•  
    Bad

SITE REVIEW: TrickedRides.com

• trickedrides.com
  • Born
  • Born
  • trickedrides.com

Post 3+ Months Ago

Could I please get a review of http://www.trickedrides.com?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good layout and color scheme. I have to say, one of the first things I noticed was that your logo at the top for trickedrides.com is significantly smaller than the one you have for boostedup.com. I wouldnt have someone else's logo bigger than my own, even if its another site you own, or if you work for them, make your logo stand out, not that one.

Your menu is good. It could use some CSS or rollover effects. I think the dark grey doesnt suit the site though, you've used light grey in most places. So maybe change the color to the same light grey shade. Also, if you have time, make the top right hand corner of the last option (Your Account) curved, so it has a nice blended effect. I hope you get what I mean. Check out http://www.dlink.ca/, the way they have that curve to the button at the beginning, except yours would be the reverse effect. Below that, the search field could use a submit button, or just have a text field with a search button. Obviously anyone could just hit enter and get the same result, but its all about spoiling your user! Maybe the search format you have on the downloads page, put something similar there. Also below that, where you have the Create an Account link, you've only linked the word Create, you should link the whole phrase. Makes it easier for the user.

The navigation section you have is awesome! I really like the way you've done it, very professional and fits the site well. The rest of index looks great, only other suggestion, where you have the donations section, the alignment of the text is a bit wonky. Its uniform, but because some sentences are longer than others, the centred alignment looks weird. Maybe create a small table and align the titles (january's goal, due date, etc...) to the left and leave the others as is, just to make it look more organized. This is only for people who pay attention to detail, most users probably wont even care, so its an optional suggestion!

Your forums look great, good colors and divided up nicely. Same goes with the news section. Although, just for future reference, when you start getting a lot of articles, like over 50+, make sure you only display about 10 articles at a time, dont display them all on one page. I've seen people do this and it sucks scrolling 3 miles down a page to see a list of all available articles.

I have to say though, you site looks good and complete. Your code seems to have all the correct tags and looks great. Job well done.
  • pinkmiracle
  • Born
  • Born
  • pinkmiracle

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi there,

i think you should be using some sort of out-of-the-box php scripted website like php-nuke ... and that's why the layout looks so "fixed" and urmmmm "boxy"

try to break out from the template given and give it some more personality.

unless you really require the functions from the templated scripts, do your best to produce a site from scratch, then find ways to integrate the best functions into your design

regds,
pat
  • alerik
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: People Republic of China

Post 3+ Months Ago

I checked your site. Nice, simple and clean. The only thing that need some work is your logo......very low quality and still a big file.

Quote:
8.67 KB (8879 bytes)

The pictures of your product are not very nice. I think if you want to sell more than you should upgrade your pictures.

You can also try to make the message block a little smaller and where you put your full name a little bigger.

Good luck with your online shop.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like a pretty atypical PHP-Nuke site to me. Doesn't grab my attention except to say "I am new to website design and high-school." No offense, but I see a ton of 13-15 yr. old's using default PHP-Nuke templates because they have shoutboxes and polls. If you want a personal site then PHP-Nuke is great.....otherwise you need something custom!
  • mindofchester
  • mindofchester

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah,
not a site I'd expect to go with "tricked rides."
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
Looks like a pretty atypical PHP-Nuke site to me. Doesn't grab my attention except to say "I am new to website design and high-school." No offense, but I see a ton of 13-15 yr. old's using default PHP-Nuke templates because they have shoutboxes and polls. If you want a personal site then PHP-Nuke is great.....otherwise you need something custom!

ok, people really need to stop putting down the high school kids.. there's probably a lot of them in here that you don't even know are in high school.

Real review after my opinon:

Your logo should be reduced in file size A LOT. There are a lot of those modules on the left and right.. all in all, I think PHP-Nuke promotes a very cluttered design that could use some cleaning up. In my opinion, the top Nav bar should have something to go all the way across the top instead of just on one side. SO, put it in a table with a solid matching background or something. Take the admin link off of your front page... just doesn't make sense to have there. Also, why would you put search bots on the currently online stats? A stat of zero doesn't really help anything. I would also say that your images for the newest anouncements should most certainly not be the PHP-Nuke defaults. I would change it so that where the comments and rating stats are, would be closer to the article. It would make it a little easier on the eyes than everything being evenly spaces by appearence. In my opinion, the seperate articles should be grouped with comment stuff and spaced further from each other relatively to the comment posting area.
I would probably take out
Quote:
February┬┤s Goal: $30.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $30.00

This is because stats of zero donations don't really make the site look professional quite honestly.. maybe once there are donations you could put it up. I do like the carbon fiber look behing some of the module titles. I can't think of anything else for now.. hope that helps you.
  • snicksnack
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: China

Post 3+ Months Ago

To be honest, I think the contrast of the black on the top and below the white and blue is too strong it hurts my eyes a bit. Apart from this the site looks nice. Keep up the good work.
  • hellododge
  • Born
  • Born
  • hellododge

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the site alot. I dont like the searchbot thing on the right side of the page. Image quaility could be better.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

too me it just seems like you added a header and footer to an default nuke template. the logo does not look professional to me. a name like tricked rides should have a really cool looking tricked out logo don't you think ;)

everyone i'm 17 (i graduated from high school at 15) and no one i work for online ever guesses i'm a minor.
  • darkermoon
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Riverdale, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

a lot of the better webdesigners out there are like us, with lots of time.

//that sounds so stuck up, I mean like us as in being minors.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

darkermoon wrote:
a lot of the better webdesigners out there are like us, with lots of time.

//that sounds so stuck up, I mean like us as in being minors.

yeah but i have no time anymore. :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers