SITE REVIEW: Unonymous.com - Intelligence Testing

• TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

For a long time I've had a few of my own ideas on intelligence. I am sort of against the way IQ tests represented these days. Plenty people come to me and say "I scored a 127 on an IQ test, and then my 12 year old sister got a 112! I must be stupid or something". What a lot of people fail to realize is that IQ tests are measuring mental age, there's a simple way to fix that. By simply calculating the mental age for them.

Although, thats not the all around idea of the site, it is part of it. I have plenty ideas to work with still towards the benefit of the site. I just hope people enjoy it.

Unonymous.com - Intelligence has met its match.

I've spent a year, on and off on this site. Mostly confusion as to how most of the ideas will work out, and criticism on the idea always bothered me. But I guess now its just time to finish it up, and get it out there. Thanks for any reviews ahead of time.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good choice of colours

Try removing the italics in your navbar, it's hard to read same for the green text graphic at the top & the text under the logo.

Don't publish your site when you seem to still be testing it. I clicked to the recent submissions area and the admin (who I pressume is yourself) posted a bunch of test content. Don'tdo that! If the site isn't finished DO NOT PUT IT LIVE! Same goes for your forums area!!

Use css instead of inline font tags.

I really like the design of the site :)
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not exactly "published" yet. Sure it is available for public view, but not too many people know about it. Just showing you guys for some last minute tips before I finish most of the rest. Have some larger plans that will take some weeks to complete.

I'll look into css, I never really understood it before, but then again, I only looked at it for a few seconds, lol.

"the green text graphic at the top" - What green text graphic on top?

The "italics" in my nav bar and under the logo (the quotes) are in a font I used just as a "navigation font". If it is all that hard to read, I can change it within seconds. I kinda understand with the quotes under the logo. Maybe the color doesn't go so well with its background. Guess I've never had a problem reading it. Any comments on this besides the 1? Even though the 1 is greatly appreciated! :)
  • fawh
  • Student
  • Student
  • fawh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with 613flavah. Get rid of the italic text. Other than that, it looks great.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

TsX wrote:
"the green text graphic at the top" - What green text graphic on top?

I'm an idiot lol I meant to say ORANGE italic graphic text. :oops:
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, no problem. if you said green, it really must be hard on the eyes. Guess I never had a problem with it.

About the "italics", its not italics, its just the font. I've been looking for another font, but I don't see much that I like besides this one. *sigh*

Well, its a sunday night, I'm going out, When I get home later, I'll be up for another 3-4 hours coding. I got a list down of things to do. I'll get em done for tomorrow.

Any recommendations on font? I want it to be sleek, yet according to you guys, "readable". I don't mind changing the quotations font, as I too realize it is a bit strainful on the eyes, and the bigger quotes look a bit cruddy. I'll get some work done and get back to ya. Trying to finish my studies in psychology to get a someone "legitimate" test up and running.
  • ilyawizard
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ilyawizard

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the design, but agree with flavah italics dont look very good. I spent some time on IQ testing in college myself (as part of my psych minor), found it very intersting, even that it was used not properly. Anyway, website looks good, did u try to make ur own php forum?
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, all agreed, design is good. Working on a replacement font, any suggestions would be helpful. Forum came as a plugin - phpbb. I've had problems installing it before, I hope I don't have any problems this time. I would consider coding my own forum, is it hard? lol, haven't really taken the time to think about it, but if its not to hard, I would definitely take it into consideration to keep it within the site.

IQ tests, I dislike... a lot. lol -- Just bothers me when I take 5 different tests out there and range from 120-160. Thats a pretty big difference. I'm doing a personal study into it, trying to get some of my own ideas to work. Which I'm sure they will if I can get the whole web design thing down :P

I have college in the spring, I'll surely be taking some psychology, my mathematics is definitely my major. Also, recently put out a few e-mails to well know psychology teachers. Expressing my idea and trying to get some feedback.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

TsX wrote:
About the "italics", its not italics, its just the font. I've been looking for another font, but I don't see much that I like besides this one. *sigh*

Any recommendations on font? I want it to be sleek, yet according to you guys, "readable". I don't mind changing the quotations font, as I too realize it is a bit strainful on the eyes, and the bigger quotes look a bit cruddy. I'll get some work done and get back to ya. Trying to finish my studies in psychology to get a someone "legitimate" test up and running.

Not off the top of my head but I'd suggest to look through font sites and download a bunch of different ones and test them all out. If you need links to decent font sites just give me a holla. :)
  • t0yb0x
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey for the nav bar try using a text like Tahoma. Its original but it would go off good with the overall layout of the site. If you use it I think you will know what I mean.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, I put up the new font. I noticed the new font makes the site a bit more formal which I like. Debating on the quote font/color. I was wondering the same font I am using for the navigation bar and the dark blue color found around most of the site. as the quotation section is a cut out of it all.

I figured I'd ask for another review as to how the font looks. Didn't get much work done today, I've been everywhere but here.

Recently I've had brainstorms on ideas for the site, and they won't stop flying. So I'm gunna try and slow down, finish bugs on the site first, maybe a few small features. and then work on the ideas.

One thing that has been daunting me. Making my own forum to fit within the center frame. I figured it would look probably a lot nicer, and go with the flow. But if at all possible, it would take me awhile. The experience would be nice. How possible is this. I don't want to start and be like..... ****. lol

BTW, Thanks for all your input.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

TsX the new font looks soo much better! Great improvement :banana:

As for the orange quote try using naother colour, the orange is fairly bright, stick to a colour that will compliment the rest of the site. You don't want the quote to stand out as it does now. It's not meant to be the main attraction on your site now is it?
  • harlequeen
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Wales

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the look of it, but it needs to be spell checked. I really like the quotes, but not necessarily in orange!

Cheers
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know I know I know the orange on the quotes, along with its font, has to go, if anything I knew it more than the font type on the navigation bar. I'm going through a few ideas with it, I'll have a new style up at the end of the day.

About spelling errors, I've noticed LOTS of them myself, but the spelling errors are minor compared to other things I need to finish on the site.

By tomorrow night there should be a LOT of changes, and hopefully we'll see how you all like it then.
  • webinv
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webinv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very unique site. I like it how the images are complex and simple at the same time. Very appealing to the eye. I am going to bookmark the site and read all the information once I get home from work.

Keep up the good work.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

of all things... lol, I changed the quotes to retrieve from a database, also random. But for some damn reason, that image wants to hang out on the right by a single bloody pixel :x -- bothering the crap out of me. I spent an hour trying to fix it, but its a no go. :(
  • Ravanol
  • Ravanol

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love the site! I am envious of your eye for graphics.... I especially like the way the blue boxes have ripped edges.. and each edge is different for each box! How do you do that?

Good luck with finishing the content. I look forward to seeing what games you include :)

Rav.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you should allow non-registered users to view more content. It makes it more of a "me and my friends" thing by making everyone log in.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the box thing. The images are 2 colors, which makes for a very small GIF file size. I basically have images set in pixel lengths for each 'fixed' section. I did random seeds in fireworks for different looks for each one. for 'unknown' lengths, I have an infinitely long one that stretches to fix any size of text.

As for the limited content. People not being able to access the genius section is for many reasons. But I have an idea to help with people still viewing content from that section. Besides, genius is the whole 'interactive' part. It really helps when you're logged in.

And the whole site I believe will succeed on people telling people. So if someone recommends the site, of course they are going to sign up to see what it is.

Working hard today :wink:
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good looking webpage.

Just one suggestion..

I don't, nor have I ever liked the font Times New Roman; too plain looking.

My sugestion would be to change the navigation font to arial or verdana, bold, or to another font that isn't one of the mainly used ones (mainly used ones are arial, verdana, times new roman, arial narrow, etc.).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers