.)
The site itself has a few areas, the first being the notes section. This is the area that is most used, since it contains notes, tests, and reviews available for download by people who are too lazy to take their own, or just need a study guide.
The next area is the blog, which is really not used at all, and updated infrequently because I hate blogs. Why do I have one then? No reason.
The last section is the Cartoons area, which features a bunch of flash cartoons done by one of my friends. They're not that good, but he's getting better. There are also some voice clips that a couple of friends asked me to upload. All are really stupid, but some are kind of funny.

I'm currently making an extras section, that will feature clips of movies that I see on the internet, or generally random stuff - I'm still working on it.
I also made custom error messages, if you want, you can see them all at toxic-penguin.com/errors/ . The pages that end in .php are the ones you want.

This went on longer then I expected so I'll keep this short. Go ahead and tell me what you think. Criticisms are welcome of course, thats why I'm here.
But just keep in mind that this site isn't really supposed to be fancy and isn't the kind of site that has visitors year-round. Its more of a season-based thing.

Here's the url again:
http://toxic-penguin.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• apsblackbelt2
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • apsblackbelt2
  • Loc: George Mason University

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really like this site. It has a cool welcome page as I call them, and then a nice crisp clean site. I didnt like scrolling right to see the rest of the content though :( but over-all very nice job.
  • gcpmusic
  • gcpmusic
  • Loc: Italy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I do like too the page, the only criticism I would have is about the fonts, too small for me. Also make sure that you have a proper license for playng other people music even if you are not selling it still are other right to rispect.

check the http://www.prs.co.uk or the society of your country.

Overall really clear design.

gC
  • LanaST
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like this site alot. It's very clean and easy to navigate.
Good job! :)
  • vasam
  • vasam

Post 3+ Months Ago

The site looks good. But I do not like the welcome page.
  • RUMcajZ
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, didnt have so much time to check it all. Ill say one thing: That picture at the top of Koala Toons is amazing, want to have something like this on the wall !

btw check your links: it is pointing to toons.html (not.php) when you are viewing any cartoon.

RUM
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Man, when I think of the state of the (non-existent outside of academia) web when I was in high school...

You've done a great job! I'll echo apsblackbelt2's complaint that the layout is definitely on the wide side of things. I love the homepage. More than just a splash page, it's cute and functional, and it breaks up the monotony of a typical CMS header + three-column layout.

I would suggest that the main links on your site's nav menu mimic those on your welcome page to minimise confusion about link names. However, since your target audience is so small, people will most likely find their favourite areas quickly and easily enough, so perhaps this is not really a concern for you.

Death has a cameo in the Easter Bunny toon. Now that's funny. =] And I don't think you can really go wrong with Jose Feliciano.
  • Mephistox
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Mephistox

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you mean its wide and you had to scroll? Which part of the site?

I fixed the toon links and I think the nav menu's fine for now.
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Too wide: http://toxic-penguin.com/main/

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers