SITE REVIEW: Untitled Gaming Network

• bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

A little over an hour ago (estimated, I started work on a new website. It's both a gaming community and clan website, but rather than flashy visuals and shock imagery, I've aimed at creating a standards-compliant, easy-to-read, virtually imageless design. Okay, so the last isn't so true—there are a lot of gradient images. However, I've made an effort to keep those file sizes small (and intend to wittle them even lower by the time I release the site).

Anyhow, I'd just like some initial feedback on the general look and feel of the page. I developed it in Firefox and tested it in IE and both should display it flawlessly. If you use or have access to other browsers, feel free to give me a heads up if there are critical graphical glitches (and a fix if possible). One last thing: I've had trouble in the past with brightness/contrast on various monitors. I'm hoping that the colors aren't too dark on some monitors, as that would severely detract from the page.

http://www.ligerexpress.com/clan

Thanks in advance.

PS: The three boxes near the top of the page will have images from selected games that relate to the clan portion of the site. Know that they are not just clunky, strange boxes floating in the middle of nowhere. Though, in my opinion, even if they were, they look neat.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• pmp6nl
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • pmp6nl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well there is no page. But based on the "This page has been stoled", I would say it might be to a little over the top with the use of numbers in the words (whatever you call that.)
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, I changed the URL and forgot to update it.

PS: You would do well not to judge it based on the 404 page. There are no numbers ("leetspeak") either way.

PPS: I checked the site on a different computer and, for whatever reason, the dynamic menu was located to the right of the main content area. I'm not sure if it's due to the resolution or what, but I'm not sure what caused it. It should look like this: http://www.ligerexpress.com/private/should_look.gif
  • pmp6nl
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • pmp6nl

Post 3+ Months Ago

bluephoenix wrote:

Sorry, I changed the URL and forgot to update it.

PS: You would do well not to judge it based on the 404 page. There are no numbers ("leetspeak") either way.

Well alot of people dont know what leet speak is.

Otherwise the site looks good. When content is added it will be a nice site.

I would suggest adding an index file so when they type in http://www.ligerexpress.com/ they actually get to a page.
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

My 'ligerexpress' domain is more or less just webspace I toy around with; I don't intend to actually host a website with traffic on it.
  • pmp6nl
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • pmp6nl

Post 3+ Months Ago

bluephoenix wrote:
My 'ligerexpress' domain is more or less just webspace I toy around with; I don't intend to actually host a website with traffic on it.

Oh, alright...thanks for the clarification
  • bleepnik
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: South Jersey, US

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fast-loading and not graphics- and/or advertising-heavy. I appreciate your aspirations for this site and think you're off to a great start.

Good luck!
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the comments!

Hopefully it can remain light on advertising, as well, because I intend to uphold a 1 advertisement max limit.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Edit your first post and change the link to stop any future confusion.

How come if I click on the 'lost page' link I get redirected to a page that doesn't exist? And that page that doesn't exist doesn't redirect or let me go to one that does!

Just about every section could be changed.

Your forum logo is PhpBB?

Roster - Hmmm one leader and 2 rejected... Wonder what will happen to me if I join?

Strategy - Not much there

Files - Then why do you have it?

Quote:
tC? What the hell?

Maybe just 'What is tC?'

Press - See Files

Advertising - Where's the banner?

Hosting - Perhaps update this...
  • agent14
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • agent14
  • Loc: Barbados

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice design, needs some content. Only an hour is gone tho, I'm aware of that.
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Azoundria wrote:
Edit your first post and change the link to stop any future confusion.

How come if I click on the 'lost page' link I get redirected to a page that doesn't exist? And that page that doesn't exist doesn't redirect or let me go to one that does!

Just about every section could be changed.

Your forum logo is PhpBB?

Roster - Hmmm one leader and 2 rejected... Wonder what will happen to me if I join?

Strategy - Not much there

Files - Then why do you have it?

Quote:
tC? What the hell?

Maybe just 'What is tC?'

Press - See Files

Advertising - Where's the banner?

Hosting - Perhaps update this...

You're commenting on content when I specifically said design. As for changing the link, I thought I had done so.

The forums have had nothing done to them yet.

Hosting has not been set. I'm still using my own testing webspace.

I've disabled the advertisement for now (seeing as it was a mock ad anyway).

Roster is overtly fake, and even explicity states "mock-up."

Files will eventually be implemented.

"What is tC?" Well, at the moment, it's a shell of a design awaiting attention to detail. Nothing is written in stone. I mean, honestly, the copyright reads "this page is leik, copywroted."

Why I wasted the time to sort through all of that, I don't know.
  • Azoundria
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

You said 'look and feel'. Sorry for wasting your time.
  • ablaye
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ablaye

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the design. It is simple. However, you need to work on the right column and add more stuff there.
Also, the website looks a like bit too greyish. Try to add some more lively colors.
  • bluephoenix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ablaye wrote:
I like the design. It is simple. However, you need to work on the right column and add more stuff there.

There will be, eventually. It will hold a "Table of Contents" for the page, and will directly allow for user login. It may or may not have an advertisement, as well, but only time will tell.
  • wincyclopedia
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • wincyclopedia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it is a good start. It loads fast.

It is hard to a good thorough review though until it gets a little farther down the development pipe. What is there is fine though.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the thin simple design.. the user cp looks a little out of place. other then that loosk good to the eyes

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers