SITE REVIEW: Trader Bots

• MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I created a new website with some friends about trading systems and stock analysis.

http://www.traderbots.com

I spent a suprisingly long time reworking the header, and the littlest things can make a world of difference. I wonder what else I should improve to make it more usable.

Also, is the color scheme to drab?

Lastly, do you get it? The concept I'm trying to convey might be a little opaque, so I'm not sure if I'm conveying the value proposition of the website very well.

Thoughts?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, what you are doing is basically something like NYSE, correct? If not, the front page doesn't make it clear enough.

The colors I guess are ok, although I am no expert on that. I would suggest (a was suggested to me) to use more than one color, but I don't know to what on your design :lol:

I like the simplicity of your design, although it could be a tad bit too simple :lol:

Also, W3C Validator found 15 errors in your 'about' page.. I suggest you fix all errors on all pages as well...

That's about it for now... good luck.
  • MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

doh! i missed the nail on the head. I'm aiming for kind of a stock prediction website. I added the big blue box on the home page just a few minutes ago to hopefully drive the point home.

I'm just awful with colors. My girlfriend says my site looks sketchy. Maybe colors will help. i'll play around with that.

General Question: Don't kill the n00b. Is being without errors really that important?
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mystery,
I am assuming that the blue box was added on "enter a stock option" section. I think its definitely the thing on the page that draws your attention. As far as the color scheme goes could I suggest a black, gray, green scheme (green for money). Just a thought. Also I like the wireframe robot but pulling away from the sketchy idea from your girlfriend you might want to go with something like this.

You might also want to put your disclaimer in a container, but other then that I think the content presentation is good and well arranged. Hope this helps.
  • MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have to run to work right now, but wow! I have to show my girlfriend what you just did. I'll respond in more length after work.
  • namecritic
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Miami Beach

Post 3+ Months Ago

I assume the three areas at the top will lead to other pages, where it says Find A Trading System, Learn To Trade, and Make Money. If so, those should have a different color to call attention to them.

I find that giving users 3 choices across the top like that is very effective, so good layout on that. I assume those pages will have some type of call to action to get the user to sign up, buy something, contact you, or whatever. Good sales approach if so.

Because currently, the only call to action is the one that says learn more about trader bots and goes to http://www.traderbots.com/stocks/About.aspx which has no calls to action.

Providing information to users is great, but providing information that does not guide the user to do something is missing an opportunity to close a sale, generate a lead, or get a new member.

I'm finding it difficult to find what you want users to do. Can you give me some insight as to the business plan? Will adsense be the only monetization here? Will you get people to sign up for a newsletter? Will you sell memberships that allow more advanced use of your system? Will you be selling advertising?

So, the website is giving me more questions than answers, but I'm sure you have some for me. :)
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

The little robot is just fun to play with. I think I like the third one the most.

• namecritic
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

The 4th one looks like ISpy.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok I added 2 more but now I have to get back to work. They're just fun.

Edit: If you pick one of the last 2 you could go with a logo element as well. Now really back to work.

• namecritic
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

very cool stuff cxlink. we should talk.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

feel free to pm me.
  • MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Didn't get to work much on the look and feel. Had some infrastructure issues sadly.

Still thinking about the black/gray/green concept.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry about the issues. Dont get overwhelmed by design elements just start with something simple like this, where you only change the background and the header. I mean you could put more time into it I just kinda threw this together to give you an idea.

Then if you finish this and want to take on the content do it when you get to it.
  • MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good advice. I'll do that.

I did some user studies with my friends. Realized how out of touch I got with my users, so I did some UX updates to make things more usable.

Mostly to help people understand the value add. Seems to work, because people are starting to come back.

Also, I should probably release my advanced algorithms.

Once I get the UX down, I'm going to pick the design back up. Exactly like you said.
  • MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey CXLink -

I made a change to have the shadowy background. it looks much better.

I'm rethinking the header and colors in general.

Stay tuned. Thanks for your expert input
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds good looking forward to it.
  • FreeTraffic168
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could use some feature background like stock mark etc. It's better.
  • MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just had a round of usability studies. Turns out our last design was pretty bad. Amazing what you learn by watching your users.

After a lot of work, and design reviews, we think we have something much cleaner, easier to use, and easier to understand.

See our new design:
http://www.traderbots.com/

Do you have any advice on anything else we can improve?

Our main questions are
1) What is confusing?
2) What features are missing that a user might want?
3) What can we improve in general

Let us know what you think.
  • cipher
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

MysteryLeo in regard to features I think that are missing or might want consider the following:
1. Using candle charts as the default and at least allowing users to switch between chart types.
2. Maybe more insight into how your bots are performing analysis. Personally I wouldn't just drink beer and sit back to have bots do tech analysis for me. The idea is enticing but real money is involved here.
3. Stock news: this may not be applicable since your idea is to have bots make picks on whatever analysis you are doing; however, a quick look at any fundamental analysis would be good too. So I think news would be a cool feature (it's good for confirming and gaining confidence in picks).
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

So are you planning on getting a basic layout and usability ironed out and then looking at other aspects of the site or are you looking for an overall critique right now?
  • Matthew
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not reading the previous replies as to give unbaised feedback on the site as it is now:

My overall impression is the site is very professional and feels as it should feel.

After doing my first stock search, I was expecting the search text field to remain in the same place. Maybe your mainpage could be simplified as google's main page is, just a search field and little else? That would tell the visitor that the search text field is obviously in a new place, just like it works for Google. http://www.domaintools.com/ sort of works this way, too, although I liked the simplicity that they use to have as now their site is slightly more complicated and confusing.
  • MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of our design friends gave us some quick tips and ideas.

Implemented most of them, and the homepage looks a lot more professional.

http://www.traderbots.com/
Would love some thoughts on what else we can improve on.

Also, does anyone know of any websites that have a really usable homepage.

Preferably, something that operates under the Freemium or Subscription business model, but we're interested in looking at examples of anything that isn't a blog.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

What does 'Bullish' and 'Bearish' means? Bullish is good and bearish is bad? Or vis-versa? Why did you chose those terms? Not saying you need those on your site... well, just a definition for them probably, not the 'why; part, I'm just interested in that case.

I think the design is a whole lot of improvement there... good job on it.

And another question I have about something I noticed... the robot winks on a random refresh, correct? I think that is kind of cool.
  • MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

cipher wrote:
MysteryLeo in regard to features I think that are missing or might want consider the following:
1. Using candle charts as the default and at least allowing users to switch between chart types.
2. Maybe more insight into how your bots are performing analysis. Personally I wouldn't just drink beer and sit back to have bots do tech analysis for me. The idea is enticing but real money is involved here.
3. Stock news: this may not be applicable since your idea is to have bots make picks on whatever analysis you are doing; however, a quick look at any fundamental analysis would be good too. So I think news would be a cool feature (it's good for confirming and gaining confidence in picks).

Good advice.

1. Yeah we haven't invested much in charting technology
2. Hmmmmmm. Need to think about this one. A lot of what we do is evolutionary to the point where it is more sophisticated than we are.
3. True. Also a SEO plus ;)
  • MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

CXLink wrote:
So are you planning on getting a basic layout and usability ironed out and then looking at other aspects of the site or are you looking for an overall critique right now?

We're still working on usability. Trying different things. Watching our analytics package.

Probably in November, December we're aiming to be more baked . . . aiming.
  • MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Matthew wrote:
I am not reading the previous replies as to give unbaised feedback on the site as it is now:

My overall impression is the site is very professional and feels as it should feel.

After doing my first stock search, I was expecting the search text field to remain in the same place. Maybe your mainpage could be simplified as google's main page is, just a search field and little else? That would tell the visitor that the search text field is obviously in a new place, just like it works for Google. http://www.domaintools.com/ sort of works this way, too, although I liked the simplicity that they use to have as now their site is slightly more complicated and confusing.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah we're starting to get that "professional" feel. I feel like it is only starting, so we still have some work to do. And we need a better logo.

Why do you expect the text field to remain in the same place? What do you expect to do next?

We were thinking just that Google feel. That's where the big blue box came from. However, watching users we realized a lot of people don't get it. That's why we need to explain to users what we do, and why they should care.

• MysteryLeo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • MysteryLeo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
What does 'Bullish' and 'Bearish' means? Bullish is good and bearish is bad? Or vis-versa? Why did you chose those terms? Not saying you need those on your site... well, just a definition for them probably, not the 'why; part, I'm just interested in that case.

I think the design is a whole lot of improvement there... good job on it.

And another question I have about something I noticed... the robot winks on a random refresh, correct? I think that is kind of cool.

Very weird what comes out when people start using the site. We get that bullish/bearish question a lot. It is very common terminology in our field, and I imagine our target customers get it. Also, green and red should hint, but maybe we need definitions maybe.

Yeah we've improved . . . and are still improving.

I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU NOTICED THE WINKING ROBOT! The little things matter :) or ;)

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol I was refreshing to see how the page load changes and was surprised when the robot closed his right eye... I think the page load is pretty quick :)
  • mobius
  • mobius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The few people I know with money have told me that information quickly, easily and correctly is their main concern. For attracting new people the site does not intimidate as some do.
  • freelance
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow
A lot of work here!
I thing that the only component that you are missing is:
Live Demo "How To Use The Site?"
Maybe flash movie or something like this

There is a link attach for example:
http://www.4xp.com/platform.php (this is not my site)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 30 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers