SITE REVIEW: TutorialSelect.com

• dre
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dre

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, i made this site like a few days ago! can you please review it im looking make it better. we currently have over 100 tutorials could you also submit your tutorials thanks! PLEASE TELL ME THE NEGATIVE aswell as positives! :P

here is the link http://tutorialselect.com
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• webmasterforum
  • Student
  • Student
  • webmasterforum

Post 3+ Months Ago

Negative -You forgot the link :D
  • farmer_Tom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • farmer_Tom
  • Loc: Oaklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like this site, particularly its blue-green layout, which works quite well here. I would use DHTML to show your category options instead of "PHP / Photoshop / Others". Also, check your navigation bar because all your links go to your homepage. Lastly, I would center the submit form to make it look professional. Looks like your site is off on the right foot, though!
  • Mentos
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

try adding more graphics, especially in the top banner :) other than that looks neat :)
  • gregorym
  • Born
  • Born
  • gregorym
  • Loc: Israel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your site is very clean from color point of view and gives pleasent feeling
to stay in.
To my opinion for given category, design and content is too compatible.

Good luck
  • ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the way everything is clean and smooth (unlike good-tutorials) and easy to understand. This is why the Logo disappointed me. The leaf is just like every other logo and the overall logo is isn't sharp, smooth and clean like the rest of the site.

I think there needs to be a green or blue border 1pixel width from top to bottom, as when you scroll down and get away from the navigation its just random centred text. Thats another thing, the first page is too long.

One thing I HATE is mouse over adverts. Please loose them they annoy meso much. Also i would advise going away from Clicksor and going to Google because a Google adverts bar down the side that is not in boxes and orange would be alot nicer :roll: .

The coding is good lots and lots of it :!: however the html is very slightyl muddled. Again nice other coding.

Good. I like it. Now all you need is more tutorials!

P.S. As you only have 3 sections i would advise putting links to them on the page somewhere more obvious than just the top.
  • dre
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dre

Post 3+ Months Ago

any1 willing to make me a logo? i suck ar gfx :(
  • ace5p1d0r
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will if I have time and Ill PM you with it. Please dont count on it though! Any preferances?
  • BooGiE_MaN
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Cape Town, South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not too shabby!
The only eye-sore is the grey bar between the header and content.

I see your articles open in new windows and are framed - If these become landing pages from search engines you wont get any ratings from the searcher. Do you run PowerHouse as well or did they submit that article?
  • Ian
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

My one complaint is that when reading about the tut, like the date added, desc ect, they are all different colors(descreet at least) but its kinda confusing. I dont know if it would look good, but i would try picking on color, bolding it, and using that as the little things htat say say "Description: this tutial does something...blah"
  • agate20
  • agate20

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks good in general. A couple of suggestions:
1) A little bit too much color variation in your list of tutorials.
2) “Date Added” looks blue. Blue should be reserved for links.
3) You might want to make better use of the space above the search bar.
  • brittanyblair
  • brittanyblair
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good setup, Its not too crowded and it doesnt look extremely empty. im impressed.
  • multiplayeren
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • multiplayeren

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the choose of colours and size. Its easy to walk through, and not all other kind of stuff there really dont belong on a site like yours.

Seen to many tut-sites with alot of crap, and maby on 25/- of 100% were the stuff were tut...

Nice job, but replace the logo.... i saw you had someone to do it for you, and thats nice. because the leafe now, are "stupid" if you understand what i mean!..

Hope you will get a lot of submits on your site in the near future.

best regards

kasper
  • aceindigo
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Delhi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
Good Site but try o try to replace your logo . and also put some more cateories loki microsoft technologies etc;
  • sannsar4
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Prishtina / Kosovo

Post 3+ Months Ago

its intresting
  • Gargen
  • Gargen

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice but the banner on the side needs to be adjusted its overlapping the footer
  • Space Goat
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Space Goat
  • Loc: Washington, D.C.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would pay attention to how the site looks in Firefox. The index page looks fine in Internet Explorer, but in Firefox, the ad to the right obscures the copyright notice at the bottom.
  • R.L.D.
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Astoria,Queens

Post 3+ Months Ago

site looks good , organized , but i would say i needs to be more eye-catching... better graphics.
  • dre
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dre

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey i update my site, new logo new tutorial system tell me what you think! im also using a new tutorial system (auto tutorials)
  • bluedragon
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • bluedragon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great looking site, but a suggestion is to add a forum for others to share and get help from each other.
  • dre
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dre

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well they can use thewebtalk.com thats my forum!
  • Global
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Global

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great Tutorial Site, I'm using a tutorial right now, i think you can improve the navigation bar and make a better mouse-over effect. Other than that its great. I like the colour scheme it kinda suits tutorial sites idk why :P
  • dre
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dre

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOOOW thanks for the tip i added on mouse-over and it make it easier to navigate. THANKS!

check it tutorialselect.com
  • iamkoa
  • iamkoa

Post 3+ Months Ago

The green and blue colors clash a little too much for my liking. The gradients also seem to take away from the actual design. I'm not talking about the entire site when saying thing, just the banner (top) area.

I suggest using colors that don't clash as much and perhaps using a third color instead of just two.

I DO like the simplistic style and easy navigation. That's something some sites forget: simple doesn't mean bad.
  • dre
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dre

Post 3+ Months Ago

I added a webmasters (http://www.tutorialselect.com/webmasters) section also a topsites! Check em out!
  • dre
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dre

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have done a new layout, a more simpler look.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers