• Fara0^
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Fara0^

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I would like you to review my site, http://www.tutorialtomb.com

Here are a little description:

We offer you alot of Free webmaster resources, including:
Free Photoshop tutorials - Learn Photoshop with our free tutorials.
Free quality templates - Download free web templates.
Webmaster articles - Read about varius webmaster stuff.
Free Photoshop brushes - Download our Free Photoshop brushes.
Useful links - Links to about everything important.
Interviews - Read interviews with other designers.
Reviews - Read reviews of Websites, Software and Scripts!
Free wallpapers - Download our free wallpapers.
Free logos - If you need a logo for your site, look there!
Avatars, Emoticons and Icons - Download them for free!

You can say whatever you want, design, content, whatever.

Thanks! :) :D
  • desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the top image - it looks cool. I don't like the colour of the text (navy blue) on the brown background... I find it's a bit hard to read. The colours are 'drab' and there isn't enough contrast.
  • indodependo
  • indodependo

Post 3+ Months Ago

site didnt load for me done know why
  • Fara0^
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Fara0^

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just fixed the loding problem, wrote wrong url ;P
Desert, how should the colors be then? :)
  • DodgeCroft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I imagine that you're going with the brown because of TOMB (make it look old). But navy doesn't fit with 'old'. Maybe use a different font and texture the background to look like paper. Not sure if this in line with what you're trying to achieve, if not - tell us what it is. I didn't see any css tutorials, many people are experiment with css and want to learn more.
  • mr_darek
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your top banner "Tutorial Tomb" is not clearly legible, I would brighten the text up a bit to stand out a little better as it is somewhat hard to read.

I think the background color black might be a better alternative and just have the body copy black as well with dark navy blue as headlines....or vice versa.

There isn't any reason for having your navigation links centered like that, in fact, I think it would look much better if they were aligned the standard left alighned (or rag right). That goes for the copy under Home as well...It would do the reader justice if you wouldn't center the main text like that.

Otherwise, the site itself is well on its way, good job.
  • farmer_Tom
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • farmer_Tom
  • Loc: Oaklahoma

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the site's design, especially the top logo, nice graphix work. The text should be left aligned and maybe you should have seperate news page instead of one long, scrolling homepage. Reading your about page, I especially grew to like your new design ;). On the navigation, your affiliate and contact links should be near the bottom with your site's actual content near the top and if possible, remove the eXtReme Tracker image from the bottom of the page. Overall a good useful site that I'll be sure to come back to.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is nothing to make it obvious where the visitor should start reading, or where she should start navigating. It isn't obvious within two seconds what your site's purpose is; it takes more like four. Also, having "Link us" and "Affiliates" at the top of your navigation menu simply exudes unprofessionalism. Your names for things are undescriptive, such as "webmaster articles." What is a "webmaster article"? That description is insanely generic.

Also, at least one of your tutorials or articles has random line breaks in the middle of paragraphs, and these do not belong. Additionally, people do not like reading centered text. Also, there is not enough contrast to make reading comfortable.

Also, this sentence makes the overuse of "also" even more grating to the reader.
  • Fara0^
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Fara0^

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will seriusly think about all of this, thank you so much.
I am pretty sure I will soon make a complete redesign, would it ruin the "image" if I didnt use "tombish" colors?

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.
  • desertland
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • desertland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think it would hurt the design at all, no. Visitors would much rather have a site that's clear and easy to read =)
  • Fara0^
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Fara0^

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, sounds good ;)
Sticking to brown colors is actually quite hard :P
  • _4_
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: @ my crater

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the layout of the page!!! the brown is nice!!!

*4*
  • _4_
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: @ my crater

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have just reviewed your site again!! My main point is about the Navigation!!! why don't you try making a CSS menu other than that plain navigation!!!

here is a link with some CSS menus!!!

http://e-lusion.com/design/menu/

there is a brown menu!!! Best part of all the menus are free!!! You can use google and find more... You can search for "CSS Menu" , "Introduction to CSS" and lots more!!!! I am currently learning CSS from sites here and there!!!

have a great time

*4*
  • Fara0^
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Fara0^

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for that 4, I will think about it :D
Any other? :D
  • camperjohn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: San Diego

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just a quick thought, have you tried a white font?

The black font on brown background is really difficult to read.
  • Fara0^
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Fara0^

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will try a white font now, looks better?
http://www.tutorialtomb.com
  • Fara0^
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Fara0^

Post 3+ Months Ago

I changed it to dark again, it looked awfull!
  • DodgeCroft
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried an orange or cream colour?
  • Managedlinks
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Managedlinks

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found the colours offputting as well especially while you are waiting for the page to load.

before the image loads the background is blue and this provides no contrast to the text. also users on slower connections who turn off images are stuck with the poor contrasting text.

Try setting the table background colours to a higher contrast colour such as white, you can then at least read the text while you are waiting for the page to load. some people like me may quit before the images load because they can't read it properly.

Always try to load a site through a slow connection before deciding whether you have done a good job or not

Yeah I know my site isn't all that great on a slow connection :( I will get around to fixing it...
  • Fara0^
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Fara0^

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the tip managed, good idea!
Any more? :)
  • sebastianx
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sebastianx

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like it is going to have plenty of resources. I don't really like the brownish color of the site it could be easier on the eye! I like the idea of video tutorials.

S~
  • Fara0^
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Fara0^

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok sebastian, anyone who knows good and free software for making video tuts? :)
  • reaper
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: europe

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have read some post about the centered text is not prefered by most people, i have to disagree on that, i find centered text easier to read then big texts, especialy with no deviders in between.

With centered text you can read the text much faster in my expierence, newspapers in general have centered texts.

The only thing i can say about the site is that like most people already have said is the font color, it's really frustrating to read.

And some spelling mistakes i also noticed in the sand box article, don't mind my spelling mistakes because i am foreign :wink: .

What you could do is make a white background with black fonts or grey fonts combined with a border of the brown color you have now.

I will be coming back to your site for the tutorials, keep the photoshop tuts coming
:wink:
  • gtop100
  • Born
  • Born
  • gtop100
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

cool layout and nice design =)
  • Fara0^
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Fara0^

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hehe, thanks gtop100 ;D
Right now I am redesigning the whole thing to go with the forum skin ;)
  • lbaker
  • lbaker

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey
Yer the site is good, has a good layout and design. The banner is nice, but wouldnt hurt for a tune up.
  • amit_it7
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Delhi

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried to opened your site but it looks not working...you should always keep your site in working otherwise it's a bad impression i think you can understand....
  • tomkuegler
  • tomkuegler

Post 3+ Months Ago

To me the header text looks too much like the header background. It is very difficult to read. I think you would be much better off with a contrasting collor for the text.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers