SITE REVIEW: Variacom.com

• peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetings and Salutations:

This forum is great! So many talented folks out there...I feel like a slug in comparison. Anyway, I'm still trying to get a handle on the whole web site design process; it's definitely a right-brain venue.

My website is finished...I suppose. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. Here's the site address:

http://www.variacom.com/

Thanks All!
  • kocisz
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Salutations!

Pretty cool site, although it's missing something... maybe some background? Not for the whole website just behind the main table... just an idea ;)

Also there seems to be something wrong with the alignment of the tables themselves.. I think they are off a couple pixels, or maybe align to the left instead of being centered.

Oh, yeah.. I almost forgot my favourite point: chcek the site with: http://validator.w3.org/ your html doesn't validate! The mistakes are really minor though.. ;)

And on a more subjective matter.. I don't like all that use of JavaScript.. but then again I'm a little prejudist here.

On a more cheerful note, the site looks nice with lots of good content. Keep it up!
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kocisz:

Thanks for the constructive critisism. The table alignment is an issue i've been trying to figure out; i've embeded a few div tags into some of the tables to get that "rounded" corner effect and for some reason i can't seem to get the right alignment.

Your suggestion to add something to the backgroud on the main table is excellent; it gave me an idea...thanks

As for the javascript, i thought i had eliminated all of it on my main page...it must be legacy stuff...i'll look into that....thanks again.
  • kocisz
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMHO mixing and matching divs with tables might be complicating issues even further instead of solving them...

That calendar seems to be messing up the alignment, or at least makes it appear a little off...
  • Fergie
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey I love the graphics.

The eye is awesome.
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fergie:

thank ya, thank ya very much. yeah the "eye" has somewhat of an appeal...appreciate you taking the time to look-over my site.
  • Sxperm
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sxperm

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pros.
- Looks nice, theme suit with site topic.
- white font with blue background, easy to read.
- Design and overview is perfectly, easy to navigate itself.

Cons.
- Font may too small if reader are older age (30+) or someone that have eye problems.
- for "Under the hood" should increase site font or change font. I think is hard to read even I'm a younger man.

Overall 8.5 / 10

cheers,
Sxperm
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sxperm:

Thank you for the critique. Your comment on the use of fonts was right on the money. i've been going back-and-forth on whether i should increase their size...and now thanks you i will make the neccessary changes.

thank you.
  • auto1
  • Loc: Kent

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, like the site...initially i thought that the blue was a bit "cold" but it ceases to be an issuse after visiting your site several times. The only thing I would suggeest is that perhaps the black background could be made softer. So maybe have a dark grey or a mesh like background...I think these suggestions are really a matter of personal preference. On the whole good site!
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Auto1:

i've received some fine critiques from my fellow web design denizens, all of which have helped me to achieve the desired effect...thank you all.

Your suggestion to change the background to a dark grey or mesh-like is appealing, and will incorporate that into a rotational design. As you know, a web site should always be a work-in-progress; ergo, change is part of the design process.

Thank you for your input.
  • money_mike
  • money_mike

Post 3+ Months Ago

your layout looks very professional. One thing that i might have done is lighten up the colors, but that is only a personal opinion, so if you like it just ignore me
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Money_mike:

Thank you for taking the time to check out my site. Your suggestion on color is duly noted.
  • tarikdw1
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • tarikdw1

Post 3+ Months Ago

im not a professional website builder but looking at it the site is different and has a lot of content seems like a winner
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tarikdw1:

Thanks for the critique. Imho, it's the content that makes the site standout.
  • Anaster
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I usually like to use up and down arrow keys to scroll up and down a page. When I hit the down arrow key I get a javascript alert telling me that I'm not allowed to do that. I recommend removing that alert, I'm not the only person who does that I suspect.
  • peterrod
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anaster:

Didn't realize that it was an issue with Firefox, since that annoyance doesn't occur in Opera or IE...certainly don't want to offend those who prefer to use that web browser. Thanks for pointing that out.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts
  • Moderator: Website Reviewers